Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanna start hosting company from small scale.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanna start hosting company from small scale.

Hello,

I'm India based and wanna start a small scale hosting company, should I start with reseller? If yes, then any good ones for suggestions?

Comments

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

What type of hosting?

• Shared web hosting
    • VPS hosting
    • Dedicated hosting
  • BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

What's your budget?

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Summer is coming

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Start as reseller,
    Buyshared reseller plans are cheap

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

I will add my few cents here, as I've tried that, and on a slightly bigger scale.

1. Don't is my best advice; why? Because I started with a whole dedicated server and barely any revenue, not even close to the amount needed to sustain the dedicated server that I had. The fact is the market is already pretty oversaturated. With stuff like shared hosting, you will be completely fucked, because people, when choosing providers, will either choose the one with the best features (the usual, which will be a big firm that already has over 20+ support agents). These people usually don't even care about the price. Or you will have people looking for good deals, which you can't get, as then they can take your upstream offer and be done. With VPS, it will also be hard as it's hard to find good dedicated server providers, and here is a good explanation of why: https://fastgood.cheap/
    2. Do you add value (like WordPress creation of websites)? With this, you may have some chance to compete in the market if you find a good enough market sector. Now choosing the good part of the market is the most important thing. If you go into something already saturated (like server management), you have very low chances of competing.
  • emghemgh Member

The only way to have a really sweet profit margin through hosting is through contacts

• @BasToTheMax said:
    What type of hosting?

• Shared web hosting
    • VPS hosting
    • Dedicated hosting

wanna start with shared.

@mustafamw3 said:
    Start as reseller,
    Buyshared reseller plans are cheap

I'll check them out

@skorupion said: Do you add value (like WordPress creation of websites)? With this, you may have some chance to compete in the market if you find a good enough market sector. Now choosing the good part of the market is the most important thing. If you go into something already saturated (like server management), you have very low chances of competing.

Yes, I'll maybe go a niche hosting, ex. optimised for WordPress, optimised for Laravel. Stuff like that

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • BoltFlareBoltFlare Member, Host Rep

For Shared hosting, if you want everything under your control.

A VPS from Hetzner
    WHMCS license
    Plesk License

These three things and you are ready to go.
    Otherwise BuyShared reseller @Francisco, along with free blesta license.

• @BasToTheMax said:
    What type of hosting?

• Shared web hosting
    • VPS hosting
    • Dedicated hosting
    • Summer hosting

Fixed that.

• vovlervovler Member

Summer is near.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@skorupion said: The fact is the market is already pretty oversaturated

Pretty? Extremely. Maybe "completely" is the best word.

@skorupion said: Do you add value

This is the question the OP needs to answer.

@DigiGoon why should someone buy from you instead of from someone else? If your answer is "good service" or "cheap prices" you will not be successful because there are thousands of competitors who can say the same.

What are you offering that is unique and desired in the marketplace?

• @raindog308 said:
    @DigiGoon why should someone buy from you instead of from someone else? If your answer is "good service" or "cheap prices" you will not be successful because there are thousands of competitors who can say the same.

So in order to succeed, simply buying a reseller pehn and slapping it behind a good designed website won't work. Well, tbh I'll need to find that answer, as I'm new in this business I'll have to do market research, find out where missing, and provide that through my services.

if you guys have any suggestions please do let me know.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@DigiGoon said:

@raindog308 said:

So in order to succeed, simply buying a reseller pehn and slapping it behind a good designed website won't work. Well, tbh I'll need to find that answer, as I'm new in this business I'll have to do market research, find out where missing, and provide that through my services.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

But seriously, there are offers here that sell lifetime hosting for €15 or sometimes even less. Let that sink in. €15 for a lifetime. Do you think you are able to run a business on that? Very few people are.
    The margins in this industry is simply non-existing, so forget competing with price.

Compete with good service? Well, everyone claims they have the best service and most friendly support. True, most of them are lying, but they still claim it.
    And really good service is expensive. You can forget competing in the low end if you aim to provide good service. You cant do it alone, and hiring good people costs money.

