Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM VNCViewer issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM VNCViewer issue

VirtovoVirtovo Member

Getting a class not found error for VncViewer.class

Contacted SolusVM and have received the ultimate response after my digging:

"It is an issue with the oracle and Only Oracle can give an ETA. They are working on this issue and also we haven't got any update from Oracle.

Downgrade the java version to fix this permanently.
"

I am pretty sure this is an issue with their certificate. Anyone else encounter this problem?

Comments

• duyan13duyan13 Member

They really sucks. Just use TightVnc or something like that ...

Yes I heard its because of their cert.

• @Virtovo said:
    Getting a class not found error for VncViewer.class

SolusVM has never bothered paying to actually sign their JAR. Nor do they give instructions to their PAYING CUSTOMERS on how to sign the JAR for your own Common Name.

Therein, just don't bother. You can install NoVNC and use that instead, or just expose the VNC information to the clients, they surprisely often will just use the VNC themselves.

As per for Administrative ease, Java 6 is your answer.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

GoodHosting said: SolusVM has never bothered paying to actually sign their JAR. Nor do they give instructions to their PAYING CUSTOMERS on how to sign the JAR for your own Common Name.

I was pretty sure this was the issue, which is why I was surprised with them passing the buck to Oracle.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited May 2014

And here you have the result of my pursuit of a resolution. It starts with their first response to my question about the error.

———

It is a issue with the JAVA, please downgrade the JAVA version and have a try.

———

Hello there,
    Are you able to further explain the issue with Java? I have many other applets working without issues. Is this to do with the certificate used to sign your VNC class? If so, is that not an issue on your side that needs to be rectified? Telling all of our clients to downgrade Java is not really an option for us.
    Regards

———-

It is an issue with the oracle and Only Oracle can give an ETA. They are working on this issue and also we haven't got any update from Oracle.

You have to add your Master URL in "Trusted Websites" in your browser.

Downgrade the java version to fix this permanently.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-java-runtime-32/9827/

Thanks.

———-

HI,

You don't need to downgrade the java to resolve this issue.

Java applet changed some security things in their latest version. You would need to add your Master solusvm URL into the Exception site list on the java control panel in your local machine.

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_blocked.xml

————

Are you able to direct me to the exact Oracle issue that is causing this problem? My understanding of the matter was that it is to do with Oracles enhanced security requirements that require all applets to be signed. Your applet does not have the required certificate for this to work. Do you have any plans to sign the applet?
    Regards

————

Hi,

Actually, we are planing to change the entire lay-out for VNC using some html applet instead of the Java applet. We are working on it.

So you have to follow my last update to access the VNC at the moment.

FYI, We are already changed the way the client area serial console works for Xen PV and OpenVZ.

————

Thanks. Do you have an estimated time for when this will be implemented as the current workaround is not something I can really force upon our clients. Is the issue that your applet is not signed? If so would a simpler interim workaround not be to sign the applet with a CA issued certificate like those from digicert?
    Regards

———

Hi,

Unfortunately, We can't give out any ETA at the moment.

". Is the issue that your applet is not signed? If so would a simpler interim workaround not be to sign the applet with a CA issued certificate like those from digicert?"

Yes, But we can't consider it anymore. Because we are plan to keep our applet with Java as optional in our future release with valid certificate.

————

I can understand that you may be looking to keep Java as optional; however why can you not get the applet signed now in the interim? Is there a technical reason as to why the applet cannot be signed?

—————

HI,

Yes, There is some technical stuff behind with this.

We are still in contact with Oracle and waiting for their final update to get signed.

Thanks.

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

Surely its cheaper for them to sign the app than keep responding to tickets about it?

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited May 2014

@wych said:
    Surely its cheaper for them to sign the app than keep responding to tickets about it?

Its an issue with the JAVA and they are waiting for Oracle to update them about it.

Now where is that sarcasm tag.

I really wish SolusVM had a direct to Phill/Jason option on their tickets. I'd even pay to bypass L1/L2. The time it takes me to keep ping-ponging tickets before they give in costs more than paying for priority support.

• wychwych Member

@Virtovo said:
    Its an issue with the JAVA and they are waiting for Oracle to update them about it.

Fair, I read that as there are technical reasons its not been signed and they are waiting on an update from Oracle to sort the technical reason then it can be signed.

Maybe I read to literally.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@wych said:

I can't believe there are technical reasons as to why it is not signed.

• CoreyCorey Member

@wych said:

I think at that point the support guy was trying to tell him what he wanted to hear to keep the pressure off their support and the issue out of their ballpark.

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

@Virtovo said:
    I can't believe there are technical reasons as to why it is not signed.

Can't the technical reason be that its not safe to sign or they cannot confirm its safe (encrypted source etc) ?

(Just throwing it out there, take my comment as a pinch of salt - I don't use Solus)

• An issue with "the oracle". Sounds misterious.

• Did SolusVM actually write their own VNC Viewer Java Applet, or are they using one that someone else coded? I know that the SSH Console app in Feathur is an unsigned one, but we didn't write it; it's one of the ones commonly used.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yep they told me the same thing 4 - 5 months ago and said they were working on an html5 version, I am not holding my breath.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Does openjdk have the same issue? Guessing so.

• CoreyCorey Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    Does openjdk have the same issue? Guessing so.

I think I tried it openjdk before and had more than just this issue.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yep they told me the same thing 4 - 5 months ago and said they were working on an html5 version, I am not holding my breath.

Well I am just going to keep replying to the ticket until they give me some form of concrete answer or a working solution. I'm not very interested in paying monthly for a broken product.

@Virtovo said:
    Well I am just going to keep replying to the ticket until they give me some form of concrete answer or a working solution. I'm not very interested in paying monthly for a broken product.

I tried that approach, I have a 1 year+ old ticket containing a list of about 30 broken things in the "management review" queue they never update.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

Would I be OK just to get a code signing certificate and sign this myself?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Virtovo said:
    Would I be OK just to get a code signing certificate and sign this myself?

Yeah there shouldn't be a problem with 'unjar'ing then 'rejaring' it with your own certificate. I think a few people have done this already.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

Right, well my ticket has finally been picked up by Phill and I've been told that the certificate signing is not the issue and if I did want it signed it would need to be signed for our domain. Can anyone correct me here; however my understanding was that you do not provide a domain for code signing certificates. It's not possible during CSR generation or with the CA.

thats is how I understood it also however almost a year later they have no solution.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    thats is how I understood it also however almost a year later they have no solution.

It's really frustrating. Soluslabs have been quite good on some issues; however I do not understand how they can leave such a major issue for so long. It is not acceptable to tell clients to downgrade their Java version.

and by the looks of it they have abandoned their own support forum these days as well.

I am just going to say it, they deadpooled in terms of development, just sitting back counting the money now.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • XTServersXTServers Member
    edited May 2014

Downgrading Java is a big NO imho.

Could you guys give this a try for/in windows?

Go to program files (x86 if needed).

Go to "Java".

Go to "jre7" (assuming this is the latest version you have).

Go to "bin".

Open "javacpl.exe"

Navigate to the "Security" pane.

Click on "Edit Sides List...".

Add your SolusVM master url in the location bar.

Click "Add".

Confirm whatever java is asking.

Reopen browser and try it again.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

You also need to put security settings at medium.
    Icedtea-plugin works, from what i saw, get the version 7 one in debian, it installs somehow the 6 one even if you do apt-get openjdk-7-jre, 7 is needed for proxmox, otherwise craps out.

• My settings are still on "High (minimum recommended)"

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And it works?

• It seems to be working for me on my win 7 desktops.