Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atom 230 or EC2 Micro Instance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Atom 230 or EC2 Micro Instance

So, right now I'm running a site I built for a customer utilizing the free tier's micro interface on AWS. While free, I believe they may exceed the 15GB bandwidth limit due to documents. Will a Atom 230 be a step up from the micro instance or should they bite the bullet and stay with EC2 for other features?

Comments

• Do some performance testing.

If this is a Delimiter Atom server, then the storage backend is NetApp all fibre-channel based storage. Its all NetApp RAID which is very reliable.

The obvious things between cloud vs dedicated - if the dedicated fallsover then assuming its a proper cloud service like Amazon, etc then you will either failover or you can manually restart the service without any intervention.

Any dedicated server is going to require a hardware swap out if it fails or at a minimum the disk moved to another machine.

It all comes down to what features you want vs price. We see a lot of webmasters buying up those Atom servers and sticking one customer per Atom. They are as cheap as chips and come with a load of bandwidth so its cheaper than dicing up a dedicated server with cPanel whilst in small numbers.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Do some performance testing.

Yes, it is in regards to Delimiter's Atom 230. I unfortunately cannot do any benchmarking against the EC2 vs Atom since I do not have an Atom machine to test against. However, I have found this article which has an N270, similar comparison.

I do like the high availability of EC2, but really want the isolated environment. If they use more than 15GB a month though, they end up paying for bandwidth, which will pretty much eat into in the budget.

The EC2 seems to be performing alright with load tests of 250 users, but I think they can do better on a dedicated environment. It's not a super resourceful application now, but who knows down the road.

I plan on getting a backup VPS to mirror the production server, in case of system failure, to fall back on.

I sent a ticket to sales in regards to a separate matter and will follow up with them regarding the Atom when they respond hopefully.

• N270 is faster than the 230's that Delimiter sells, but Delimiter's disk performance will be substantially faster as its

• @MarkTurner said:
    N270 is faster than the 230's that Delimiter sells, but Delimiter's disk performance will be substantially faster as its

Well hopefully once Sales responds back, we can get the ball rolling on some of these.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Amazon Micro caps CPU pretty hard. You're sharing a single core.

http://gregsramblings.com/2011/02/07/amazon-ec2-micro-instance-cpu-steal/

• @MarkTurner - Is sales generally slow to respond?

• @daxterfellowes - PM me your email and I'll chase it for you

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • @MarkTurner said:
    daxterfellowes - PM me your email and I'll chase it for you

Sent a PM to you.