Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone running Cassandra on a LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone running Cassandra on a LEB?

NickMNickM Member
edited April 2012 in General

I know, I know, it's java, so it's definitely not a good idea to run it on OVZ. They recommend 8GB of RAM for Cassandra, so I figured it would be a great idea to try running it on a 256MB KVM. It crashed and burned, hard. Unfortunately, I can't find much information about running Cassandra in a low memory environment... when I see a question on a forum like "Cassandra keeps running out of memory, can I decrease memory usage?", everyone's answer is "Throw more memory at it!" That's all fine and dandy, but this is Low End Talk.

So, does anyone here have any experience with Cassandra, especially in a low end environment? Is it even possible?

Comments

• gsxgsx Member

I don't know much about Cassandra, but usually the idea is to use efficient code instead of "throwing more memory at it." But then, when "The largest known Cassandra cluster has over 300 TB of data in over 400 machines." (cassandra.apache.org) it might be difficult to fit this onto a 256MB KVM.

Thanked by 1Roph
  • Throw more swap at it!

I know j/k xD

I don't know nothing about this project =(
    But doesn't seems to be the right software for this level of hardware/servers

• i think mongodb might do a better job as an nosql solution for lowendboxes haha ;)

Thanked by 1yomero
  • AmfyAmfy Member

And the next point: For what Cassandra, it makes only sence in a big cluster.
    Than, Cassandra isn't very fast and reading operations, it's ok on writing operations.

Have you ever tryed to build a database and a application with Cassandra as the backend? When I tryed it, it was difficult. And if you grew up with mysql / sql standard it's more difficult.

If you need a "cool" and fast database, try redis. I already used it on leb and it ran very fine. Was able to write(!) ~60k-80k objects/string to redis!

And come on, first start to build an application, that really needs a cassandra cluster, big projects like wikipedia are using mysql, reddit is using a kind of mysql. And if you're app gets sooo popular, there are many option to optimize it.

• buy more servers
    • different database and app servers
    • differentiate if a query is only reading (goes to one of the mysql-slave) or writing (goes to the master) (there is already a wordpress plugin, (wordpress.com is using that, too) that can differentiate the queries from wordpress automaticly and put them to the right server
    • optimize queries
    • use opcode caches!
    • use memcached (of course for sessions, when you have a loadbalanced envoiment; and for some queries, too)! (install memcached on any server you have, memcache(d) can has a algorithm to know, to recall where a object is.

But that are just two cents from a 16-year old kiddie :P

@yomero said: Throw more swap at it!

Maybe you will laugh, but people are recommanding a very high amount of swap for redis clusters. It's because any kind of data in redis in in ram and on disk. But the ram is a limited thing... and many people said, that to have parts of the redis databases in swap is faster than old mysql clusters oO

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Amfy said: there are many option to optimize it.

• buy more servers

That's not optimization. It's expanding your resources.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • AmfyAmfy Member

@joepie91 said:

:P

I meant what someone can do, if his app gets popular quickly, and that coders mustn't worry about optimizing at beginning. Just focus on programming your app :)
    Look, nobody or mostly nobody has optimized their apps during the development process. Facebook started with simple php and mysql.

Now they have PHP HipHob, their own database, many optimizings with mysql, and so on

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2012

@Amfy said: Look, nobody or mostly nobody has optimized their apps during the development process.

I have, actually. And as far as I am aware it is pretty common amongst those that have limited resources.

• @joepie91 said: @Amfy said: there are many option to optimize it.

• buy more servers

That really depends on how well it scales. For example it might be inefficent when using a small number of servers but be optimized for more nodes, i.e. double the number of servers but get 4x the speed

• NickMNickM Member

I'm not looking for optimization, I'm looking for high availability and the ability to do writes on any node. MySQL isn't suitable for this (yes, I know about MySQL Cluster, but it's a pain to set up and it has a lot of limitations). Redis doesn't seem to allow for writes to occur on multiple nodes (actually, it seems to allow writes to slaves, but they don't propagate to the master). Likewise, MongoDB doesn't allow for multi-master environments either. Cassandra seems to fit the bill perfectly, except for not running on LEBs.

• Riak.

• gnelgnel Member
    edited April 2012

When invoking a java binary, the following command line options:

-Xmx256M -Xms256M

set the maximum heap size and in this case gives the program 256Mb of ram (the default is 64Mb)

so you may try to tune/lower those on cassandra, I put you some links:

http://rimuhosting.com/knowledgebase/linux/java/-Xmx-settings
    http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/performance/jvm-tuning.xtp

Also search "java xmx" and "java tuning" on google.

good luck!

• NickMNickM Member

With the heap size set to 96MB or less, it errors out ("Too small initial heap") and it still causes the OOM killer to start killing stuff off. At 128MB, it starts, but it causes OOM and a kernel panic. I just don't think Cassandra is going to play well with a small amount of RAM.

• @NickM said: With the heap size set to 96MB or less

Are you using the openjdk JRE? With generic java apps that exhibited OOM issues with openjdk on a 128/128 OVZ, I've had much better results with IBM's JRE instead.

• NickMNickM Member

I'll try that, thanks @quirkyquark

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This thread is...interesting.

@NickM said: I'm not looking for optimization, I'm looking for high availability and the ability to do writes on any node. MySQL isn't suitable for this (yes, I know about MySQL Cluster, but it's a pain to set up and it has a lot of limitations).

Are you looking for a setup where you can commit on any node and the nodes are allowed to be inconsistent (i.e., you commit on node 1 and nodes 3 and 4 may not reflect that for a little bit)? MySQL and many other products are fine.

If you want a RDBMS where all nodes are perfectly in sync, such that if you commit on node #1 and a microsecond later you query node #32 and it gives you a perfectly consistent answer that reflects that commit while still being highly performant, then you want Oracle RAC or IBM's DB/2 PureScale. Be prepared to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You are posting on a Low End Box forum talking about multi-master HA. Perhaps your needs are not as extreme as you suggest and you could probably live with MySQL clustering quite nicely?

MySQL 6.0 is rumored to have true synchronous replication...but of course, the commit on node 1 doesn't complete until the the commit on node 2 (and 3, 4, etc.) also succeed (two-phase commit), so unless you're in the same DC talking over a private network, it doesn't scale very well. And even then...there are limits.

If you don't want an RDBMS and are looking for NoSQL, then the options broaden. Of course, NoSQL vs. RDBMS are two completely different solutions.

An alternate to rolling your own is to look at Amazon's SimpleDB, DynamoDB, MongoHQ, etc. Heck, Amazon SimpleDB will give you 1GB free forever.

• what about running cassandra on these 6GB nodes(https://vpsdime.com/index.php#product).. I'm seduced by their high RAMs which perhaps should make them suitable to host cassandra ?