Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vr.org reviews
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vr.org reviews

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited April 2012 in Reviews

Hi Folks

Does anyone has any reviews about vr.org?

Cheers

Comments

• flyfly Member

i think linode and vr are about the same in terms of quality. both have their custom control panels that are really good.

$20 for 512 is a little expensive, but it's definitely worth it for the reliability and control panel.

• flyfly Member

i know this thread is a bit old, but let me update on that vr quality is not as good as it seems. I recommend 6sync.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've never heard of 6sync before. I love their website, it's so colorful and unexpected for a vps provider. Is their panel as interesting of an experience as they make it appear to be?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

hmmm it looks like that 6sync has only one datacenter

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

6sync has been around for several years. They are in Equinix datacenter in New York.

I've always been very impressed with their server performance and I like their custom homemade control panel (Biscuit). But you know, it's just a control panel :-) Certainly nicer than Solus. It really doesn't look like anything else. It works fine but I don't know if I'd pick a provider based solely on their custom control panel :-)

I think Mario (one of the owners) was one of the early Slicehost crew but don't quote me. He's in Croatia and his partner Raj is in India.

Anyway, great provider, but linode-priced with corresponding performance. They don't really target the LEB crowd.

• flyfly Member
    edited May 2012

it actually out-performs linode by a lot.

jchen@paulnewman> dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync;rm test 
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.47313 s, 309 MB/s

As compared to linode (fremont 512):

jchen@spawn> dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync;rm test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 13.4705 s, 79.7 MB/s

As compared to vr.org:

jchen@home> dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync;rm test                                                                                  ~
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 26.8949 s, 39.9 MB/s

The net is super stable. You get a whole /64 of ipv6's and rdns is quick and easy to do. Certainly control panels aren't gonna be the reason why you buy a vps, but I'd say that their in-house biscuit cp is a lot better than the linode cp. It's cleaner, more intuitive, and a lot faster.

Yes they only have one datacenter, but so what? It's amazing.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

@kbar WOW That is amazing IO!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thanks for the post, @kbar. That is my recollection as well, though I haven't had a box with them in six months or so.

Now my only question is what naming scheme would result in both "paulnewman" and "spawn" as hostnames :-)

• yomeroyomero Member

6sync allow to do easy load balancing with virtual IP and that stuff?

• flyfly Member

none. i just take whatever pops into my head at the moment

• unusedunused Member
    edited May 2012

@kbar, how long have you been a VR customer? I'd say something is wrong with how you've configured your server. From my own test:

[root@webby ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync;rm test  
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.19214 seconds, 117 MB/s

It'd be interesting to know the difference in virtualization types, cpu, etc. VR lets you change between 5-6 types and you can shoot yourself in the foot. Linode is similar.

At 300MB/s 6sync is using SSD's or SAN-backed storage which is pretty cool, and certainly one factor to consider.

• flyfly Member
    edited May 2012

i think vr's strength is in multiple locations, while linode's strength is in "reliability" and reputation, while 6sync is straight up performance.

but yeah looks like I'm using hvm, which is probably the reason why the disk is a bit slower

• flyfly Member

update: vr helped me get pv drivers working. I'm seeing a lot better performance now.

• @kbar said: vr helped me get pv drivers working. I'm seeing a lot better performance now.

ALWAYS always run PV-on-HVM (netfront/blkfront) or PV-on-KVM (virtio). Otherwise you're basically sitting on top of a QEMU'd VM, which we all know is slowwwwwww. :)