Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting companies that allows buy a disk or ship it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting companies that allows buy a disk or ship it?

lala_thlala_th Member
edited May 2023 in Requests

Hi there,

I'm very interested to know hosting companies that allows purchasing HDD/SSD disks one time payment or allow ship it.

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@DataIdeas-Josh , perhaps?

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@lala_th said:
    Hi there,

I'm very interested to know hosting companies that allows purchasing HDD/SSD disks one time payment or allow ship it.

@MannDude said:
    @DataIdeas-Josh , perhaps?

Indeed you can buy a drive and we can attach it to a Raspberry Pi.
    At the moment we don't offer slot hosting but looking into it.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@lala_th said:
    Hi there,

Hi!
    I personally was thinking about something like this.
    I found a pretty good offer for some 2U servers that support 24 SFF slots and the idea behind it was to offer a maximum of 24 VPSs per node so that the disk performance is strictly influenced by the # of IO operations of that client.

What I was thinking was something like this:

• 3 euros per month per physically installed SSD
    • 1 euro per month per GB RAM
    • 2 euros per month per dedicated physical thread
    • 5 euros for each 10TB/month, the first 10TB free
    • 1Gbps best-effort connection (3Gbps best-effort at rack level)
    • 1 EUR per IPv4 address

The node I intend to buy allows:

• 192 threads of 2.60 - 3.50GHz
    • 2048 GB of RAM DDR4 2400MHz ECC

Purchase prices of SSDs for customers would be something like this - Samsung PM893 (new):

• 480GB => 55 EUR
    • 960GB => 110 EUR
    • 3840GB => 290 EUR
    • 7680GB => 606 EUR

The prices are suggestive and it must be taken into account that it is only a prototype, but the idea behind it is to have more stable customers (due to the fact that they paid for their own hardware) at the expense of those who come and leave after a month.

If such a prototype would work, we could also upgrade to a guaranteed 1Gbps which is not cheap at all (300 EUR without VAT).

• LeviLevi Member

Typically RTO companies allow this. Standard rental dedicated servers avoid this due to problems with compatibility, replacements etc.

• ObelousObelous Member
    edited May 2023

Also an option https://zfs.rent (bandwidth limits/pricing isnt that great though)