Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unsure about WeLoveServers' love for servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unsure about WeLoveServers' love for servers

This is somewhat of a follow-up to a previous preliminary review of WeLoveServers (WLS) and unfortunately things didnt improve.

I have been with WLS for about four months now and do realise that it is a budget provider who cannot afford to provide the same level of service as a premium provider, nonetheless the basic service should be provided and this is where WLS unfortunately failed.
To summarise it in one sentence, the provided uptime as well as somewhat the nonchalant reaction and attitude to this problem has been highly disappointing. WLS guarantees an uptime of 99.9% and while this is naturally only an optimistic promise and certain events can bring it below this number it should not happen constantly. The uptime I experienced was rather 99.02% (which doesnt seem to be much in numbers but is actually a tenfold increase of downtime; and for the current period it is actually even only 97.4%), there was a total of eleven outages with an average downtime of 90 minutes each. In short I could expect an outage every ten days, almost precisely timed like a watch.

As for their support team, they were always polite and the 24/7 support times seem to be accurate (the average response time is ~50 minutes) but they were never too technical, seemed to provide mostly canned responses and were overall rather reactive than pro-active (not once it seemed only my ticket made them aware of an outage).

To be completely fair, two months of service have been provided for free due to a generous compensation issued by Noeil Serian after some unnecessary back and forth and insisting on the advertised SLA for a lengthy outage. This however is certainly put into perspective by the subsequent outages and the respective SLA. Furthermore it should be probably said that, as long as the service is up, the performance is good. As long as it is up.

Comments

• Anyone have same problem? I'm just about to move my website to wls, BTW I just found out they use colocrossing

• @namhuy said:
    Anyone have same problem? I'm just about to move my website to wls, BTW I just found out they use colocrossing

I have used them for 2 months now, and have a uptime of 99.923% with a 1 minute monitor. They just changed from normal HDD servers to SSD cached servers, and I get a disk speed of:

[root@vpsxxx ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf iotest 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.85984 s, 278 MB/s

Have seen some high loads on my server from time to time, but it's seems like they monitors their servers, and stop high CPU abuse pretty fast.

• I've been using wls for 5 months. Had a few misunderstanding with them but still support them. I love their openvz 8 cores offers. Good service and support

• Yes, they seem to have had significant downtime this month. This is my monitoring of WLS Node 15: http://pinger.droidzone.in/

• from uptimerobots,
    Down 26-01-2014 07:38:57 --- 5 hrs, 32 mins
    Down 23-01-2014 09:39:41 --- 11 hrs, 14 mins

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@joelgm said:
    Yes, they seem to have had significant downtime this month. This is my monitoring of WLS Node 15: http://pinger.droidzone.in/

Hm. Why is GeekPing under a CC license?

• OxideOxide Member
    edited January 2014

Recently we have been having issues with several nodes locking up and requiring reboots, therefore resulting in downtime. This is because of compromised Kloxo installations on client VPSs sending DDoS attacks. As you may already know, Kloxo recently had a significant zero day exploit released, which essentially allowed affected systems to be used to send DDoS. A lot of VPS clients of ours ran Kloxo on their servers. In order to combat this, we have prohibited Kloxo official as part of our acceptable use policy and if clients wish to continue to use Kloxo, they must upgrade to Kloxo-MR or use a different control panel. An announcement was released and emailed to all clients. http://core.weloveservers.net/announcements.php?id=15

Chris

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited January 2014

@joepie91 said:
    Hm. Why is GeekPing under a CC license?

I couldnt find a better one that could protect my rights and be open source. I'm open to suggestions (Anyone may PM me with suggestions).

• Oxide said: Kloxo

So the node issues should now have been resolved for good?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

@joelgm said:
    I couldnt find a better one that could protect my rights and be open source. I'm open to suggestions (Anyone may PM me with suggestions).

The license you are using is not open-source. It violates points 3 and 6 of the Open Source Definition. There's additional issues in that it's unclear what exactly falls under "commercial" use and what doesn't (this is a long-running controversy), and that CC licenses cannot really be used for code as they do not distinguish between source and binary form.

Here's a guide I wrote about licensing a while ago, which would probably be helpful here :)

• Very very far from 99.9%. 2 are reported down now. It is very likely the network problem somewhere between uptimerobot and my boxes. It is boring to receive so many mails from uptimerobot.