Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a HK-based VPS for Minecraft
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a HK-based VPS for Minecraft

edited May 2023 in Requests

Hey all.

TL;DR: Any recommendations for an HK VPS provider that can run Minecraft Forge well?

• At least 2 high-performance cores (Ryzen probably)
  • 8 GB of RAM
  • Enough SSD storage to store Minecraft Forge and some mods (25GB would probably be fine)
  • Must be in Hong Kong

I've been with ExtraVM's Singapore Minecraft Hosting service and while the service (and Mike) was great, Philippine ISPs are having high latencies to Singapore, which is a shocker to both me and ExtraVM, but it is what it is.

I moved to HostHatch's Hong Kong location and latency is great, but I've had a couple of problems:

• Announced a maintenance schedule at 3 PM GMT +8, servers were down by 1 PM GMT +8 to my surprise (and some others who wanted to play)
  • IPv6 randomly stopped working so it took down login features while I was asleep so players couldn't log in until I saw their messages
  • Sometimes the server lags even if I have a single dedicated CPU + 3 CPUs for bursting

Reached out to support about the first issue but didn't receive a reply for over 17 hours before I ultimately just closed it out of being pissed off (ticket #111585 if they're reading this), second issue was enough to make me look for other options.

I'm paying $12/mo for their NVMe 12GB package, but I could go up to $30 for something decent, doesn't lag and has good latencies to Philippine ISPs (PLDT, Converge and Globe mainly).

I could probably look at Singapore as an option if the provider has great connectivity to the ISPs mentioned above (ExtraVM used RackCentral which didn't work out connectivity-wise, but outside of them and Contabo which sucked even more, I have no other experiences so I'm open to it).

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2023

It sucks, because most networks I tested from have high latency to PLDT. I guess taking longer routes to avoid packet loss? Right now RackCentral/Ransom has lower latency than some other networks in Singapore I've tested, even CDN77 (who I use for VPS there now.) Probably not any "great" options since routing will change eventually... Dunno how things are to Converge/Globe now. HostHatch has the best deals in the region, 100%.

Thanked by 1definitelyliam
  • edited May 2023

@MikeA said:
    It sucks, because most networks I tested from have high latency to PLDT. I guess taking longer routes to avoid packet loss? Right now RackCentral/Ransom has lower latency than some other networks in Singapore I've tested, even CDN77 (who I use for VPS there now.) Probably not any "great" options since routing will change eventually... Dunno how things are to Converge/Globe now. HostHatch has the best deals in the region, 100%.

I 100% believe it's on PLDT, and it sucks that there are only 3 major players in here and not all of them can install Fiber-to-the-home everywhere, so options are even more limited.

Even in the days of Nexusbytes (who I believe also used RackCentral), I've had speed and latency issues. Contabo has low ping, but CPU steal times are absolutely horrible for Minecraft. I remember OVH being slightly better but not by a huge margin.

At this point I'm inclined to just host the server at home and force everyone to set up a VPN to bypass the NAT restrictions (something with NAT Traversal like Netmaker or Tailscale) of a residential fiber plan, but that would require me having to manually guide non-technical users how to set it up on their end, which is a task I'd rather not waste time on.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@definitelyliam said:

• Announced a maintenance schedule at 3 PM GMT +8, servers were down by 1 PM GMT +8 to my surprise (and some others who wanted to play)
    • IPv6 randomly stopped working so it took down login features while I was asleep so players couldn't log in until I saw their messages
    • Sometimes the server lags even if I have a single dedicated CPU + 3 CPUs for bursting

Maybe I/O because someone is swapping hard or running a benchmark.
    Its still a virtual private server, you still share the single host.

You can ask them to migrate you to another host, sometimes this works magic.
    Sometimes you are unlucky or they prob. should apply at least some high tier I/O limits to avoid this.

@definitelyliam said:

@MikeA said:

I 100% believe it's on PLDT, and it sucks that there are only 3 major players in here and not all of them can install Fiber-to-the-home everywhere, so options are even more limited.

Try to get a server as close as possible to you, even if it comes at cost.
    I did the same, in this one use case, since I had no other option.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited May 2023

One option is to do the ol' two hop method. Find a VPS with lower specs in SGP that meets your latency requirements and run your BungeeCord instance there, with the backend instances being your actual servers at ExtraVM or something like that.

