Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation suitable for L5520
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation suitable for L5520

c0yc0y Member
edited January 2014 in Requests

Hi,

I am looking to colocate multiple L5520s in the future, preferably Eastern North America but anything meeting my requirements somewhere else in North America or in Europe will be taken into consideration (granted it's affordable)

Requirements:

• Enough power for these monsters (I think 2A @ 110V?)
  • 100mbps unmetered (looking for no overages, not planning on utilizing more than 10% of the capacity or so) best effort/burstable is fine, Gigabit uplink is even better of course
  • Announce own IP space
  • Native IPv6

I would just like to mention how awesome it is to get personal answers from people with experience vs contacting every possible provider and hunt like crazy. Looking forward to suggestions.

Comments

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

CyberWurx in Atlanta is running a special:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1343704

• c0yc0y Member

@qps said:
    CyberWurx in Atlanta is running a special:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1343704

Thank you for the suggestion but this bit

*New customer or add-on service to existing customer only.

puts me off especially.

Including the fact that they claim it a "special" while "Similar Threads" box at the bottom shows tons of almost 1:1 copies. I'm not in for this consumer "promo" bullshit, I would like a consistent deal I can count on, not hope on.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2014

Hi, we can do this for you.

1U Colo
    2A @ 110V
    /29 IPv4
    100mbits unmetered - yes, no overage, real unmetered
    Announce own IP space (a small setup fee required for announcement)
    Native IPv6 (you can also announce your IP space here)
    $99/month $0 setup fee
    Dallas, Texas

non-special

Maybe Colo@ has something for you. @RyanD

• @c0y how many units and we could do Atlanta or Weehawken, NJ :)

• c0yc0y Member

@qps said:
    Maybe Colo@ has something for you. RyanD

Thank you once again for your helpful suggestions.

@RyanD said:
    c0y how many units and we could do Atlanta or Weehawken, NJ :)

Hi Ryan,

1U should do, unless you meant units as in servers at once, which would be 1 too because I want to start small.

New Jersey sounds interesting, got a test IP for both locations perhaps? If you could get a quote on both locations so I could consider them :-)

I'm all in for multiple locations, so any additional suggestions are still greatly appreciated!

• @c0y - what is the spec of this server? It maybe cheaper to actually just get some dedicated servers. L5520's are cheap and I reckon for $99/month you can get the server and bandwidth.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited January 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    c0y - what is the spec of this server? It maybe cheaper to actually just get some dedicated servers. L5520's are cheap and I reckon for $99/month you can get the server and bandwidth.

I haven't actually bought one yet, but I will in the near future. Regarding renting: something I considered too, however they usually won't let you use your own disk setup, ripping you off on disk prices.

That said most dedicated server providers can't give me a BGP session for multiple reasons (their upstream has no feeling for doing so, they don't know how, they are afraid, they want you to buy their IPs, I've heard too many reasons/excuses in the past).

It's also worth noting owning your data and equipment could be a better long term business decision.

• @Coy - owning absolutely but L5520 is probably not worth owning. It would make sense to spend the money if you want something that will at least last long enough to depreciate it properly like an E3/E5.

Also remember if you own the kit and something goes wrong, you need to have the spares to fix it. I know that some of our brands who do colo in Chicago, LA and Phoenix often get customers whose equipment dies eg PSU failure or mobo and then suddenly their out of action. Customer hits Ebay looking for replacement pieces but by the time they are on-site its 4-5 days later.

If you are going to colo, make sure you ship the obvious spare parts unless you can afford to be offline.

Do you already have IP space and AS #? We do offer BGP transit for colo customers. Drop me a PM to give me more info on what you're trying to achieve and I'll hook you up with someone who can get this setup. I don't want to pollute my presence on here with other brand names, it will just cause confusion.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said:
    Hi, we can do this for you.

1U Colo
    2A @ 110V
    /29 IPv4
    100mbits unmetered - yes, no overage, real unmetered
    Announce own IP space (a small setup fee required for announcement)
    Native IPv6 (you can also announce your IP space here)
    $99/month $0 setup fee
    Dallas, Texas

@c0y Going off what Harry said, here is our looking glass in Dallas: http://tx.lg.queryfoundry.net/

• c0yc0y Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Coy - owning absolutely but L5520 is probably not worth owning. It would make sense to spend the money if you want something that will at least last long enough to depreciate it properly like an E3/E5.

I was actually talking about legal benefit.

If delimiter can give me a decent price on disks or let me send (and replace) my own drives and get me a BGP session (yes I have an ASN ready) I would gladly consider renting instead if the deal fits.

Same goes for @concerto49 / @fliphost

I would like to thank everyone once again for all the suggestions and co-operation which I really appreciate, that should be said too.

@c0y We have L5520s in stock if you want a rental.

• @c0y PM me your AS # and I'll let you know

• We don't do BGP on single rented servers. Though do you have a router? Do you need BGP or just IPs announced? I would say unless you have a specific reason you might not need it.

Sure, if you pay the remote hands fees and understand the risks you can send and replace your own drives.

• c0yc0y Member

@concerto49 said:
    We don't do BGP on single rented servers. Though do you have a router? Do you need BGP or just IPs announced? I would say unless you have a specific reason you might not need it.

Sure, if you pay the remote hands fees and understand the risks you can send and replace your own drives.

We are definite about using our own IPs.
    Routed IPs vs a full BGP set-up is an option though...

• @c0y said:
    We are definite about using our own IPs. Routed IPs vs a full BGP set-up is an option though...

It probably is. You'd need a router even if software, maintain it and all sorts of overhead. Might not be worth it unless you have a need.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I could offer you half a rack at some 500 Eur. It includes 1 gbps unmettered, A+B, 250 mbps guaranteed, BGP session or static, many peers and what is not in the list over Level 3. Location, Romania, Eastern Europe. I am in location and can provide the servers too for cheap or the parts.
    Just to be clear, my own company deals with this.