Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS [ru] review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS [ru] review

michelemmichelem Member
edited March 2014 in Reviews

I was always surprised by the passion with which a number of people, on this forum, constantly recommended EDIS.at. Even the best services rarely had that sort of "fans".

I'm posting some feedback on their Russia KVM location to provide data to weigh those comments with.

The bullet points

• uptime is good (comparable to competitors)
  • servers are slower than competitors
  • support is competent, occasionally disorganised between people, and not the most responsive
  • pricing is higher than competitors

The details

We needed a FreeBSD server in Moscow and could not go for NQHost.com – with whom we had a great experience over 3 years – because they lacked IPv6 in that location.

We then went for EDIS. We purchased mid/high-end KVM package "KVM Advanced plus" (1.5GB ram, dual core).

Support

Billing:

We requested pre-paid yearly billing before subscribing. Response from billing took some days to come in, so we started a test with a PayPal subscription. We repeated request for yearly, wire-transfer payments for the following months. The owners and the secretary responded independent of each other, which caused a short ping-pong.
We promptly performed the payment, but at the term of the PayPal month we received notifications urging us to perform the payment. We contacted in double the secretary and owner just to be sure, and they fixed the issue quickly.

There were no negative experiences, but as a Swiss/Austrian channel, the procedures were not up to the efficiency standards that the respective countries are famous for.

Tech:
EDIS was the first of our providers to notify about the Jan 29, 2014 Kloxo bug. Amongst the bunch of 8 providers we use, they were also the only ones to be affected to an extent visible to the customer. We make minimal use of tech support, and limit it to reporting problems or requesting details on undocumented features. We have one sample only of such contact, related to downtime. Our ticket was answered within 20 minutes and explained as a DDoS.

Performance

We can compare this server with other fully virtualized ones at NQhost , Hetzner, Prometeus, HostVirtual and others.

With the exact same software configuration, the server at EDIS is receiving amongst the lowest traffic of those providers, and the load is 3x higher than all. I/O runs at 24 MB/s peak, with hetzner reaching 60, NQHost 38 and Prometeus 34.

Network latency is good and stability is great.

We read many comments from LET users about how good EDIS is at picking datacenters. When we looked into a South America location, they were an obvious option. The most significant markets in SA are Brazil and Argentina, however, to which their Chile location has performance significantly worse than cheaper locations such as Miami.

Pricing

Their offers are weak on storage space, so that we found ourself to overshoot all other specs to get a storage space sufficient for some breathing aside the installed OS. For example, their 512MB package is 5GB storage only, barely enough for a small UNIX distribution. Their 1GB RAM package is 12GB storage, which leaves tight space for some data, but no tranquillity for growth.

The first package with some storage is 20$/mo, for which other providers offer 50GB ups and 2GB ram.

Flexibility

According to their support, EDIS does not offer custom plans, and does not upgrade images.

If you suspect you might have growth in one year, and do not want to waste days for a manual migration, their suggestion is to opt for the highest required option upfront.

Conclusion

We are not dissatisfied with EDIS. We just wonder where all the passion for them shared by several users on LET originates. We post this review to provide an additional reference to weigh those with.

When asked for reference, we would suggest EDIS after these providers:

Note that this review covers their Russia KVM offering only – although the part concerning their support will reasonably apply to all other locations. EDIS mentions it's unfair to compare a RU location with EU/US ones. This is true for networking and stability, where we're satisfied of their performance. Server and pricing-wise are the harder spots; there NQHost can afford to keep EU and US prices aligned with their Moscow DC Tel location.

Thanked by 2William Lee

Comments

• An excellent review! Better than any I've seen on here before :)

Good job!

I currently have an Iceland OVZ acting as my mail server, but that's about it. I haven't benchmarked it or needed to perform maintenance as it is so stable.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2014

We needed a FreeBSD server in Moscow and could not go for NQHost.com – with whom we had a great experience over 3 years – because they lacked IPv6 there.

Hear that, all those "there is no demand for IPv6" providers? Maybe only a minority of your customers ask for IPv6 -- but you don't know how many more just silently go and choose a competitor because you don't have it.

Thanked by 3rds100 michelem William
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

said: They were also the only ones to be affected.

Probably many were affected, they just don't know it.

said: With the exact same software configuration, the server at EDIS is receiving amongst the lowest traffic of those providers, and the load is 3x higher than all. I/O runs at 24 MB/s peak, with hetzner reaching 60, NQHost 38 and Prometeus 34.

What kind of test are you doing?

• Thanks for the review :)

Some things:

said: . We repeated request for yearly, wire-transfer payments for the following months

Sorry, but yes we do not offer Wire transfer at all anymore - Too much work involved.

Yes, they are free for us (as are all Euro inbound and outbound transfers in Austria as we have no local costs, thus none in the EU either - I also get cash at any EUR EU ATM without fees...) but doing it automatic is complicated (Sender verification, Subject line messed up by source/intermediate bank etc.) so it needs manual work which means costs, more than PayPal and CC in the end.

