Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack Wholesaleinternet Packet Loss - A warning to dedicated server providers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack Wholesaleinternet Packet Loss - A warning to dedicated server providers

2»

Comments

• Microlinux said: Incredible. Because it's best to sit clueless with your head stuck in the sand until someone else notifies you.

Clueless No, just don't believe in spying on my customers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2014

@TarZZ92 said:
    It's not my business to see what customers are doing. if they are breaking the rules ( and we get a abuse notification action would be taken with the exception of DMCA notices which we ignore)

It's an adorable policy no doubt about that, it's just that everyone who has been in a position of responsibility and authority on a well utilized network knows that such policies are much like when a child says "I want to grow up to be a superhero" and ends up landing a desk job. At the end of the day you still have to answer to the real world.

If you don't watch anything, you're risking your customer's privacy more than you're helping it. At some point someone else will take up the job you aren't doing and you won't have the army to defend yourself. Doesn't matter what land you occupy, give them the finger long enough and just count the days, they'll bring it to your door one day.

But aside from privacy it's about taking care of your network. If you don't know what it's doing, you're not capable of maintaining it. You can't just close your eyes and toss rocks at the switch.

Thanked by 1Zyra
  • So, if I understand properly, Chinese networks are utilizing WSI to serve as their CDN backend?

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited May 2014

TarZZ92 said: just don't believe in spying on my customers.

You'd rather have them spewing out spam and DDoS until someone notifies you? You don't have any interest in monitoring for incoming DDoS?

I find it hard to classify collecting flow data as "spying". There is no intent (or capability) to catalog content. Your upstreams (or their upstreams) are surely doing it.

Unless you own the physical network infrastructure, assume you have zero privacy , except for that which you create. There are trade-offs for using public infrastructure.

• Bandwidth Mining - https://jiaoyi.yunfan.com

• Microlinux said: I find it hard to classify collecting flow data as "spying". There is no intent (or capability) to catalog content. Your upstreams (or their upstreams) are surely doing it.

I have my doubts that he even understands what flow sampling is.

Arguing with a brick wall is unlikely to get us anywhere, so let's just stop, shall we? :)

Thanked by 3Infinity Dylan 0xbkt
  • Wintereise said: Arguing with a brick wall is unlikely to get us anywhere, so let's just stop, shall we? :)

Touche.

• @xDragonZ said:
    Bandwidth Mining - https://jiaoyi.yunfan.com

So what is the benefit to the pool provider? What do they do/how do they with the bandwidth?

• @daxterfellowes said:
    So what is the benefit to the pool provider? What do they do/how do they with the bandwidth?

Regular users get kuai coins (virtual currency) in exchange for mining bandwdith. The bandwidth is then sold by the pool provider to large companies primarily involved in video streaming such as Youku, Tudou, and Sohu, some of which spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year on bandwidth to provide their streaming services.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @hellogoodbye said:
    Regular users get kuai coins (virtual currency) in exchange for mining bandwdith. The bandwidth is then sold by the pool provider to large companies primarily involved in video streaming such as Youku, Tudou, and Sohu, some of which spend hundreds of millions of dollars every year on bandwidth to provide their streaming services.

Is bandwidth more expensive for them to purchase in their local centers that they do this? Or is it the incentive of 'unlimited' bandwidth from US providers with low end machines that make it more favorable?

• hellogoodbyehellogoodbye Member
    edited May 2014

@daxterfellowes said:
    Is bandwidth more expensive for them to purchase in their local centers that they do this? Or is it the incentive of 'unlimited' bandwidth from US providers with low end machines that make it more favorable?

From what it says in the FAQs, it's cheaper for the large companies to purchase the extra bandwidth this way than purchasing CDN services. For the regular miners, anyone can basically mine bandwidth just by purchasing a small plan with unmetered bandwidth and leaving their computers on with the program running, so they see it as an easy "get rich quick" scheme I'm assuming.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Microlinux said: You'd rather have them spewing out spam and DDoS until someone notifies you? You don't have any interest in monitoring for incoming DDoS?

well of course this breaks terms of service, but as i said i have no intention on spying on my customers. we act quick on abuse reports (with the exception on DMCA which we ignore) and block high risk countries as it is. and i have no worry about incoming DDos, we have sufficient protection against that. but there is options if this problem appears.

