Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VM from an OVA image
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VM from an OVA image

jhjh Member
edited November 2013 in Requests

Hi everyone

For my studies I need a VM to be created from an OVA image. I will need the VM for about one month - happy to pay a small amount for it.

Specs are roughly 1GB RAM, 8GB storage and 1 IPv4.

Can any well-known provider offer this this? I need it as soon as possible.

James

Comments

• I think OVA image is only supported by OpenNode Virtualization Environment

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

As far as I know its supported by virtualbox

• @gbshouse said:
    As far as I know its supported by virtualbox

I meant when you're trying to import it elsewhere.

edited November 2013

Hmmmm if I remember correctly OVA is a single file OVF
    Edit: I've double checked this - OVA it's targzetted OVF structure and OVF is supported by multiple platforms. If the disk files are created as VMDKs it's should be possible to import it to VMware

• pbalazs123pbalazs123 Member
    edited November 2013

@gbshouse said:
    Hmmmm if I remember correctly OVA is a single file OVF

Yes.

OVA (Open Virtualization Appliance) –> is just one single file (one single file), which could be considered as a zip of all the files that belong to the ovf directory. So if you want to share your VM on the internet you would create a single OVA file (just like a zip file). To consume the file, you have to convert it first to OVF ( just like you unzip a file before you use it).

OVF (Open Virtualization Format) –> is a collection of vm files (*.vmdks, *.ovf, *.mf, *.vhd). The OVF file itself is just an xml file that has information about the vmdks files in the directory. When I export my VM as an OVF, a directory is created that has an ovf file and vmdks …

• jhjh Member

The OVA has a VMDK inside it. I managed to convert that to a RAW file but OnApp is refusing to boot it so I need a little help :)

• pbalazs123pbalazs123 Member
    edited November 2013

@jhadley said:
    The OVA has a VMDK inside it. I managed to convert that to a RAW file but OnApp is refusing to boot it so I need a little help :)

OVF is not a specification that describes a virtual disk. To import OVF content requires hypervisor compatibility with the associated virtual disk.

For example, to import a VMware produced OVF, which includes a VMDK disk into XenServer, the user needs to convert the VMDK into a virtual disk format compatible with XenServer. The same process is needed to import a XenServer OVF which includes a VHD into a VMware hypervisor.

Maybe that's why you can't boot it...

@jhadley - if you have windows box run the virtualbox as it should support multiple disk formats ... or run headless virtualbox on linux

• You should be all set now - this was a simply python script I found that helped make the virtualbox to VMWare changes:

https://gist.github.com/eshizhan/6650285

Very simple but did the job in one operation.

• jhjh Member

I'm sorted thanks to Mark.