Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISCSI Disk?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ISCSI Disk?

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited February 2014 in Help

Is this an actual disk, or is it just a partition of a disk?

I saw an offer for a dedi with 100GB ISCSI Disk, but I didn't even know you could get 100GB drives (usually 80/120). The fact it's so cheap also made me wonder if it was a single partition of say a 2TB drive or something

Edit: nevermind, should have searched first. found my answer

Comments

• It's basically a partition (more accurate term would be a LUN). If the provider is reputable and intelligent enough to do iSCSI properly (and if they're doing iSCSI they need to be intelligent), it should perform roughly equivalent to a local disk, though not QUITE as well.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Magiobiwan said:
    It's basically a partition (more accurate term would be a LUN). If the provider is reputable and intelligent enough to do iSCSI properly (and if they're doing iSCSI they need to be intelligent), it should perform roughly equivalent to a local disk, though not QUITE as well.

Thanks for the reply

• It's a virtual disk on a SAN. Not a physical disk attached to the machine, but a virtual disk attached over the network,

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I simply love the iSCSI protocol and I use it to mount disks on my computers which are hosted elsewhere over the internet. It behaves like a local disk, but, of course the actual speeds are limited by your internet connection, for example at home i do some 20 MB/s to the datacenter where I host my servers upload and about 3 times more download even though my connection is supposed to be symmetric, it isnt :(
    Even so, it has enough iops as it is hosted on raid 10 so I can use it much like an IDE drive of an older generation which does about the same speeds in "dd test" but this one has higher iops by far.

• @Maounique said:
    I simply love the iSCSI protocol and I use it to mount disks on my computers which are hosted elsewhere over the internet. It behaves like a local disk, but, of course the actual speeds are limited by your internet connection, for example at home i do some 20 MB/s to the datacenter where I host my servers upload and about 3 times more download even though my connection is supposed to be symmetric, it isnt :(
    Even so, it has enough iops as it is hosted on raid 10 so I can use it much like an IDE drive of an older generation which does about the same speeds in "dd test" but this one has higher iops by far.

I hope you have your data backed up. That's a horrible idea to run iSCSI over the internet. Let's hope you don't disconnect while updating any important data such as partition information or a file.

Thanked by 1Magiobiwan
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2014

The data is further layered in containers, those are written at once and read many. Disconnections happen when I lose power anyway with real disks which can also fail physically. It is not more dangerous, besides, this is why journaled file systems have been invented.
    EDIT: As for the backups... Those are the backups in case my house burns or something.