Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage space.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage space.

Anyone here use any type of cloud storage or anything of the sort?

I want to start making backups of my computer and storing them somewhere.

Let me know of your experiences and price ranges.

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@ItsAsylum said:
    Anyone here use any type of cloud storage or anything of the sort?

Many.... all types of.

I want to start making backups of my computer and storing them somewhere.

Brilliant idea...

Let me know of your experiences and price ranges.

>
    I installed and am using proxmox backup server now on @crunchbits big storage vps and it works great!

• tenjitenji Member

How much space do you need ?
    my experience (good so far) :
    s3 object storage on scaleway give you free 75GB

Thanked by 1scooke
  • Duplicati (free software) + online storage (S3 compatible or WebDAV) like iDrive e2 ($4 for the first year, for 1TB)

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

We celebrate the World Backup Day with our new RAID-6 protected location in USA, Utah, Ogden:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    We can offer you 30% discount on monthly orders or 50% on annual orders. Contact us for details.

• I was looking at backblaze. Anyone have any experience with that?

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

KVM LINUX STORAGE VPS - DETAILS
    1TB SAS RAID-6 Disk Space ($5/TB Added...up to 25TB!)
    1GB RAM
    5TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Uplink
    1 CPU Thread
    1 IPv4 Address ($1/Per Additional IPV4)
    1 IPv6 Address (Free Additonal IPv6 upon request, up to /64)
    SolusVM Control Panel
    Fully Customizable Resources
    CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian, AlmaLinux, Fedora, & more...or ISO install.
    ORDER NOW - Starting at $6.95/monthly

~ SMARTHOST

• chipchip Member

@ItsAsylum said:
    I was looking at backblaze. Anyone have any experience with that?

Yes I found it "ok" sometimes uploads/downloads where extremely slow ... others they where exceptional .... however what did it for me was the Egress fee... it cost me like $9 to download 600 gig to move somewhere else... plus the storage fees

I'm using borgbase for backing up linux servers and idrive e2 as it's really really cheap (even at normal pricing its cheaper than the likes of wasabi)

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2023

@ItsAsylum said:

have used when they were rather new. Very easy to use, one flat fee etc.
    But ultimately, when i needed the backups they had lost them.

They'd never admit this, and claimed the data is there, but for some reason after weeks of trying i could not get it out and always ended up in error.

So i guess they had some HDD failures, and at that time at least they did not want to admit they too have failing HDDs, just like everyone else.
    Never looked back again that.

What irks me is that they could not just admit data is gone and kept showing it available when it was not. Everyone has HDD Failures, and the bulk they have, i would be very surprised if they did not have a few data loss scenarios. I just happened to be one.

I am certain i am in the 99.9th percentile special case, and very far from regular.
    Recoveries are a bit slow regardless with them, but it's quite nice and easy to use. Just make sure some important piece of data is not filtered out (large file cap, VM images etc.).

• try Storj bro, free 250GB, decentralized, secured and fcking fast download speed.

• www.storj.io

• Restic + AWS S3 for me

• @kuticon said:
    try Storj bro, free 250GB, decentralized, secured and fcking fast download speed.

Looks like they're down to 25 GB for new accounts according to their web page. Logged into my older account and there's a coupon applied for a "Free Tier Coupon (Legacy)."

Thanked by 2kuticon commercial
  • SiliCloudSiliCloud Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Hi,

I think our affordable HA storage VM is suitable for you.
    Storage SP offers @ Los Angeles:

1 vCPU Xeon 2683v4 2GiB DDR4 
    20GiB vSSD + 500G HDD_WHS
    Global Out-Traffic 2000G@1Gbps throttled@3Mbps
    6 Mo 23.88 USD (Recurring)

Place Order

1000G Plan is also available.

2000G Plan please pm me.

Sincerely,
    SICloud,

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@ItsAsylum said:

Been using it since 2017.

My personal laptop & desktop are on Backblaze.

My desktop HDD started corrupting data (was a nightmare) - bought a SSD, downloaded everything from Backblaze, no issues what so ever.

Also, the additional plus point is, if I am travelling/away from my systems and need some file which is on my laptop/desktop, I retrieve it from Backblaze's Mobile App (since the files are continuously uploaded).

So yeah, Backblaze has been a life saver for me.

• @ItsAsylum said:

Another vote for backblaze. I use it for small object storage needs where something like 1TB plans doesn't make sense. I have a small bucket with photos, maybe 50gb. I pay 19 cents a month to store it.

• Scaleway Object storage is my go to...no request fees which always bothered me on other S3 compatible storage...I could never really know how many requests I would use and I just didn't want to have to worry about rclone or Kopia doing a crazy amount of requests