If you're looking for good latency, I think AWS Lightsail SGP has pretty good connectivity around SEA. It's only $3.5 too :)

• @ehhthing said:
    One option is to do the ol' two hop method. Find a VPS with lower specs in SGP that meets your latency requirements and run your BungeeCord instance there, with the backend instances being your actual servers at ExtraVM or something like that.

If you're looking for good latency, I think AWS Lightsail SGP has pretty good connectivity around SEA. It's only $3.5 too :)

This is an interesting approach! Something to explore over the weekend, thanks!

As for Lightsail, the only package that fits the budget is the $20/mo one with 2 vCPUs and 4 GB of RAM. I'll set one up and ask a few friends to test it out, although I am concerned about the limited resources. I'd rather have room to spare than cram it all in.

The BungeeCord idea sounds good though, thanks for that. :)

• MrRetslavMrRetslav Member, Host Rep

@definitelyliam said: As for Lightsail, the only package that fits the budget is the $20/mo one with 2 vCPUs and 4 GB of RAM. I'll set one up and ask a few friends to test it out, although I am concerned about the limited resources. I'd rather have room to spare than cram it all in.

I would suggest using a gameserver, then you don't have any resource losses etc.
    And is much much cheaper.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Hi @definitelyliam

We can provide this:

2 vCPU Ryzen 3900X
    8 GB DDR4 RAM
    25 GB SSD
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6

@ 12 GBP/month

LG: https://sg.lg.kuroit.com/

Note: I don't know about PLDT but with Converge we have ping between 30-70ms.

If interested, DM me to order

• redmayaredmaya Member
    edited May 2023

@definitelyliam

Hello! I am also a Filipino. I would like to suggest that you consider Tokyo as an alternative location for your Minecraft server. It has a latency of less than 100 milliseconds for players in Metro Manila or the NCR Region.

I also host my Minecraft server on HostHatch, but it is only for personal use with a few friends.

If you need a beefier setup, I have used these companies in the past. They have locations in Singapore. If you have any questions, you can file a ticket with them. They are usually very helpful and responsive.

Bloom Host (Minecraft & VPS)
    https://bloom.host/minecraft/
    https://bloom.host/vps/

EU Game Host (Singapore VDS Hosting)
    https://www.eugamehost.com/singapore-vps

• @ManishPant said:
    Hi @definitelyliam

We can provide this:

2 vCPU Ryzen 3900X
    8 GB DDR4 RAM
    25 GB SSD
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6

@ 12 GBP/month

LG: https://sg.lg.kuroit.com/

Note: I don't know about PLDT but with Converge we have ping between 30-70ms.

If interested, DM me to order

PLDT

PING sg.lg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2): icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=45.1 ms
    64 bytes from 2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2): icmp_seq=2 ttl=52 time=47.8 ms
    64 bytes from 2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2): icmp_seq=3 ttl=52 time=45.0 ms

traceroute to sg.lg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2), 20 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  0.649 ms  0.460 ms
     2  112.205.96.1.pldt.net (112.205.96.1)  6.507 ms  6.584 ms
     3  122.2.206.34.static.pldt.net (122.2.206.34)  3.698 ms  3.841 ms
     4  210.213.130.64.static.pldt.net (210.213.130.64)  30.687 ms  30.665 ms
     5  210.213.130.65.static.pldt.net (210.213.130.65)  31.325 ms  31.516 ms
     6  core.sg3.sg.hostuniversal.com.au (103.216.222.17)  45.157 ms  45.341 ms
     7  core.rc.sg.hostuniversal.com.au (103.216.222.16)  45.103 ms  45.082 ms
     8  2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2)  46.011 ms  45.952 ms

@jcolideles said:

PLDT

PING sg.lg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2): icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=45.1 ms
    64 bytes from 2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2): icmp_seq=2 ttl=52 time=47.8 ms
    64 bytes from 2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2): icmp_seq=3 ttl=52 time=45.0 ms

Thanks .

