Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As a VPS consumer, do you really care about CPU brand (Intel/AMD)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

As a VPS consumer, do you really care about CPU brand (Intel/AMD)?

MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
edited May 2023 in General

We originally chose AMD because it seemed to be the hot new thing and that the market was preferring it, but I'm wondering if that is really the case at all.

Now that we're moving towards owned gear, I'm pricing out builds and hardware for our new Kansas City location (Coming Soon), I'm left wondering if it's worth trying to go all AMD Ryzen or Epyc as we currently are.

Does anyone actually specifically go out of their way to find one or the other? Assuming clock speed and your fair-share access to a CPU was more-or-less equivalent, do you really care?

Thanked by 2maverick chakraxzz
POLL
  1. Do you go out of your way to search for an Intel CPU? Or an AMD CPU?192 votes
    1. I go out of my way looking for a Intel CPU.
        3.65%
    2. I go out of my way looking for an AMD CPU.
      37.50%
    3. I literally don't care at all.
      58.85%

Comments

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2023

I really like AMD EPYC, but If I want to use it for game servers, then I'll choose ryzen.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My apps can run on either CPU brand.
    However, the provider must not auto-migrate my service to a different CPU model.
    I may have compiled the apps with -march=native flag, so that migration would cause illegal instruction error.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • NanjaNanja Member

In Kansas City, most providers here have dirt cheap prices. The problem is that it's mostly all old hardware.

If you go with decent CPU regardless of intel or AMD at low cost in this area. I will try be your first customer, since I am next door.

Hopefully you will be doing dedicated servers here? If only VPS that's fine, it makes sense.

• Many may not express concern simply because they are unaware of how it can substantially impact performance. Certain applications function more efficiently on Intel, while others excel on AMD.

• ralfralf Member

I think I don't care too much, but "Intel" usually means "probably some 13-year old Xeon we still have knocking around" and "AMD" usually means "just released super fast processor". So from that perspective, I'd usually go AMD because you know it's going to be decent.

That said, Hostcram's i9 offerings were great - and single core speed was better than AMD, so if that's important to you, then top Intel chips are the better choice. I would start to worry now that Intel have a mix of efficiency and performance cores though, because on a VPS you'd never really know what you're getting. So again, I'd probably default to AMD.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

For what it's worth, I'm leaning more towards AMD simply because I like to keep things consistent.

But as a student of the Joe Dirt school of business, I must remember his wise words:

• @MannDude said: We originally chose AMD because it seemed to be the hot new thing and that the market was preferring it, but I'm wondering if that is really the case at all.

No. Let me explain ryzen thing.
    I'm not a fun of amd. But their strategy & amount of work that they did since 2015-2016 - amazing. And because of right path of development they get what they deserve.

In short: they made great research, work, fixes for many cores, many threads. Plus whole IT world reach maximum performance per core and business & clients wants more cores. I.e. 2 key factors at the same time: people need many cores, ryzen all in into many cores + did care about improving performance.

In result we have very good competition between intel & amd. Resulting in acceptable price and great performance. Win2win for everyone.

Thats why i will recommend amd. I do not really care about the performance. I care about competition. I think monopoly = very bad thing.

Thanked by 2woteti Plioser
  • Not much but migrating a VM from Intel to AMD or vice-versa can cause issues. This happened with another well reputed provider here after auto-migrating from Intel to AMD.

Nested KVM won't start as it was failing on trying to load the previously installed kvm_intel kernel module on an AMD system.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • i set values to highest yabs (gb6: 2200+) values for my idlers!

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2023

I would prefer AMD since I know they generally have more cores and threads, making me imagine that I get more individual usage/resources in shared node than I would with Intel.

Clock speed is also irrelevant for most hosting in modern CPU's as long as its over 3Ghz so AMD EPYC is definitely my choice for hosting even though I like Intel for personal machine.

I decide based on passmark usually.

• febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited May 2023

@hyperblast said: i set values to highest yabs (gb6: 2200+) values for my idlers!

Holy... Only Ryzen 5000 series or Intel Core 12th series could hit this number :D

• KousakaKousaka Member

I don't even care if it is amd64 or arm64 since all my online services can be compiled to run on (almost) every modern platform. Price/performance ratio is what matters to me.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • What major differences do both intel and amd processors have? Generally, what are the hidden things to note?

