Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Opinions for Xeon vs Ryzen (Threads Performances)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your Opinions for Xeon vs Ryzen (Threads Performances)

Hi Folks!

Kindly need your 2 cents about server performance comparison

Xeon with 40 threads vs Ryzen with 24 threads

If I slice it into 8 VPSes with maximum threads based on server specs using virtualizor,

(Xeon: 100% of 5 threads for each VPSes)
(Ryzen: 100% of 3 threads for each VPSes)

Does the Ryzen will do same performance or even better than the Xeon?
Or it still depends on thread numbers?

I'm an amateur and on my way to learn about virtualization.
Sorry for my bad English, hope you guys understand my intention.

Thank you for your time.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax

Comments

• rober7rober7 Member

Depends on the workload of every VPS.
    What types of processors are you talking about?

• What type of processors?

• @rober7 said:
    What types of processors are you talking about?

Workloads of every VPS will be same since I use it for my personal chrome project that requires intensive CPU usage for 1-2 hours.

Around Xeon E5-2640v4 and Ryzen 3900 series

• @febryanvaldo said:
    What type of processors?

Around Xeon E5-2640v4 and Ryzen 3900 series

• ralfralf Member
    edited May 2023

@Patriarch said:

@rober7 said:

Workloads of every VPS will be same since I use it for my personal chrome project that requires intensive CPU usage for 1-2 hours.

If these things are mostly idle and just burst to high usage for 1-2 hours and then have several hours of idle AND if they're idle at different times, you might find it best to just give each VPS a mix of dedicated and a shared vCPU.

This might actually work best on the Xeon, where you have 20 cores / 40 threads - give each VPS dedicated 1 core / 2 threads (but bound to that same 1 core). You'll then have 12 cores / 24 threads left over, and you could allocate between 4-11 vCPU to each VPS from the shared pool that is left over. At 2 dedicated threads on 1 core, and 11 shared vCPU per VPS, there's a good chance that all the shared vCPU end up on their own core when everything else is idle.

It's a bit harder on the AMD as you have fewer cores, but I'd still be tempted to do 1 core / 2 threads dedicated to each VPS (again, bound to the same 1 core) and then put the remaining 4 cores / 8 threads into the shared pool.

The idea for this is that worst case, if every VPS is loaded at the same time, they'll always have a core dedicated to themselves that can't be stolen, and they'll timeslice the other cores, but maybe not especially fairly, but at least with your dedicated cores they'll still make good progress. Reducing the number of shared vCPU each VPS uses reduces this worse case pressure, which is good if latency is important in case something important ended up on the shared vCPU.

But best case, if only one or two VPS is loaded, they'll still get to use most of the CPU. In this case, you want to increase the number of shared vCPU each VPS uses.

Also note that if you just divided it up directly and made it all dedicated, there would still be some competition between the VPS, as they'd end up with an odd number of vCPU each, and so pairs of VPS would share a core.

Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • @ralf said:

@Patriarch said:

@rober7 said:

If these things are mostly idle and just burst to high usage for 1-2 hours and then have several hours of idle AND if they're idle at different times, you might find it best to just give each VPS a mix of dedicated and a shared vCPU.

This might actually work best on the Xeon, where you have 20 cores / 40 threads - give each VPS dedicated 1 core / 2 threads (but bound to that same 1 core). You'll then have 12 cores / 24 threads left over, and you could allocate between 4-11 vCPU to each VPS from the shared pool that is left over. At 2 dedicated threads on 1 core, and 11 shared vCPU per VPS, there's a good chance that all the shared vCPU end up on their own core when everything else is idle.

It's a bit harder on the AMD as you have fewer cores, but I'd still be tempted to do 1 core / 2 threads dedicated to each VPS (again, bound to the same 1 core) and then put the remaining 4 cores / 8 threads into the shared pool.

The idea for this is that worst case, if every VPS is loaded at the same time, they'll always have a core dedicated to themselves that can't be stolen, and they'll timeslice the other cores, but maybe not especially fairly, but at least with your dedicated cores they'll still make good progress. Reducing the number of shared vCPU each VPS uses reduces this worse case pressure, which is good if latency is important in case something important ended up on the shared vCPU.

But best case, if only one or two VPS is loaded, they'll still get to use most of the CPU. In this case, you want to increase the number of shared vCPU each VPS uses.

Also note that if you just divided it up directly and made it all dedicated, there would still be some competition between the VPS, as they'd end up with an odd number of vCPU each, and so pairs of VPS would share a core.

Doesn't it will automatically dedicated when we set 100% of a thread?
    Or it still needs to assign manually rather than leave it on CPU affinity?

8 VPSes will have an intensive CPU for 1-2 hours at the same time.
    No idling, but it'll going low after the intensive usage has been passed.

• ZreindZreind Member

i think, if you're doing something that depends on single core performance, you shouldn't even consider xeon. ryzen has massive single thread performance if we compare it to regular xeon cpu

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/amd-ryzen-9-3900
    https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/intel-xeon-e5-2640-v4

Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • ralfralf Member

@Patriarch said:

If they're all active at the same time, then dedicated and setting assigning specific cores to each probably makes sense so the host doesn't decide to shuffle them around.

Agree with @Zreind that if you want single core performance, AMD is much better, but if your workload is threaded you might get some better deals on Xeon.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

Ryzen 9/10 times.

• rober7rober7 Member

Go with Ryzen, amd core are more powerful.
    If you take a look at the benchmarks 1 amd core has almost twice the power of a xeon.
    Does higher frequency help in your workload more than more cores?

BTW ... Intel Xeon E5-2640 v4 has 10 core/20 threats, Ryzen 12 core/24 threats.

Ryzen is the winner ... more cores and higher frequency

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited May 2023

@Patriarch said: Around Xeon E5-2640v4 and Ryzen 3900 series

even a E5-2690 v4 is no comparison with Ryzen 3900 series, at least you need something beefier that that, like Xeon Gold (Skylake based).

Ryzen is way ahead for single core performance (look Single Thread Rating), compared with Xeon.

Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • @rober7 said:
    Go with Ryzen, amd core are more powerful.
    If you take a look at the benchmarks 1 amd core has almost twice the power of a xeon.
    Does higher frequency help in your workload more than more cores?

BTW ... Intel Xeon E5-2640 v4 has 10 core/20 threats, Ryzen 12 core/24 threats.

Ryzen is the winner ... more cores and higher frequency

It's Dual CPU on Xeon, thats why I said 40 threads.

• PatriarchPatriarch Member
    edited May 2023

@ralf said:

@Patriarch said:

If they're all active at the same time, then dedicated and setting assigning specific cores to each probably makes sense so the host doesn't decide to shuffle them around.

Agree with @Zreind that if you want single core performance, AMD is much better, but if your workload is threaded you might get some better deals on Xeon.

If I slice the server into 8 VPSes with Xeon and Ryzen specs, then each VPS will get (CMIIW):

Xeon: 5 threads/vCores (4 threads assign on 2 dedicated cores + 1 shared thread)
    Ryzen: 3 threads/vCores (2 threads assign on 1 dedicated cores + 1 shared thread)

Does the Ryzen still give better performance than Xeon?

Anyway how to assign the specs above on Proxmox/Virtualizor? :neutral:

• The advantage of Ryzen is overwhelming. That being said, the advantage of Xeon is that you may be able to obtain some used server hardware at a low price. If you can't get your hands on that, then Ryzen is the best choice.

Thanked by 1Patriarch