Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else having latency issues at Armorshark?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone else having latency issues at Armorshark?

I recently signed up for one of their LEB's and have been having decent performance. I have not done anything of importance on it though.

Over the weekend, I was trying to upload client content for testing but I have continued to get timed out during SHH sessions and the console access through their control panel has spotty reliability.

I opened a ticket yesterday (Sunday) around 11am central time and I have not heard back. I know it was over the weekend and it wasn't an emergency but now it's Monday and I thought I would have heard back by now.

I'm relatively new to LEB and I'm really not trying to flame anyone. I'm just trying to understand what I should expect and get a client deadline behind me.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Have you tried enabling keep alive?

• Are you talking about Apache keepalive?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I thought you were talking about SSH? Where did Apache come from? Not sure what "SHH sessions" are anyway.

• My mistake. And thanks for the spellcheck. I'll check the link.

• I've made the change recommended in the link. Thanks for that info. I also wasn't really clear about the issue. It's not really timing out. You'll type a command or two and it could take 30 seconds to a minute to appear. Now, of course if I wait too long, it will time out.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

Sounds like a problem with the network or node, not you. Not much you can do past waiting for a response. Most lowend VPS companies respond within a day or two. If you stick to the best ones (RamNode, SecureDragon, BuyVM, CatalystHost, etc...) Responses are usually within an hour.

• @shovenose said:
    Sounds like a problem with the network or node, not you. Not much you can do past waiting for a response. Most lowend VPS companies respond within a day or two. If you stick to the best ones (RamNode, SecureDragon, BuyVM, CatalystHost, etc...) Responses are usually within an hour.

That is likely the case. I'll search for a new VPS.

edited June 2014

What location and specs? I would recommend finding which of the companies I listed are in the location you want. Also check for promos. I have several servers with all of them and they are rock solid. I don't expect 100% uptime of a low end vps but good communication during a problem makes all the difference. Hope you find one that works a bit better. You should have had a response by now though from your existing provider.

• Shovenose, thanks for the reply. As far as specs go, I'm look for 1GB Ram. That's really the only hard requirement I'm looking for. I'm also not really dependent on a location other than US based. It looks like I'll be around 10.00/month with the hosts you've mentioned. Cheaper would be great but not enough to sacrifice support.

Still nothing from Armorshark. I'm over it at this point.

Thanks again for sharing.

edited June 2014

@jmcda90 said:
    Shovenose, thanks for the reply. As far as specs go, I'm look for 1GB Ram. That's really the only hard requirement I'm looking for. I'm also not really dependent on a location other than US based. It looks like I'll be around 10.00/month with the hosts you've mentioned. Cheaper would be great but not enough to sacrifice support.

Still nothing from Armorshark. I'm over it at this point.

Thanks again for sharing.

Sure, no problem. Plenty of great hosts in the US that actually deserve your business, and offer 1GB... Cheap is always nice but then you have to deal with this crap.

If you don't want to spend $10/month you could always get a SecureDragon. While it doesn't include a real dragon, it works out to like $5.83/month if you pay yearly for a 1GB OpenVZ.
    https://securedragon.net/openvz.php

RamNode has a 25% off promo at the top of every page on their site right now. That should bring the cost down a bit, and they give you a lot more bandwidth per month than SecureDragon. You can either choose the pure SSD for faster speed but less storage, or cached SSD for still excellent but not quite as extreme disk IO, and get more storage.

Catalyst is right in between as far as pricing, but gives you more bandwidth which is nice. The most monthly bandwidth of them all. I'm not a big fan of their upstream (Incero) for personal reasons, but the VPS service itself is great and it's not their fault I don't get along well with the owner of their server provider.

BuyVM is incredibly reliable as far as the servers go, but the datacenter they are in seems to be unable to keep their power and network up at the same time.

Okay, I'll leave you alone now :) Lol.

• Ok. I signed up at Ramnode. Working well so far. Thanks for the help.

• SunnSunn Member

@jmcda90 said:

• RichardLeikRichardLeik Member
    edited July 2014

Some uplinks became congested by bandwidth miners from China, causing your spotty service, but we have implemented mechanisms to prevent similar service interruption in the future.

• ATHKATHK Member

Offering a refund could be a swell idea ;)