Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ServerBear][DelimiterVPS] HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB - $30/mo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[ServerBear][DelimiterVPS] HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB - $30/mo

Hey guys,

This isn't meant to be a review.. just benchmarks. I'll post a review as I use the service more.

Some details..
I ordered my server on 01/09/2014.. delivered 01/15/2014.
I've opened about 5 tickets in total. Support has been really great so far! Really decent response times. Got IPv6 allocated in one, they mounted a custom HP VMWare image locally cause remote disk was taking forever, and I managed to mess up my iLO configuration which they promptly fixed.

Anyways on to the benchmarks..
Link: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/01/17/fdSJyxKwp0cJsyp6

I'm not an expert with dedicateds by any means and am mostly messing with it. Hoping to have some VMs up at the end of the day!

Thanked by 1MarkTurner

Comments

• Location... Kingston Jamaica ?

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited January 2014

@sc754 said:
    Location... Kingston Jamaica ?

looks like a maxmind error.. I've had it happen on a few VPS providers like VPSCheap.net. :)

• @sc754 - Its their new line of off-shore hosting (joking)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've been super impressed with the uptime for over a month now on delimiter. It is my opinion that they have improved their game and they are on a good path, based on the data in front of me. Over a month of 100% uptime.

I just ordered this server, canceled my atom, and I'm moving my production sites to delimiter. I keep backups at backupsy, I can have a digitalocean spun up and running like nothing happened in less than 10 minutes. Yet, I feel confident in delimiter. Given the history, that's a big deal to me, but at some point I have to say...the service is awesome and the support has been incredibly responsive and helpful.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @jarland said:
    I've been super impressed with the uptime for over a month now on delimiter. It is my opinion that they have improved their game and they are on a good path, based on the data in front of me. Over a month of 100% uptime.

I just ordered this server, canceled my atom, and I'm moving my production sites to delimiter. I keep backups at backupsy, I can have a digitalocean spun up and running like nothing happened in less than 10 minutes. Yet, I feel confident in delimiter. Given the history, that's a big deal to me, but at some point I have to say...the service is awesome and the support has been incredibly responsive and helpful.

Hey @Jarland are you using virtualization? :) If so may I ask which hypervisor?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@David_P said:
    Hey Jarland are you using virtualization? :) If so may I ask which hypervisor?

None at all. Despite the benefits, I've been pushing myself to go without it because it challenges me more to be careful and precise about the configurations I apply. Fine tuning my instincts is a big task for me lately.

• @jarland said:
    None at all. Despite the benefits, I've been pushing myself to go without it because it challenges me more to be careful and precise about the configurations I apply. Fine tuning my instincts is a big task for me lately.

Ah :) thanks anyways.

VMWare's documentation on v6 is driving me crazy and 5.0 sucks with it apparently.

• @David_P - are you using VMWare on one of Delimiter's servers?

• @MarkTurner said:
    David_P - are you using VMWare on one of Delimiter's servers?

Yes sir.

• @David_P - what issues are you having?

• @MarkTurner said:
    David_P - what issues are you having?

It's mostly just VMWare's problem. The G1 is only compatible with VMWare's 5.0 version which doesn't have amazing v6 support from the looks of it. I'd really like 5.5, but HP nor VMWare really recommend running that on the older hardware.

I'm using HP's VMware images which include the necessary drivers for the blades.

• @David_P - From what I can tell we have customers running v6 on these blades. If you need a G5 or later then speak to Steve ([email protected]). I am not sure of pricing from Delimiter but we have G7/G8 in stock at that location too.

• @MarkTurner said:
    David_P - From what I can tell we have customers running v6 on these blades. If you need a G5 or later then speak to Steve ([email protected]). I am not sure of pricing from Delimiter but we have G7/G8 in stock at that location too.

Will check it out. :)

• could you benchmark video encoding on your dedi?

• Are they offering ipv4 ? Where is the location ?

• c0yc0y Member

@MarkTurner - how much would an additional disk cost?

• @c0y I believe I was told an additional $10 a month for a second 500GB drive.

• @Ruriko - have you got a benchmarking script?
    @knopix80 - IPv4 and IPv6 - these offers are in Atlanta
    @c0y - $10/month for 500GB, there are 1TB available too. I don't know their pricing - its on their order form though

• @David_P said:
    Hey guys,

This isn't meant to be a review.. just benchmarks. I'll post a review as I use the service more.

Some details..
    I ordered my server on 01/09/2014.. delivered 01/15/2014.
    I've opened about 5 tickets in total. Support has been really great so far! Really decent response times. Got IPv6 allocated in one, they mounted a custom HP VMWare image locally cause remote disk was taking forever, and I managed to mess up my iLO configuration which they promptly fixed.

Anyways on to the benchmarks..
    Link: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/01/17/fdSJyxKwp0cJsyp6

I'm not an expert with dedicateds by any means and am mostly messing with it. Hoping to have some VMs up at the end of the day!

@MarkTurner

The both of you may wanna look at this i serverbear one of my servers same machine and it has different cpu scores maybe i have some super monster i should check the other ones i picked up byt it scored almost 50% more then urs.

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2014/01/15/9BEf5Aq3exz4fRLV

• @wojons @David_P - which OS/version are you running

• proxmox 3.0 so i guess its a some version of debian i know if its 6 or 7

• I have to say I have been fairly happy with my BL460C from Delimiter so far. There support has been very good so far. I have opened 6 or 7 tickets so far and most of them were responded to within an hour. Most of the tickets were to get IPs allocated. So not service impacting issues. My reverse DNS ticket took 16 hours or so but still less than 24 hours and I have an open ticket that they have escalated to their Net Ops team for some latency I have been seeing on Cogent and a little bit of packet loss on my dedicated box. But overall for the price I am pretty happy.

• @MarkTurner said:
    wojons David_P - which OS/version are you running

proxmox 3.0 so i guess its a some version of debian i know if its 6 or 7

• @MarkTurner said:
    Ruriko - have you got a benchmarking script?
    knopix80 - IPv4 and IPv6 - these offers are in Atlanta
    c0y - $10/month for 500GB, there are 1TB available too. I don't know their pricing - its on their order form though

Is that /28 or /29 for ip public ipv4 ?
    Any problem with the iLO or can I ask them to install ESXi 5.5 ?

• @wojons - I think you have High Performance mode set in the BIOS where as @David_P you have it set to dynamic mode.

Always best to set it to High Performance all the time

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • @knopix80 - yes /28 or /29 IPv4 and you can request /64 IPv6

ILO gives you full KVM, remote media and power control

ESXi is on their provisioning system so you can install it from there or install from an ISO on your local machine using the remote media.

• kajakkajak Member
    edited January 2014

I believe they also offer /28 blocks. I have a /29 block of IPs. They charge $1 per month per IP. So the /29 costs me an additional $8 a month. It is public IPs for my /29. I installed their base ESXi 5.1 from their portal and then I upgraded it to 5.5 via ILO it took around an hour or so but worked fine.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • @MarkTurner said:
    wojons - I think you have High Performance mode set in the BIOS where as David_P you have it set to dynamic mode.

Always best to set it to High Performance all the time

Mine is set to high performance. Running CentOS 5.

• @David_P said:
    Mine is set to high performance. Running CentOS 5.

I have some blank ones still i can install centos5 and run the serverbear and see if its an issue with the os?

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited January 2014

@wojons said:
    I have some blank ones still i can install centos5 and run the serverbear and see if its an issue with the os?

that'd be great :)

I'll install Proxmox and bench it. Was gonna do some testing with it anyways.

I'm running the one with CentOS 5 (BL460C) on the name.