And this is with Converge

• traceroute to sg.lg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2), 20 hops max, 60 byte packets
     1  192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)  0.649 ms  0.460 ms
     2  112.205.96.1.pldt.net (112.205.96.1)  6.507 ms  6.584 ms
     3  122.2.206.34.static.pldt.net (122.2.206.34)  3.698 ms  3.841 ms
     4  210.213.130.64.static.pldt.net (210.213.130.64)  30.687 ms  30.665 ms
     5  210.213.130.65.static.pldt.net (210.213.130.65)  31.325 ms  31.516 ms
     6  core.sg3.sg.hostuniversal.com.au (103.216.222.17)  45.157 ms  45.341 ms
     7  core.rc.sg.hostuniversal.com.au (103.216.222.16)  45.103 ms  45.082 ms
     8  2.101.27.23.sg.kuroit.com (23.27.101.2)  46.011 ms  45.952 ms

@ManishPant looks like this is RackCentral too, if I'm not mistaken. Surprisingly the ping is better than what it used to be, may be worth looking into. Will let other players test the LG first, but it looks promising.

2 vCPU Ryzen 3900X
    8 GB DDR4 RAM
    25 GB SSD
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6

@ 12 GBP/month

What's the CPU policy on this? Enough to run Minecraft Forge without steal time or something? Not expecting something dedicated for the price point, just hoping for lag that while noticeable, won't be as impactful (I'm only running a few mods so it's as good as vanilla), and I'm afraid of being suspended if ever things go on the burst-ier side.

@redmaya said:
    @definitelyliam

Hello! I am also a Filipino. I would like to suggest that you consider Tokyo as an alternative location for your Minecraft server. It has a latency of less than 100 milliseconds for players in Metro Manila or the NCR Region.

I also host my Minecraft server on HostHatch, but it is only for personal use with a few friends.

If you need a beefier setup, I have used these companies in the past. They have locations in Singapore. If you have any questions, you can file a ticket with them. They are usually very helpful and responsive.

Bloom Host (Minecraft & VPS)
    https://bloom.host/minecraft/
    https://bloom.host/vps/

EU Game Host (Singapore VDS Hosting)
    https://www.eugamehost.com/singapore-vps

Not a fan of having things run on shared stuff as I like managing stuff on my own, but will take a look as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

• TekoTeko Member

@Nube Hong Kong based provider.

@definitelyliam said:

@ManishPant looks like this is RackCentral too, if I'm not mistaken. Surprisingly the ping is better than what it used to be, may be worth looking into. Will let other players test the LG first, but it looks promising.

>
    Yes its RackCentral.

What's the CPU policy on this? Enough to run Minecraft Forge without steal time or something? Not expecting something dedicated for the price point, just hoping for lag that while noticeable, won't be as impactful (I'm only running a few mods so it's as good as vanilla), and I'm afraid of being suspended if ever things go on the burst-ier side.

We don't have any strict CPU policy but I hope you won't be abusing it too, Its fine if you're not using 80% for days. Bursting for awhile is all good.

• redmayaredmaya Member
    edited May 2023

@definitelyliam

Not a fan of having things run on shared stuff as I like managing stuff on my own, but will take a look as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

They also have dedicated VPS options if you want to manage things yourself. I hope it fits your budget :)

edited May 2023

@definitelyliam said: Not a fan of having things run on shared stuff as I like managing stuff on my own, but will take a look as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

We can offer you a Dedi Gameserver but is not Hong Kong as you have requested.
    It is hosted in the Netherlands.

Test IP for ping Latency: 45.141.200.251

For €3.99 ( for 1 Dedi Core & 2GB Ram & 8GB SSD & 2.5 Tbps anti DDos )
    For €6.99 ( for 2 Dedi Cores & 4GB Ram & 16GB SSD & 2.5 Tbps anti DDos )
    For €9.99 ( for 3 Dedi Cores & 6GB Ram & 32GB SSD & 2.5 Tbps anti DDos )
    For €12.99 ( for 4 Dedi Cores & 8GB Ram & 64GB SSD & 2.5 Tbps anti DDos )

Custom/Private panel on request.

Shoot a PM if interested.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2023

@MrRetslav said: It is hosted in the Netherlands.

I don't think Philippines will have a low ping latency to NL.

Well over 150ms. https://www.jsdelivr.com/globalping?measurement=gHhLAl2jrkDvk6Dn

edited May 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@MrRetslav said: It is hosted in the Netherlands.

I don't think Philippines will have a low ping latency to NL.

Yeah after I rethought that you are completely right 🤣

• I'm running the AS9299 probe onn Globalping and 225ms is definitely not the way to go lol

I am jealous of Converge users who get lower ping even if it's a slight difference though.