• earlearl Member

Curious, anyone with the $25 DS server still getting packet loss?

It's been close to a week for me and I'm still experiencing packet loss. Support can't seem to do much about it.

• seikanseikan Member

This is a nightmare to service provider. But it's really smart for these China people invented such applications.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

You would have to wonder how many of these bandwidth miners they have on their network to saturate it to this point..

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 100000000 (95M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[=========================================================>] 100,000,000 149K/s in 10m 20s

2014-05-02 08:34:41 (157 KB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [100000000/100000000]

Downloads to the server is still fine..

--2014-05-02 08:40:08-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[====================================================================================================================================================================================================>] 104,857,600 69.3M/s in 1.4s

2014-05-02 08:40:13 (69.3 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

• ayukasayukas Member

Their network has been bad far more earlier than the time mark they mentioned in the WHT thread, at least for connections to the EU region. It seems already more than one year since I transferred my server to a friend. I dropped them after suffered only 250kb/s single downloading thread for 2-3 months. Of course it's getting worse these days (maybe because this bandwidth mining thing), last time I checked them I only got 30kb/s, holy crap. I also have a pure single homed HE sever located in Fremont, I can get 4MB/s from there. So maybe the "bandwidth mining" totally crushed their network now, but I think they've already overselling their bandwidth since early last year.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ayukas said:
    Their network has been bad far more eaI also have a pure single homed HE sever located in Fremont

Packetloss electric? Cherish the good times :)

• earlearl Member

@ayukas it's possible their network started getting saturated when they promoted the $25 servers.. That combined with the mining may have caused the issue.

I also have a server with WSI and volumedrive, I think the VD server is only cogent based but they both at least get in the MB/s. I get 11MB/s with VD which is the full 100mbps port.. And at least 5MB/s with WSI not that great considering it's actually on a 1gbit port but at least it works.

Hopefully they fix this soon, looking at their site it seems WSI and DS seem to have a lot of their servers in stock so I'm sure they are losing sales over this.

• TarZZ92 said: i have no intention on spying on my customers.

TarZZ92 said: i have no worry about incoming DDos, we have sufficient protection against that.

Irony at it's finest.

• ZshenZshen Member

I was on a bad router. They moved me and all is well (speed wise). There are still HE packet loss issues, but it's at least usable now. Went from 50mbps upstream to 700mbps consistently.

• wychwych Member

@Zshen said:
    I was on a bad router. They moved me and all is well (speed wise). There are still HE packet loss issues, but it's at least usable now. Went from 50mbps upstream to 700mbps consistently.

How many broken routers must they have?

• earlearl Member

unfortunately for me it was not just the network that had issues, I had a few mystery reboots as well.

Last month it was suppose to be from a failed UPS, which I thought they fixed but it happened again just couple days ago..

Their support have been pretty good in the sense that they were more than willing to troubleshoot for you and they always responded in less than 5 min no matter time it was, but after giving them about a week with nothing being fixed I have decided I will not renew after this month.

Hate to let the server go cause it's quite the deal! but it's become too frustrating to use now, probably better to just move on for now.

• My broadband is billed at 95, which is horrible for me.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @SuperXP said:
    My broadband is billed at 95, which is horrible for me.

Just use Quicken 95, on a Pentium MMX and you'll be fine so long as everything remains at 16bit.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited April 2022

I thought it was a new post was just reading it didn't notice the date until I seen Delimiter getting mention then the penny dropped it must be a old as hell post.

Must be a new record 8 years necro.

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Everything aside, its impressive that Chinese came with such idea. I wonder, what they are gaining from US bandwidth when their target customers are in China ?

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@SuperXP said:
    My broadband is billed at 95, which is horrible for me.

95 cents isn't so bad

No congrats on your fifth comment