Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding Paypal chargebacks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding Paypal chargebacks

PremiumNPremiumN Member
edited May 2014 in General

If a client pays for example $50 and then issues a chargeback, how much will paypal charge the provider? Just wondering...

Comments

• Thank you for the replies guys :)

• So meaning paypal will charge $20 and the provider gets to keep the remaining $30 or that the provider will lose all the $50 and charged $20 extra as a fine?

• BoxodeBoxode Member

I wasn't even aware paypal charged for handling a chargeback.

Interesting.

• ehabehab Member

looks like a stick to keep abuse at bay.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

I've received a number of chargebacks for virtual items/services and they have yet to charge me a ridiculous $20 fee for handling it.

• if they chargeback via paypal dispute internal system its no extra fee just the amount of the charge, if they do it with a bank then its the $50 + Chargeback fee ($20-$40) depending on the bank.

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2014

I was hit the full value of the order (£10) and a £14 charge 45 days from the transaction, thus totaling a loss of £24 and he used the server for a full month, rest were returned in my favor.

• I've never been charged any additional fees, but you lose the amount disputed [ the customer gets their money back automatically... it's really scammy. PayPal doesn't listen to evidence that card companies do... ]

• BellaBella Member
    edited May 2014

If someone sends you a payment funded by their CREDIT CARD, then you will lose the dispute, + be charged an extra $10 or $20 depending on the CC Company. If you call PP and complain about it 90% of the time they will refund you the fee, so there is no fee.

If someone sends you a payment funded by their BANK and they reverse it through their bank, you will either be charged a $0 fee or a $20-$50 fee depending on the bank.

If someone sends you a payment via PayPal Balance then there is no fees whether you win or lose.

Thanked by 2ricardo Mark_R
  • ricardoricardo Member

Yeah, I think it really depends on the funding source, Paypal is just passing the fee on.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

GoodHosting said: I've never been charged any additional fees, but you lose the amount disputed [ the customer gets their money back automatically... it's really scammy. PayPal doesn't listen to evidence that card companies do... ]

>
    Me too. I hate Paypal...

• I stopped using PayPal years ago. I suggest you do the same. Plenty of other options with cheaper fees that are just as easy to use.

• BlastVMBlastVM Member

I hate paypal too, had a client pay yearly. They used the service for almost ten months, did a chargeback and bam. Paypal went in their favor despite digital goods etc.

Paypal is lousy.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

princeshoko said: Plenty of other options with cheaper fees that are just as easy to use.

Could you please recommend some options?

• Thanked by 1M66B
  • There's a bug in the Paypal Chargeback system, but I hope they fix it now

Thanked by 1sz1hosting
  • I had a chargeback once, $120, it escalated to my client's bank, and he won, and there were no fees made.