Stability and performance? A lot of low end providers are actually just reseller of the big players, so the infrastructure is often as good as it gets. I have vps's that haven't had a second of downtime for many many years and they are connected to some of the best backbones in the world, and I still pay only a few euros a month for them.

I don't mean to discourage you, I'm just letting you know that it is a very saturated market. If you can find a niche, a way to stand out, go for it! I wish you the best of luck! But if you just try to copy what everyone else is doing, you will most likely fail.

• Happy Summer 2023

• First you have to think about what advantages you have over RackNerd. If not, then why don't buyers just buy RackNerd's products? RN is now somewhat similar to the Coca-Cola of the beverage world that uses a low enough price to keep new competitors out.

• Consider targeting Chinese users if you will, it's a huge market and it even feeds VirMach.

There are very few providers offering optimized routes to China, and they are all very expensive, so if you can make a breakthrough here, you will earn at least $500,000 per year.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

Ignore that thought. Learn a skill, sell a service.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @SirFoxy said:

For sure. Learn to make websites. Sign on companies to make their website for $1k and then host it for $19.99/mo. Lots of people have nice careers this way.

• emghemgh Member

@TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

For sure. Learn to make websites. Sign on companies to make their website for $1k and then host it for $19.99/mo. Lots of people have nice careers this way.

Some companies are designing websites for $0

Selling a complete ”we fix what you want changed” + hosting + email for $99 a month once the client is happy with the website

Saw one agency like this in Sweden

They seem to be growing FAST

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rcy026 said: If it was easy, everyone would do it.

This was so well said that I quoted it on LEB

• @TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

Yes, was thinking about the same. Can already create website, will just throw in hosting with the package.

• Also, why these resellers, for ex. RackNerd provide only 40GB or similar low disk space for basic plans? And provide 60 cPanel accounts? Isn't it too less for 60 accounts in 40GB?

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

@DigiGoon said:
    Also, why these resellers, for ex. RackNerd provide only 40GB or similar low disk space for basic plans? And provide 60 cPanel accounts? Isn't it too less for 60 accounts in 40GB?

Because most single Wordpress sites use only 200-300 MB on average.

• @TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

The market for website development is pretty saturated too, especially now that there's DIY sites that let you do it for $0 even if it looks like shit. Or when you can pay a guy on Fiverr to do it for $50 with hosting included. It'll still be shit, but most small businesses looking for a website don't care that much.

If you have the skills to run a web hosting service I think you're better off getting a developer job at a company. You'll probably earn more and most importantly, you have a higher chance of keeping your sanity.

Thanked by 1DigiGoon
  • @moontakane said:

@TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

The market for website development is pretty saturated too, especially now that there's DIY sites that let you do it for $0 even if it looks like shit. Or when you can pay a guy on Fiverr to do it for $50 with hosting included. It'll still be shit, but most small businesses looking for a website don't care that much.

If you have the skills to run a web hosting service I think you're better off getting a developer job at a company. You'll probably earn more and most importantly, you have a higher chance of keeping your sanity.

I already have a job, it'll be just a hobby or a side business, as I wanna explore this hosting business.

• emghemgh Member

You’re doing it the wrong way.

Unique idea > Check the idea with a few friends > Damn it really is something > Start a venture

You’re here comparing reseller deals hoping to find the most bang for the buck, and are yet to find your unique angle.

I’d love for you to suceed but you’re sadly already on the wrong path.

Thanked by 2seenu khalequzzaman
  • @DigiGoon said:

@raindog308 said:

@emgh that's what I meant here, I'm not comparing reseller plans. Nope.

• Selling a complete ”we fix what you want changed” + hosting + email for $99 a month once the client is happy with the website

Saw one agency like this in Sweden

They seem to be growing FAST

Do you know the name / url of that company?
    Thanks

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@TimboJones said:

@SirFoxy said:

Yeah, the reoccurring aspect imo should just be used to increase the clv.

If you can profit on your front end service AND profit say $10 per month for as long as they host with you on top of the later services you could add like management? That’s enough money to actually pay your rent, let alone steam games.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@raindog308 said:

@rcy026 said: If it was easy, everyone would do it.

This was so well said that I quoted it on LEB

Cool, do I get bilohbucks now? :smile: