Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

b26h - what is this? eating my cpu - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

b26h - what is this? eating my cpu

2»

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member

@psycholyzern as long as any system hook to the internet ... there are bots always scan for unsecured system. a basic iptables, very strong ssh password or use SSH login without password will give you a basic protection.

• psycholyzern said: Its my fault didnt take any precationary steps.. but, it is because I didnt hosted any sensitive files. just hobby.

Just see it as a learning experience, we all fuck up. Just make sure it doesn't happen in future!

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • M66BM66B Veteran

A useful command is
    netstat -tuplen
    which I always use to check what is listening on a fresh VPS, after I installing new software and after any maintenance. Anything that is listening needs security evaluation.

Thanked by 2hostnoob colingpt
  • JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    Just see it as a learning experience, we all fuck up. Just make sure it doesn't happen in future!

yah.. Its a new experience for me.. thanks all..

@M66B said:
    A useful command is
    netstat -tuplen
    which I always use to check what is listening on a fresh VPS, after I installing new software and after any maintenance. Anything that is listening needs security evaluation.

thank you :D

• Have you fix it? I'm a bit suspicious with the /etc/init.d/taskgrm- and /etc/init.d/modules_dep.sh. Also, check your /etc/passwd, just in case you had an illegal user account in the system.

But as other said, when we had the vps, run update & upgrade, change the ssh port, install firewall (denyhosts, fail2ban, csf, etc). Change the root password from the SolusVM, change the root password from ssh. ( Just for prevention if the provider SolusVM database had been leaked, so the attacker had the SolusVM password and vps root password, but the vps root password had been changed by us from ssh, so the attacker can't use our vps.)

You can also disable root login, but before you do that, always make sure you had your ssh-keys configured correctly, otherwise you will be locked.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Here is a good article about why putting SSH on another port is a bad idea.

tldr; It's security through obscurity, and also running SSH on a non-privileged port could allow non-privileged users to run a "fake sshd" on that port to capture credentials.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

deptadapt said: Here is a good article about why putting SSH on another port is a bad idea.

This guy is completely wrong.

Let's enumerate why:

• "it's security through obscurity" - not really. If someone wants to discover your SSH they still can. But by changing the SSH port, you filter out a huge host of skiddie scans. But your choice is (a) have a zillion skiddies hammering it 24x7, or (b) skipping 99.9% of that with no loss in functionality.

He then goes on to recommend another form of "security through obscurity" btw.

• he makes this argument about how only root can run on privileged ports. But doesn't recommend that you could run ssh on a different low port and achieve most of the same benefit, so I guess his real argument is that you must run on port 22.

• his nonsense about "I could run a server on 2222 and steal passwords" is silly. Yes, you could, if I don't start ssh at boot time. If I start ssh at boot time...you can't bind to it. How do you propose to bind to this port? Why not bind to port 80/443 and put in your own credit-card-number-stealing web software?

And what if there are no other users, or the only users are admins? There are tons of servers where only admins (who have root) have access, so who are these legions of password-stealing users?

So running SSH on a non-privileged port makes it potentially LESS secure, not MORE. You have no way of knowing if you are talking to the real SSH server or not.

Apparently he's unfamiliar with server fingerprinting. The server's host key is not world-readable, so the only way you're going to fake being the server I want to talk to is to somehow steal this key.

This reason, and this reason alone makes it that you should NEVER EVER use a non-privileged port for running your SSH server.

Writing things IN CAPS does NOT MAKE THEM TRUE.

On to the next reason not to change ports: A lot of applications actually EXPECT ssh traffic on port 22. Now this might be a debate wether or not those programs are developed properly, but it’s a fact. Even though you can easily change the port in many applications but not all of them do. Trust me, it WILL be annoying for developers, sysadmins and users to operate on your SSH-port 52241, especially since they are using 20 boxes, each with a different SSH port.

WTF? When I have legions of developers with badly written programs I'll worry about this. What are these applications, btw?

Since he's a developer, I guess I'm not surprised he thinks admins should bow to his code shortcomings :-)

But if you are REALLY worried about that angry mob, there are better ways to hide the door than to move it. Try port-knocking. Again, security through obscurity, but if you must, this is probably the only viable way to do it

But I thought "...this is nothing more than security through obscurity, and if you think that that is a good idea, you should not be allowed behind a computer.. ever…"

And then we get to his port-knocking idea:

What this does, is that as soon as something tries to connect to port 3456 (yes, a non-privileged port, but no problem, nothing is running on it), it will set a flag called “portknock”. Now, when we try to setup a connection to the SSH port, it will check to see if your IP has set a “portknock” flag during the last 60 seconds. If not, it will not accept the connection.

This idea is not his - I've seen it before. But...wait...let me get this right...there are all these fragile applications in the world that can't possibly be reconfigured to talk on any port other than 22, but they can be reconfigured to first talk to port 3456 and then connect to port 22?

Another issue: many corporations have incoming and outgoing firewalls, meaning you cannot goto any site to any random port and expect it to work. Some secure ports, like port 22 are often exempt from that, while other ports like port 25 or 110 are blocked.

I have yet to be inside any corporate firewall that allows 22 out or in. Much less "often".

And how am I supposed to do my port 3456->port 22 tango?

He completely fails to mention any kind of active firewall (e.g., CSF/LFD/fail2ban/etc. which would watch for failed ssh connections and insert a firewall rule)...which is a better idea than his port knocking scheme.

This guy is trying to sound all security guru...

I see a lot of companies and users moving their SSH port to a non-privileged port like 2222 or even 36797. Now, there are few reasons why people would do this, all of them incorrect and dangerous. Some of those reasons I will not even mention, just to protect the people who actually use them :)

...when really he has no idea what he's talking about.

