Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transnational email provider without ip headers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transnational email provider without ip headers

wojonswojons Member

I am currently using mandrill for sending email for an application of mine but because it places my ip addresses of my backend servers into the headers it makes it impossible to not allow hackers to find my public ip addresses of those servers.

For those who will say the public IP is public and so on. I know that but people do not need to know that is my servers IP. the servers will not respond to ip addresses not part of the cluster. I just want to avoid people finding out "Oh that is your back-end server here is a DNS attack"

Anyone that is knows a provider that does this would be great. I don't mind paying for dedicated IP address. Hopefully sending email wont cost an arm and a leg.

Comments

• I believe that www.neomailbox.com/services/secure-email erases the IP in the email header.

• Assuming its transactional email then something Postmark (may) work

• @Mark_R said:
    I believe that www.neomailbox.com/services/secure-email erases the IP in the email header.

this looks like it would work but would have to host emal here also i guess?

@MarkTurner said:
    Assuming its transactional email then something Postmark (may) work

i will look into postmark also

• Amazon SES doesn't seem to add a header with the sending IP.

• I thought ses was not for transactional email?

• If you have a spare VPS, you could get nginx to proxy your email for you.

• @wojons said:

yes, you would have to use neomailbox.com (smtp etc) for sending the emails. At least you can be confident that your server IP isn't being added in the emails. If you decide to go down this route I recommend to check how much emails you can send using this service, there probably is a limit stated somewhere in the FAQ.

• IP to the headers actually added to track from where email originating.

Transactional email providers add that information to track SPAM and it's not about your privacy. That's it.

• @Mark_R said:
    I believe that www.neomailbox.com/services/secure-email erases the IP in the email header.

Stay far away from neomailbox, they are scammers!

• @tr1cky said:

They are not. I've used them for over a year for my personal email, no problems.

• wojonswojons Member
    edited March 2014

alexvolk said: IP to the headers actually added to track from where email originating.

Transactional email providers add that information to track SPAM and it's not about your privacy. That's it.

I undserstand that but the fact that it goes to my users that can use that to send doss to my backend nodes is not what i want. they can store it on there db for all i an and put my mx record as the sender for all i care.

tr1cky said: Stay far away from neomailbox, they are scammers!

anything to back this up?

• @Mark_R said:

Oh, did you ever contact their nonexisting support? Adding an additional domain took over a month and I had to contact 2checkout to get an answer back from them, also I contacted them more than 10 times for raising outgoing email limit and it took them a month to reply and ask me if I now want this to be applied and then I never received an answer again for now over 4 months.
    If you want I can show you all e-mail conversation I had with them.

• @tr1cky said:

That doesn't make them scammers. They provide the paid-for service.

But yes, I reconize the slow support, adding a domain to my email service was done in 3 days. I guess you got unlucky.

• joereidjoereid Member
    edited March 2014

Those headers are there for a reason. Sure it might expose some other servers, but those servers should be secured/locked-down enough to handle that.

That being said...if you use something like Mimedefang you should be able to remove the headers.

• @joereid said:
    Those headers are there for a reason. Sure it might expose some other servers, but those servers should be secured/locked-down enough to handle that.

That being said...if you use something like Mimedefang you should be able to remove the headers.

yeah the servers re secure and locked down but no level of secure and locked down will protect u from a udp attack. other then a ddos platform on the network level. my mail server has ddos protection from the data center so not worried if that ip gets a doss.

tr1cky said: Oh, did you ever contact their nonexisting support? Adding an additional domain took over a month and I had to contact 2checkout to get an answer back from them, also I contacted them more than 10 times for raising outgoing email limit and it took them a month to reply and ask me if I now want this to be applied and then I never received an answer again for now over 4 months. If you want I can show you all e-mail conversation I had with them.

this reminds me of the reason why idont like t pay for a year of service up front.