Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best way to imperment gre?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

best way to imperment gre?

MatthewMMatthewM Member
edited May 2014 in Help

http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

i want to allocate a ip address to a vps 192.168.168.2 but i want to have a ip address have an connection via it.

root@server:/# ping google.com -c 1
ping: unknown host google.com
root@server:/#

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

Comments

• Uh oh, imperment ?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @alexvolk said:
    Uh oh, imperment ?

adding it on to a vps.

• i can not get it running within vm.

• @Zen said:
    why are you here?

what do you mean by that?

• Google imperment vs implement, please. Bahahahahaha

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rajprakash said: Google imperment vs implement, please. Bahahahahaha

This.

Seriously - every thread & post has horrible spelling and grammatical errors. Since you appeared on the Internet. You need to spellcheck.

You're a native speaker. Most of the non-native speakers put you to shame.

• raindog308 said: You're a native speaker. Most of the non-native speakers put you to shame.

Perhaps the reason why? http://www.hotukdeals.com/ask/corruption-uk-schools-1715562

Are you in secondary school @mtwiscool?

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014
  • Looks like a DNS error.

Thanked by 1Floris
  • I got it to work on a host node but not inside a openvz containa.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

From my experience it's almost impossible to use GRE on OpenVZ (right @rds100 ?). With Rage4 ANY we do not support GRE on OpenVZ only on full virtualization.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@mtwiscool said:
    I got it to work on a host node but not inside a openvz containa.

That's how you would do it. Have it on the host node then assign it to a container (containa?) like any other IP.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @trewq said:

Im waiting for my more ip's(some time today).

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@mtwiscool said:
    Im waiting for my more ip's(some time today).

More IPs to have setup with GRE?

• @trewq said:

A vps to allocate from with 4 spare ip addresses.

• @Zen said:
    Works fine on OpenVZ

as long as your provider enables your access to it.

• please post advice that is ontopic.

• rds100rds100 Member

@gbshouse it can work, but certain capability flags must be enabled for the VPS, and not veryone might be willing to enable those flags.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@rds100 - OK, than if it doesn't work out-of-box then I would assume it won't work in 99% of cases

• You don't need net_admin, just ip_gre being enabled is fine.

Any company with clue should be able to enable it for you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Wintereise said: should be able to enable it for you.

Being able is one thing, risking the poor stability of OVZ for one customer/container is not something many would want to do.
    I mean OVZ accounts for all the crashes we had, we had a couple of KVM failures when working on the node and the Xen time bug a few years ago, but only OVZ crashes out of the blue. In these conditions enabling random stuff for one customer at a time is not something we like to do.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @Maounique said:
    I mean OVZ accounts for all the crashes we had, we had a couple of KVM failures when working on the node and the Xen time bug a few years ago, but only OVZ crashes out of the blue. In these conditions enabling random stuff for one customer at a time is not something we like to do.

You do not know whats safe to enable and whats not?

• @mtwiscool said:
    You do not know whats safe to enable and whats not?

What may be safe for now may be not safe in the next or forthcoming updates. You simply can't guess what will happen later(unknown reboots, crashes, hang at start up and etc) so that's why only required modules are enabled at the host node.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @wcypierre said:

You do understand gre is widely used?

• @mtwiscool said:
    You do understand gre is widely used?

still, it is up to the provider on whether it is to be enabled or not. What is important to one host may not be important in another host's eye. Like what maounique said, enabling one module may cause an unforeseen problem. If you don't want to be influenced by the host node then simply go for a kvm or xen vps.

Thanked by 2Maounique Magiobiwan
  • StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

192.168.168.1/30 source?

192.168.168.2/30 destination?

If so 192.168.168.2 is binded to the hostnode not the VM.

You need to route a /29 to route an additional v4 address to the VM.

• Ditch your GRE requirement & get an OpenVPN IP instead? That way all the protocol interactions get wrapped up into simpler IP comms over standard Transit.

Run openvpn server on your VPN VPS, allow it & clients in any iptables rules in your Linux & you're online after you create the openvpn client.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

It's awesome that there are probably 40 replys in here and only a single post out of them can point him in the right direction. Lol.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @netpres1 said:
    Ditch your GRE requirement & get an OpenVPN IP instead? That way all the protocol interactions get wrapped up into simpler IP comms over standard Transit.

Run openvpn server on your VPN VPS, allow it & clients in any iptables rules in your Linux & you're online after you create the openvpn client.

any how do's on that?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Alex_LiquidHost said:
    It's awesome that there are probably 40 replys in here and only a single post out of them can point him in the right direction. Lol.

Well, he wants to force gre on OVZ and while that is possible we need to convince him first that is not the best way to go. And he seems to understand now:

mtwiscool said: any how do's on that?

Once you have a VPN working, you can run any number/kinds of proxies on the remote end(s) to tunnel/forward around. It is debatable what is the best way to do it depending on what he really needs, but once you do not depend on the host, the freedom is yours.