Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I colo near me
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I colo near me

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited April 2012 in General

In my other thread I was asking about colocation

Is it really needed to colo near me? I just want to, you know, be able to get my servers.

I got a quote for 999$/mo for a full cab, and 45amps in sandiego

Comments

• The closer you are the better. You can get there in case of an emergency and you save on shipping.

• How much does the place charge for remote hands?

• @Damian said: How much does the place charge for remote hands?

The thing is, I want more control.

• The thing is, here is MUCH more expensive.... Than say Datashack or joes

• 45 amps? Lol? 45U?

how many AMPs. Plus datashack uses cogent and he. 1gbit costs like 700 dollars. It is cheap as hell. Plus space is cheaper in Kansas. You get what you pay for.

Who is your San Diego provider?

• @bijan588 said: The thing is, I want more control.

IPMI?

• ^^^

I think he means like if a hard drive failed he can walk in and change it him self quickly.

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • @BassHost said: 45 amps? Lol? 45U?

how many AMPs. Plus datashack uses cogent and he. 1gbit costs like 700 dollars. It is cheap as hell. Plus space is cheaper in Kansas. You get what you pay for.

Who is your San Diego provider?

I dont have one yet, thats just a quote..

And yes, 45 AMPS

• Well if it is 45 amps then that is an awesome deal. Super cheap.

Most datacenters can not do 45 amps. (Weird number ... that is why I am not sure)

It goes

20 A on 120v
    30 A on 120v

20A on 208v
    30A on 208v

• Yes. I've never once had a good experience with colo'ing to a place that wasn't close by. Even now, I rent from WSI/Datashack because they are three hours away and that's just too far for me.

• Perhaps @Francisco can weigh in on how they can work things out with their DC in San Jose and him in Canada (BC?)

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

It is all about making the right plans and fully understanding what help will be given by the DC in the event of a disaster.

No point paying $5/month for 100U's of space if they aren't open on a saturday / Sunday for the public and you loose every last one of your customers :)

Infrastructure is something that you simply cannot plan enough.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited April 2012

This is just my 2 cents, but if you are offering paid services, then unless you have enough experience, you are best off starting with a DC physically accessible to you -- say, max. 2 hours driving time. Even if you have IPMI/KVM, worst case you can always just go fix it yourself.

• @bijan588 said: I got a quote for 999$/mo for a full cab, and 45amps in sandiego

How about wire? You do not mention any bandwidth.

Now, if you are close you can get away with skimping on the hardware as you are close and can just go fix it, but if you are far, you want good quality gear that you can remotely manage and drives do fail, often, so hot swap is a must as most datacenters will include no-charge reboots/hot swap.

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • bijan588bijan588 Member
    edited April 2012

@miTgiB said: How about wire? You do not mention any bandwidth.

30mbit at the 95th percentile, to 1gbit

• laaevlaaev Member

@quirkyquark said: Perhaps @Francisco can weigh in on how they can work things out with their DC in San Jose and him in Canada (BC?)

They have an onsite tech.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bijan588 said: 30mbit at the 95th percentile, to 1gbit

If this is a personal server then 95% is OK, but if this has clients, go with unit billing so then you don't get screwed.

Francisco

Thanked by 2bijan588 Erkan
  • @FTN_Kevin said: They have an onsite tech.

More like a rack rapist

Thanked by 2Kuro bijan588
  • @Francisco said: If this is a personal server then 95% is OK, but if this has clients, go with unit billing so then you don't get screwed.

Francisco

I'm just going to ask em to cap it at 30mbps

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bijan588 said: I'm just going to ask em to cap it at 30mbps

That works since they'd only give you 10TB probably

Francisco

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • @Francisco

Where in San Jose do you colo? I live in the area, and might be interested.

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • flyfly Member

coresite

Thanked by 2TheHackBox bijan588
  • Thanks to everyone in here, I have decided that I will collocate in san diego.

• Cool. Who's the lucky datacenter?

• Scalematrix or AIS

• If you're going to colo for mine craft hosting you're better off doing it in Dallas or Denver because both locations generally have central latency to the rest of the US. You stick those on the west coast, then East coast people may look elsewhere. with World of Warcraft servers were prime in Dallas, until they moved them to Chicago.

Same if you were ever going offer any VOIP products like ventrilo. It has to be less than 150ms to both coasts. Dallas is about 56/46 West/East Denver's a little higher only because the paths generally go south before going east or west depending on the provider. Some will go east to St Louis, but then go south again or up to Chicago after.

• I'd rather have Kansas City than Dallas or anything else central... except for Chicago. Chicago's fine.

• If you're looking at San Diego, consider Fast Serv. They posted this a while ago but the offer might still stand:

• Anybody have any PDU's/ Powerstrips with amp meters? xD

• @bijan588 said: with amp meters?

Kill-a-Watt FTW ;)