I can totally understand why someone would not use PayPal (neither do i, i just use a CC over it to be able to chargeback if they/seller does something stupid), thus the extra CC option (with working recurring billing by token) by a large bank (RBS) and no data storage by us (except the Token if recurring, which can be voided at the WorldPay panel at any time). Might be more available in the future, payment processing is pretty complicated in DE and AT. Payment with a Securecode/Verified by VISA enabled CC as first order can also speed up the process as less verification is required (Dispute management of RBS usually does not hold us accountable for fraud done with MC SC/VbV).

said: According to their support, EDIS does not offer custom plans, and does not upgrade images.

Correct. Resizing the HDD is (currently, maybe) not possible in our system, we recommend to migrate where feasible (rsync over, basically) and can switch the IPs then so the "new" IP is cancelled with the old server (not guaranteed to be possible; inquire with support at the time it is needed). Custom plans are not offered due to unified systems across all locations and planning for upgrades/new nodes.

said: The most significant markets in SA are Brazil and Argentina, however, to which their Chile location has performance significantly worse than cheaper locations such as Miami.

The problem is that Brazil has extreme high import taxes (depending on whom you ask 100-500%, and this guy in the embassy was not very friendly at all, the Chileans gave me the rate table after a few min) and Argentina has not really any stable currency (or a legal way to get USD/EUR in without a local company, they try to do some (not working) "inflation control") and tends to get international isolated (or bankrupt) all few decades (or in wars that are entirely impossible to win, even in theory).

This is too much risk for longterm planning, in special with a very hard EU (due to .FK)/US (due to many things) relationship (Chile has a hard US (CIA) one of course too, but no issues with the EU/UK)

Further i personally condemn Argentina for allowing known Nazi war criminals to live there and ignore extradiction requests from AT/DE/FR (etc.) since 60+ years. Not nice.

Chile has low import tax (around 15% total) but BW to neighbours is lacking often due to the different geography (seacable to US West is in Chile much more common than East/FL as with AR/BR etc.), international BW and service often lacks by GTD/Telmex not really thinking much about what they do (Telmex (or GTD, not sure) still has a RADB route object they insisted is required when their downstream announces our prefixes, yea, go figure) - GTD is "small" internationally and Telmex concentrates on their core markets (Mexico and bordering countries).

said: There were no negative experiences, but as a Swiss/Austrian channel, the procedures were not up to the efficiency standards that the respective countries are famous for.

I don't want to be negative, but that stereotype applies only to Germans usually (at least here), Austrians make fun of them often (yet many drive VW/BMW/Audi/Merc) :)

Hetzner
    Prometeus
    HostVirtual

Sorry, i do'nt think you can compare our Russian location (or any other outside of the respective country) with another ISP in another country (and, in special, inside the EU). This is just not fair in many regards, hardware acquiral is much harder inside Russia and colocation with guaranteed BW is not that cheap either.

said: They were also the only ones to be affected

This is not true at all - This bug was affecting hundreds of ISPs and thousands of VPS - Webhostingtalk and LET confirm this. I don't think you can hold us accountable for an exploit inside Kloxo, which is neither maintained nor recommended (in any way, we usually point to VestaCP) by us. We just informed all customers as it was, of course, affecting (client! We do not use any Kloxo or similar panel) servers with us as well as security measure for other clients that might be not affected yet.

rm_ said: Hear that, all those "there is no demand for IPv6" providers?

It was actually not even hard to get v6 in Russia, not sure why not more offer it...

• @rm_ yes, lack of native IPv6 routing always a deal breaker here.

• @William Thanks for your replies.

Wire payments

I agree on the overhead for pay-as-you-go, but for yearly or 2-years billing like we asked, that really makes little sense. Just verify payments twice a month, and freeze instances overdue. A script can do it for you based on your bank's CSV with last month's payments. That's the swiss way.

Chile vs Brazil

It wasn't about how hard it is in Brazil. It is about, what's the point with Chile at all, since Miami is much cheaper and routes much better to the only two online economies in that continent.

Kloxo bug

I edited that sentence to clarify what we meant.

THanks for your feedback, and keep up writing here.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2014

said: to an extent visible to the customer

Well, while sort of true this is not correct either - Yes, we had issues with it - because we host many (many) VPS.... this comes automatically then when some external SW gets exploited that is popular to be ran on them. :)

michelem said: I agree on the overhead for pay-as-you-go, but for yearly or 2-years billing like we asked, that really makes little sense. Just verify payments twice a month, and freeze instances overdue.

Yea... thats what we did. Not possible, we have to do accounting for our normal (very large local/EU) webhosting as well. In the future there might be something (with the new SEPA standard its both harder an easier, depending on what aspect you look) for it.

If we can charge the account it is easy, if we need to take manual transfers... it is not.

michelem said: A script can do it for you based on your bank's CSV with last month's payments. That's the swiss way.

And not legal here (or, i'm not an expert on tax laws here anymore, only criminal, at least VERY questionable) - Just as an idea, we verify each invoice manually printed because this is required (or was 2013, i know something changed '14 but i doubt it was this, just requested the tax law changes from the Justice Ministry so i can tell you tommorow if you want)

michelem said: what's the point with Chile at all

In reality? Not much, simple the location no one else has with pricing that is not excessive for latin america (i think we are one of the cheapest on the continent), it is also politically very stable and neutral.

michelem said: THanks for your feedback, and keep up writing here.

np :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Prometeus having 34 MB/s io ? All that looks very low, maybe you forgot to enable virtio?

Thanked by 1tux
  • Edis good, but prometeus better for me.
    Excellect support & services.