Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Backup Day - Backup with GUI ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

World Backup Day - Backup with GUI ?

Hello,

Everyone should have backups and backups of backups for hosting anything important. No question there. And it's always wise to have multiple different options.

Today (31st March) is World Backup Day and so far I have only seen one provider BorgBase taking it seriously and giving discount for their offering. So a big shutout to them. I am one of their customers.

In my use case, I have multiple KVM based virtual servers using Linux. No control panel for them since they are all running custom setup. Some small VPS, some big ones. I am already using JetBackups for a few of them and some backed up using BorgBase. But I would much rather prefer having a GUI for managing backups. (So even someone other than me can store files if/when needed).

JetBackup is great but I am looking for other viable options (with decent/affordable price).
I am consider setting up Proxmox Backup Server on a small dedicated server with SSDs and then using cheap storage boxes for backup storage. (Still not sure if that will work, I am not using Proxmox VE)

I am also considering Acronis. But not seeing any good feedback for them. (Hard to use external storage space like Hetzner Storage Boxes.) Plus you have to get them from one of their resellers (if you are a small fish like me).

So what other backup options are there with a GUI ???

I know most command line options and have used them in the past. (still using some). But like I said, I am really looking for
1) an option with GUI.
2) One that allows to have multiple storage options for backups. (Like using Hetzner Storage Box, KVM Storage VPS or S3 compatible storage).
3) Affordable even for small VPSs (Similar pricing as JetBakcup or less)
4) Which is reliable

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Comments

• elkarbackup?

• UmairUmair Member

@ariq01 said:
    elkarbackup?

I don't think that is being developed anymore. I would much rather go for BackupPC (I still use it for few VPS).

I am not just looking for GUI, but also a stable/reliable system that is actively being developed.
    So far:

1) Proxmox Seems really interesting (Not entirely sure yet if it works with any VM or you must have Proxmox VE)
    2) Acronis Cyber Cloud
    3) JetBackup for Linux
    4) Bacula

• @Umair said:

@ariq01 said:
    elkarbackup?

I don't think that is being developed anymore. I would much rather go for BackupPC (I still use it for few VPS).

I am not just looking for GUI, but also a stable/reliable system that is actively being developed.
    So far:

1) Proxmox Seems really interesting (Not entirely sure yet if it works with any VM or you must have Proxmox VE)
    2) Acronis Cyber Cloud
    3) JetBackup for Linux
    4) Bacula

You didn't say what the issue with BackupPC since that does seem to tick the boxes.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • alt_alt_ Member
    edited April 2023

I would recommend Goodsync. It’s pretty handy for both personal file and server backup.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • I absolutely love Kopia, best backup tool I've used. I backup a few Mac's to Scaleway and Storj.

Thanked by 2Umair iqbal
  • UmairUmair Member

@TimboJones said:

You didn't say what the issue with BackupPC since that does seem to tick the boxes.

There is no issue with it (for my use case). Just looking for more options (better ones).
    That's why I am considering Acronis / Proxmox Backup.

Always good idea to have multiple ways of backups.

• UmairUmair Member

@alt_ said:
    I would recommend Goodsync. It’s pretty handy for both personal file and server backup.

Never heard of them before. Looks interesting but their "GoodSync Server Runner" seems to be way more expansive license.

• I am a Certified Acronis Engineer so I might be a bit biased, but if you can afford it I would go with Acronis. A central interface with good reporting and monitoring. Native storage, cloud, or any mix thereof. You can go cloud first with scheduled exports to second tier storage or whatever you see fit.
    If money is an issue I would say Kopia or Proxmox. Both are good solutions with lots of features.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • UmairUmair Member

@rcy026 said:
    I am a Certified Acronis Engineer so I might be a bit biased, but if you can afford it I would go with Acronis. A central interface with good reporting and monitoring. Native storage, cloud, or any mix thereof. You can go cloud first with scheduled exports to second tier storage or whatever you see fit.
    If money is an issue I would say Kopia or Proxmox. Both are good solutions with lots of features.

Their support / documents are confusing. I am testing their trial and when I ask something, all they want is "lets schedule a call with out sales team".

I am not even sure with their pricing plans. Do they deal with a small user like me directly or do I have to find a reseller etc? I mean, I am sure they have a great product. But they could have made it less confusing ... (with pricing, documents)

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @Umair said:

@rcy026 said:
    I am a Certified Acronis Engineer so I might be a bit biased, but if you can afford it I would go with Acronis. A central interface with good reporting and monitoring. Native storage, cloud, or any mix thereof. You can go cloud first with scheduled exports to second tier storage or whatever you see fit.

Their support / documents are confusing. I am testing their trial and when I ask something, all they want is "lets schedule a call with out sales team".

Support is usually for paying customers, not many corporations will give free support to trial users.
    What is it that confuses you? I am not speaking for Acronis in any way, shape or form but I might be able to answer your questions.

I am not even sure with their pricing plans. Do they deal with a small user like me directly or do I have to find a reseller etc? I mean, I am sure they have a great product. But they could have made it less confusing ... (with pricing, documents)

https://www.acronis.com/en-eu/products/cyber-protect/purchasing/#step=1
    It's the first hit on Google. You pick the edition you want and it shows you the price. It even explains how the licensing works and what the difference is between the different editions.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

I use Acronis in our MSP.

We have to get it via a reseller. It’s pretty cheap on per GB.

The issue I have is stuff brakes!
    The DC won’t connect to it breaks backups. It doesn’t seem smart enough to try in between the next schedule.

The is no status page that I can find.

I have to go via a reseller for Supoort and that takes days! If a backup doesn’t restore, clients can’t wait days for Acronis to think about it.

This is where Acronis fails compared to JetBackup for hosting. JetBackup will literally log straight it and see what is going on.

I also think Acronis goes to kernel level with devices, so again can cause issues.

The cyber cloud is confusing and seems there is no simple pricing and is this addon going to cost me more?

Also if you just want the backup the cyber cloud software still gets involved.

• emgemg Veteran

My car came with a backup camera. I am still looking for the original camera. ;-)

• @JamesF said: The DC won’t connect to it breaks backups. It doesn’t seem smart enough to try in between the next schedule.

Perhaps switching the scheduler to the event mode, like "Upon time since last backup" or some other events would work better for your scenario.

@JamesF said: I have to go via a reseller for Supoort and that takes days! If a backup doesn’t restore, clients can’t wait days for Acronis to think about it.

Any chance you could share a ticket number (and reseller's name) so that I could take a closer look at your experience with the support?

@JamesF said: Also if you just want the backup the cyber cloud software still gets involved.

Services like anti-malware, device control, data-loss prevention, URL-filtering are dynamically installed only when required by a protection plan and uninstalled when the respective option gets disabled in the protection plan. Did you mean something else?

• In terms of affordability and reliability, BackupPC, Duplicati, and UrBackup are good options as they are free and open-source. Veeam Backup & Replication, CloudBerry Backup, and MSP360 Backup may be more expensive but they offer more features and support.

Thanked by 1Umair