I notice comments are disabled...

• khavkhav Member

@raindog308

I second this .....you took a while to write this post and great analysis btw

@psycholyzern

Is your website PHP based or just HTML/CSS

• @raindog308 thanks for the detailed counter argument. Your VPS Advice site is also quite good.

Personally I don't see much/any harm in changing the port especially if it's under 1024. However the only real advantage I see is fewer connection attempts using resources and getting logged. The SSH server should not be letting strangers in no matter what port it's running on.

Disabling password authentication is much more important. Also it makes using SSH much more pleasant. Other options that can help are AllowGroups and AllowUsers, or only allowing connections from trusted IPs. And of course tools like fail2ban.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited May 2014

Have a look at my IPTables port scan detection tutorial, which was posted earlier on LET. Using this technique, you can easily thwart any port scan attempt by hackers to find your non-standard SSH port, by dropping traffic from an IP upon detection of X number of ports being hit within Y seconds (both configurable).

• It sounds like the guy who wrote that article thinks you can only choose 1 thing to secure SSH. So yea, if you only do 1 thing to secure SSH, changing the port would be the weakest option to choose.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Have you fix it? I'm a bit suspicious with the /etc/init.d/taskgrm- and /etc/init.d/modules_dep.sh. Also, check your /etc/passwd, just in case you had an illegal user account in the system.

But as other said, when we had the vps, run update & upgrade, change the ssh port, install firewall (denyhosts, fail2ban, csf, etc). Change the root password from the SolusVM, change the root password from ssh. ( Just for prevention if the provider SolusVM database had been leaked, so the attacker had the SolusVM password and vps root password, but the vps root password had been changed by us from ssh, so the attacker can't use our vps.)

You can also disable root login, but before you do that, always make sure you had your ssh-keys configured correctly, otherwise you will be locked.

I reinstalled my server.. I did all you said.. even disable root.. I create a user that have sudo access

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@khav said:
    raindog308

I second this .....you took a while to write this post and great analysis btw

psycholyzern

Is your website PHP based or just HTML/CSS

I got a html for index.. and some php script that doesnt functioning at all, I mean, the script does not doing anything..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

psycholyzern said: some php script that doesnt functioning at all, I mean, the script does not doing anything..

Are you sure? :-)

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited May 2014

@raindog308 said:
    Are you sure? :-)

yah.. php script that manipulate yuotube api.. but didnt do what it should do

• ScionScion Member

One thing I like to do for machines where I should be the only root user is to not only disable root logins but also limit su to members of the 'wheel' group. I've noticed some distributions do this by default (eg. Gentoo), but not all of them do (eg. CentOS). You can do it by adding or un-commenting a line in /etc/pam.d/su :

auth  required  pam_wheel.so use_uid

That way to break in and get root access you have to figure out which account is a member of wheel and its password (or better yet, private key) as well as the root password. This breaks down if you give yourself full powers with sudo since then you (probably) only need your own password to become root. It also breaks down if you need more than one person to be able to become root, because you end up needing to use sudo to let them do it (or you have to share root's password, which is even worse IMHO).

The best bet if you can do it is to use sudo very sparingly and only for very specific purposes rather than handing out the ability to actually become root.

• @psycholyzern, do you still had the bruteforce attempt to the server now?

I forgot to mention, try to install logwatch and configure, so you can get the email whenever there's a change to the system, a login attempt, and anything about the server.

• khavkhav Member

Check all the php files on your server....a hacker may have modified a php file to shell your website

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    psycholyzern, do you still had the bruteforce attempt to the server now?

I dont see any in my auth.log.. btw, will it logged? because I changed my ssh port.

I forgot to mention, try to install logwatch and configure, so you can get the email whenever there's a change to the system, a login attempt, and anything about the server.

ok.. I will try

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@khav said:
    Check all the php files on your server....a hacker may have modified a php file to shell your website

I did..

• You will get some log for ssh login attempt, included with the failed one :)

All of my vps having logwatch, so everyday they will send me an email about my vps activity. ( Installation, user logged in, disk space)

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    You will get some log for ssh login attempt, included with the failed one :)

All of my vps having logwatch, so everyday they will send me an email about my vps activity. ( Installation, user logged in, disk space)

wow.. it would be many email in my inbox..
    btw, i will take a look

• psycholyzern said: wow.. it would be many email in my inbox.. btw, i will take a look

Yes, you would had a lot of emails, but we can apply some Labels(Gmails) or automatically swipe/filter it in Outlook to automatically go to a folder. Having some informations is always better than hacked right? :)

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited May 2014

You don't need SSH to get shell. For all we know, his xinetd could have a socket up for some webshell.

No offense OP, but you clearly have little to no experience securing systems.

My advice would be to reinstall the entire system (from scratch), after taking backups of your dbs / user data / whatever.

Who knows what other binary has been compromised / chattr +i'd?

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@ErawanArifNugroho I got some tries from 108.166.98.9 but before I change my ssh port.. After i change my ssh port,no log are being record about those failed tries

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • JohnRoeJohnRoe Member

@Wintereise said:
    You don't need SSH to get shell. For all we know, his xinetd could have a socket up for some webshell.

No offense OP, but you clearly have little to no experience securing systems.

My advice would be to reinstall the entire system (from scratch), after taking backups of your dbs / user data / whatever.

Who knows what other binary has been compromised / chattr +i'd?

yah.. I am learning from forums and blog.. i dont have enough knowledge and experinces in securing the server.. I just have fun with them and host some small website..

I did reinstall.. and use backup on my laptop and not from the infected server

• the scripts like ddos script recently we got alot of orders using our VPS to ddos game servers using similar scripts .