Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

symlink protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

symlink protection

Do you recommend enabling symlink protection on shared hosting servers?

Thanks

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yes.

• khavkhav Member

@PremiumN
    Its a must to implement symlink protection

Suppose one of your cilent website is vulnerable to SQL injection or suffers from file upload vulnerability.Then a hacker can upload a malicious php (know as a shell).From there he/she will try to symlink so as to get access to all your cilents data on the node.
    Once a symlink attack is successful then mass deface is possible

In a matter of mins , hundred if not thousands of websites can get defaced , their database stolen.

And its just the beginning....

• @AlexanderM @khav

Thanks for your reply

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

The more I get my php sites hacked the more I hate php. Seems quite primitive in this day and age to be running websites where browsers can access the files directly. Newer languages like python work so much more securely for this. Not letting browsers access the files directly goes a LONG way to making things more secure.

• @sman said:
    The more I get my php sites hacked the more I hate php. Seems quite primitive in this day and age to be running websites where browsers can access the files directly. Newer languages like python work so much more securely for this. Not letting browsers access the files directly goes a LONG way to making things more secure.

Please apply your own hand to your face. Yeah... thanks.

• smansman Member

@MassNodes said:
    Please apply your own hand to your face. Yeah... thanks.

Instead of making smart ass remarks how about elaborating. Or are you just talking out of your ass?

• @sman said:
    Instead of making smart ass remarks how about elaborating. Or are you just talking out of your ass?

• Python is older then PHP.
    • Both have file access
    • The browser doesn't access the file directly.... wtf
    • They both have their own strong points and reason for use.
  • smansman Member

@MassNodes said:

• They both have their own strong points and reason for use.

Where is index.php or equivalent in python? Rhetorical question. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

• I'm not going to derail this guys post. I'm not going to satisfy your obvious troll.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

@MassNodes said:
    I'm not going to derail this guys post. I'm not going to satisfy your obvious troll.

Yea, pointing out there is an index.php file is an obvious troll...lol. Have you ever even set up a web page before?

• index.php?? Really???

• @sman said:
    Yea, pointing out there is an index.php file is an obvious troll...lol. Have you ever even set up a web page before?

Seriously??

PHP is not visible in the browser, the output is. (sometimes)