• zhizhi Member
    edited May 2023

Geekbench

AMD CPU 1200
    Intel CPU 800

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@zhi said:
    Geekbench

Intel CPU 800
    AMD CPU 1200

AMD on top :)

Thanked by 1zhi
  • ooowwwwooowwww Member

Most of the time Amd's consumer(ryzen)/enterprise(epyc) grade hardware could outmatched its peer intel products comfortably in both single/multi-core competition.Not to mention intel has screwed so much that they just managed to release their new generation of Sapphire Rapids , so most of the intel vps are powered by old gen xeon cpu that can only competes with gen1 epyc

• ooowwwwooowwww Member

@febryanvaldo said:

@hyperblast said: i set values to highest yabs (gb6: 2200+) values for my idlers!

Holy... Only Ryzen 5000 series or Intel Core 12th series could hit this number :D

Most likely 7950XD or 13900 , I think ryzen 5000 or core 12th won't reach that high

• Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited May 2023

Whisker biscuits, crap flappers, nipsy daisers with the scooter stick and AMD. All day.

Either way, another provider in KC is a big win, especially a provider like yourself. I don't understand why there aren't more providers in KC (given it's geographic location) and like someone else said, the providers that do exist are all offering up old hardware. (excluding Terrahost)

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Don_Keedic said:
    Whisker biscuits, crap flappers, nipsy daisers with the scooter stick and AMD. All day.

Either way, another provider in KC is a big win, especially a provider like yourself. I don't understand why there aren't more providers in KC (given it's geographic location) and like someone else said, the providers that do exist are all offering up old hardware. (excluding Terrahost)

Thanks.

It's a great location with great network options.

We'll be peering with Cosmic Guard for some incredible DDoS mitigation capability as well which is something that will have us stand out from the rest there.

• the higher the yabs the better! and the price must of course be very favorable!

• most of my keepers are AMD.

the only Intel i have long term is a V4 xeon.

anything less than DDR4 RAM are let go.

• I don't do a lot of number crunching, so I honestly don't care which brand of CPU my application runs on.

Do people actually notice a significant performance difference between Intel and AMD for their specific applications?

• DonkeyDonkey Member

AMD

• somiksomik Member

I have 1 AMD virtualization node and 1 Intel virtualization node. So honestly, I do not care as long as they have enough cores to support multiple VMs.

Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

either, as long as the price is right for the performance

• I don't care Intel/AMD, just steal to be as low as possible.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2023

I missed an option "preferring AMD but accepting (decent) intel CPU too" because the two extremes both are not how I see it.

AMD processors have somewhat less security problems, offer more cores, which highly likely is the criterion for VPS hosting, and are cheaper, so I prefer them. But I also accept intel v4 (or newer) based systems.

Side note: While when benchmarking I obviously go for speed, the more the better, as a normal user I don't care that much for performance. Intel v4++ is damn good enough. I do go for memory though, both as in "fast" (not crappy slow) and as in "the more the better". Simple reason: the significance of memory for performance is much underrated while the significance of CPU often is somewhat overrated.

TL;DR I'll take an "old" Xeon v4 (or better) with say 4GB memory VPS over a Ryzen x000 and 1 GB memory every day for most of my VPS.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • HarmonyHarmony Member

AMD EPYC price is going down quick, there is a huge supply on Ebay if you dig around you can get a good server for $2-2.2k

EPYC 7702 64 core
    512GB RAM
    2x1.92 TB NVMe SSD

Customers will be happy and your investment will pay off with performance to power ratio hundreds of VMs only using 350W power.

• @MannDude said:
    We originally chose AMD because it seemed to be the hot new thing and that the market was preferring it, but I'm wondering if that is really the case at all.

Now that we're moving towards owned gear, I'm pricing out builds and hardware for our new Kansas City location (Coming Soon), I'm left wondering if it's worth trying to go all AMD Ryzen or Epyc as we currently are.

Does anyone actually specifically go out of their way to find one or the other? Assuming clock speed and your fair-share access to a CPU was more-or-less equivalent, do you really care?

Depends if you're going with Epyc/Xeon or Ryzen/Intel Core series. Not a huge difference between Epyc and Xeon for end users, but when it comes to Ryzen compared to a core i9 for example, the Ryzen platform's "support" for ECC makes me prefer it a little more than the entirely consumer grade Intel parts.

• edited May 2023

AMD usually mean good price/performace also newer hardware.

For Intel, I dont even know what is the latest Xeon model is. Probably assuming some old hardware.

However, I believe old school people/ who never use AMD before (probably alot of people) prefer Intel for stability, they dont trust AMD.

It depends on the market. Less tech-savvy, general mass market, some Intel hardware probaly good. Niche maket/Let user/Bencher probaly prefer AMD.