Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider doesn't provide control panel. What now?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider doesn't provide control panel. What now?

ChuckChuck Member

My VPS doesn't provide Solus Virtual Manager or OpenVZ Panel.
Instead they give me this crap:

The CPU, RAM and HDD do not work. I have no idea what my CPU % in real time is. I think it is just for show. Btw, I have to use the web browser to access this control panel.
Should I ask for refund?

Comments

1. If provider name's not top secret, can you tell it?

2. Do they announce custom control panel on their Web site (i.e., were you warned about that prior to purchase)?

• blackblack Member

It just looks like a different control panel, and yeah RAM / HDD doesn't seem to be working. However, you should be able to answer some of your questions with top and some bandwidth monitoring tools. Just ssh in and go from there.

• nerouxneroux Member

You always have to use a browser and apart from the possibly not working statistics I'd say there is everything you need. Have you contacted them about the statistics?

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited June 2014

@Master_Bo said:
    2. If provider name's not top secret, can you tell it?

1. Do they announce custom control panel on their Web site (i.e., were you warned about that prior to purchase)?

http://cloudatcost.com/

I emailed them 3 days ago. No answer. I'm glad I paid $17.5 for it.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

That's seems cool, which provider is this?

• wychwych Member

Use top/htop in ssh to see your usage.

Looking at that you can tell the IP, power it on and off, web console.

Alright maybe your missing rDNS...

CloudAtCost the one time payment provider?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2014

@Chuck said:
    The CPU, RAM and HDD do not work. I have no idea what my CPU % in real time is. I think it is just for show. Btw, I have to use the web browser to access this control panel.
    Should I ask for refund?

What the..... do you really think that:

A) SolusVM provides this in REAL TIME?

B) SolusVM is accurate?

C) That everyone that uses servers clicks on solusvm to check what CPU use they have?

I dont even....

Yes you should absolutely ask for a refund ASAP and put the money towards a fully managed service such as wiredtree or knownhost.

edit: just re-read and my reply reads way harsher than intended, my underlying points stand though, it will have required a hell of a lot more skill and knowledge to provide that then just go with solusvm so you calling it crap due to your own lack of ability to manage a server is a bit out of line.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • To be honest, I don't believe in one-time-cost VMs.

Request refund, and I suggest doing research on popular hosting forums such as WHT, prior to purchase.

Good luck!

• nerouxneroux Member

@Master_Bo said:
    Request refund, and I suggest doing research on popular hosting forums such as WHT, prior to purchase.

Charges for the Services are non-refundable.

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited June 2014

@neroux said:
    Charges for the Services are non-refundable.

"Refunds are irrelevant. Your money will be assimilated. Chargebacks are futile"

Well, then just forget about them, and be more careful next time.

Update: read this WHT review
    http://bit.ly/1rb5lAX

It contains interesting details, IMO.

• nerouxneroux Member

Master_Bo said: Well, then just forget about them, and be more careful next time.

I still dont know what the problem is.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • wychwych Member

@neroux said:
    I still dont know what the problem is.

OP wanted a panel with working usage graphs. Or expected Solus login.

• By the way, they state they are part of http://www.fibernetics.ca/

If CloudAtCost doesn't respond, try contacting Fibernetics.

• wychwych Member

What is he meant to contact them about?

They offer no refunds.

• @wych said:
    What is he meant to contact them about?

They offer no refunds.

Customer has a product that can't be used. Tech.support keeps silent. I suppose these two issues are good grounds to contact them about.

• nerouxneroux Member

@Master_Bo said:
    Customer has a product that can't be used. Tech.support keeps silent. I suppose these two issues are good grounds to contact them about.

How can he not use it? Only the web-based statistics are not functional, thats hardly the product.

• wychwych Member

@neroux said:
    How can he not use it? Only the web-based statistics are not functional, thats hardly the product.

This.

• @neroux said:

The discussion at this stage goes meaningless.
    I recommended OP whom to contact. Let him decide whether it's worth trying.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

The web based statistics not working could be a result of browser security settings - i.e. if the web page is on https and the images for the statistics are served over http, depending on browser settings this could be the reason why they wouldn't be displayed.

@Chuck please try with another browser too?

• nerouxneroux Member

Master_Bo said: The discussion at this stage goes meaningless. I recommended OP whom to contact. Let him decide whether it's worth trying.

We just need to make sure to use the right wording. The problem is not the product but the lack of support.

• nerouxneroux Member

rds100 said: The web based statistics not working could be a result of browser security settings - i.e. if the web page is on https and the images for the statistics are served over http, depending on browser settings this could be the reason why they wouldn't be displayed.

Very good point.

• @neroux said:
    We just need to make sure to use the right wording. The problem is not the product but the lack of support.

I agree, the lack of support looks a real problem.

• I think it's understood that there is no support as it's a one-time fee. The website isn't explicit about it however.

• nerouxneroux Member

AThomasHowe said: I think it's understood that there is no support as it's a one-time fee.

That cant be. There always has to be basic support for the overall service.

• neroux said: That cant be. There always has to be basic support for the overall service.

Well if the network goes down and that yeah, I always thought it was similar to LowEndSpirit in the amount of support it provides, though. If they're a little worse... meh. That's what $17.50/lifetime buys you.

I'm not saying it's good, I just think that's the deal there.

• nerouxneroux Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    I'm not saying it's good, I just think that's the deal there.

Well, the one-time fee itself is highly suspicious. But still, because of this they cannot say they dont provide basic support for their service.

• neroux said: Well, the one-time fee itself is highly suspicious. But still, because of this they cannot say they dont provide basic support for their service.

The company have been providing free SIP services for a long time, I think it's unlikely they'll just disappear. The service will continue to degrade though for sure.

Their blog and the other threads on 'em give a good background.

• nerouxneroux Member

AThomasHowe said: The company have been providing free SIP services for a long time, I think it's unlikely they'll just disappear. The service will continue to degrade though for sure.

Providing a service for all eternity for less than 20 (and this is basically what they are advertising) is highly unrealistic, even more than what the typical summer host promises.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For all eternity, it is too much said, maybe the customer will eventually die and forget to leave the VPS to the next of kin in the will?
    That being said, i prefer to give BlueVM 10 bucks a year for 512 MB KVM than this.

Thanked by 1XxNisseGamerxX
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@Chuck

If refund is not an option you could install www.ajenti.org on your server. it will show you realtime stats and you can use it to easily manage your server, it even has a SSH client in its webinterface that works without the need of third-party plugins like java.

Screenshot:

Thanked by 1Chuck