Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh It's this guy asking questions again...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oh It's this guy asking questions again...

JacobJacob Member
edited March 2012 in General

I'm stuck on the hardware side of things, Yet again.. I setup a Soft RAID 1 Config on one of the servers and Soon after I realised some amounts I entered for the partioning was Incorrect. After trying to run the CentOS Installer again I realised one of the drives had shrunk to 31MB! in size and the other one was ok at 931GB Spare.

I have booted into KillDisk(Hard Drive Wiper) and it shows less sectors then the other 1TB Drive and also 31MB Available Space.

Does anyone have any Idea on what has gone wrong here and is their like a hidden partion within the drive or something? Hopefully it is repairable :|

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

boot up gparted and thank me later

Thanked by 1netomx
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2012

Are these SATA drives? Try running smart on them and see if they've got any weirdness going on.

You could try wiping out the partition table on the 31mb drive.

Another thought: if the array was created with a GPT partition table, and then was booted with a kernel that does not support GPT, Bad Things will happen. But any modern kernel should support GPT by now...

• I <3 gparted. Except for modifying LVM's...

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2012

@Francisco gparted is just to manage the partition tables on drives, Right? I'll try it in the morning.

@Damian They are SATA, The drives them self are sound with no bad sectors and little to none use time proberly 2 Days max but for some reason one of them is playing up....(It worked fine originally, Still does no wierd sounds from the drive just the 31MB Issue).

@Jacob said: @Francisco gparted is just to manage the partition tables on drives, Right? I'll try it in the morning.

You old enough to remember partitionmagic?

It's the same thing but opensource and all that. It allows you to fully prep/format/remake/resize/etc your partitions. You should be able to form your RAID1 from inside the GUI as well :)

Francisco

• @DotVPS said: Stable release 8.05 (Build 1371) / May 5, 2004; 7 years ago Is this what you mean? Who isn't 7 or above here?

Don't know about you... but I sure as hell wasn't working with early-80s software when I was a toddler.

• Wow, PartitionMagic actually made it to 2004? I remember when it was a floppy-based thing that tried to be trendy with a psuedo-Windows user interface.

@Aldryic said: Don't know about you... but I sure as hell wasn't working with early-80s software when I was a toddler.

I did a LOT of volunteer work at a local literacy group we have in Victoria, I was there onsite tech for their computer lab. :P I got something like 1000+ hours logged with them.

@dotvps - That's the one yes, gparted emulates a lot of what it supported into their own setup.

Francisco

• JacobJacob Member

Thanks for the tips guys, Can I boot both from a USB?

• @Jacob said: Thanks for the tips guys, Can I boot both from a USB?

GParted is just a standard live environment based on Debian, so it should boot off USB as long as your computer supports it (which is rare if it doesn't unless your using OS X)

• JacobJacob Member

My computer is known to burn USBs but it seems like it doesn't burn this Kingston USB that I got from my local PC Guy( Thanks Dave! ) :-)

• I remember attempting to use PartitionMagic to attempt to recover my system after my Stacker container file got corrupted on my 540 MB hard drive... ah, memories...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@WhiteLabelHosting said: Oh my god, PartitionMagic, damn that is nostalgic :D.

Not really, I remember it was around in the 2000ish, for me nostalgic is like 4004, punch card storage (was taking to the school for the required recycled paper quota), tape rolls (used in the garden to hang the tomatoes), Z80, printer as stdout, SCSI cd-writer on ISA Adaptec controller, MS-DOS laptop, RAM ISA card, lots of other wonders I played with when i was young :)
    When I watch Star Trek and i see how the distant future was imagined in the nineties regarding computers, it really freaks me out, how would it really be in 400 years from now ? I think the Borg are more like the future for us...
    M

• I remember the Windows for Workgroups mini-laptops that had the pop-out mouse on a metal strip. That thing was utter trash, but amused the hell out of me when I was younger.

• You want nostalgia?
    Check out this badboy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZHa7ZC6Z0

• @Jacob

What did you take this picture with? A calculator?

• JacobJacob Member

Its with my samsung galaxy Ace, the lights was off not best lighting but the camera is decent.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nostalgia? I had a KayPro 2000, who was stolen from me :(

• @Jacob: Did you try obliterating the partition table and forcing gparted to create a new one?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@WhiteLabelHosting said: its nostalgic for the younger ones like myself :)

Hey, I am young too :o See, I am watching and writing here, I mean, how old can I be ? :P
    M

• JacobJacob Member

There was actually no partition table, as you can see in the images. The sectors are smaller then the other drive and also its capacity is 31.8MB! Im getting the last shipment tomorrow and am boxing everything up so I need everything to work..

Any Ideas guys?

are you sure it isn't a USB drive hooked up? >_>

Francisco

• JacobJacob Member

You can see the USB is the 4GB (3GB Usable) Drive. Both HDs are same models.

I also found someone with a similar situation. http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-shrunk-387241.html

I just am stuck on what to do at the momment.