Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Cheappest Object storage - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Cheappest Object storage

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@huymike00 said:
    Have you tried CloudFlare R2? It seems they have not clarified about the bandwidth speed, the only information I got from someone on Reddit is 200 Mbit/s. This is quite slow with me. Please update if they are faster now.

I currently do not think their egress is really free and unlimited.

I've decided to use it as my main storage for my project.

But honestly I wouldn't know, my project involves storing (in awhile) hundreds of thousands of PDF documents. They're like half a MB each.

Thanked by 2huymike00 greentea
  • emghemgh Member

Actually, @huymike00 - here's a discord with some Cloudflare folks hanging around with chats for the different products, ask there and you'll get a correct answer: https://discord.gg/cloudflaredev

Thanked by 1huymike00
  • pbxpbx Member
    edited March 2023

@emgh said: If you do need to restore, but:

1. It’s very very rarely
    2. And/or you’d then only need to restore some smaller specific files

S3 could still be way cheaper because of 1/2 storage price.

You're right, if it's for backups and you have a good setup (the need to restore is very unlikely) or for backups of backups, S3 DG can be way cheaper than Scaleway, and it data is replicated in 3 DC as I understand it, vs only one with Scaleway (but their setup seems pretty solid).

@emgh said: Although Scaleway don’t seem to have any operation fees (such as reading/writing fees like R2 etc)?

Yep, but these can be pretty cheap with S3 if you use the right software for your backups (that way you don't upload many small files).

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @desperand said:

@webontop said: So I'm looking for really cheap Object storage... af anyone can suggest me

object storage & cheap = not compatible. Average price for not awful object storage without hidden fees around 10 usd / TB. With hidden fees - starting from 5 usd / TB.
    Below 5usd/TB - crap. Always. No exceptions.

The only option for you - HDDs & dedi server with your own gbit/s ports.

For example: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/matrix-sx

4 x 16 (real 14.5TB) = ~ 58TB of disk space.

58 TB disk space * 5 usd/mo = 290 usd / mo (minimum) required if you will use any object storage. While the dedi server & a lot of space costs ~100 usd /mo.

i.e. 3x times cheaper.

This is the cheapest option at all.
    The problem - abstraction above the hardware & easy management & abilities to easily push/pull files from the server or easy to integrate into working apps / sites / services.

And the guy above already said about https://github.com/minio/minio and tools like that.

Do not waste money for jumping from one to another object storage. You wont find anything good below 10 usd / TB.

https://github.com/seaweedfs/seaweedfs#introduction

Understand the issue here... I don't need lage storage but need hugh BW and CPU. As long as Im using s3 it's ok so far. But when I shifted to dedicated server my server gets overloads.. I even used server with 96GB RAM and results slow speed to completly no downloading.. That's why I moved to s3 in the first place.

• @emgh said:
    Actually, @huymike00 - here's a discord with some Cloudflare folks hanging around with chats for the different products, ask there and you'll get a correct answer: https://discord.gg/cloudflaredev

Thanks, @emgh .

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@pbx said:

@emgh said: If you do need to restore, but:

1. It’s very very rarely
    2. And/or you’d then only need to restore some smaller specific files

S3 could still be way cheaper because of 1/2 storage price.

You're right, if it's for backups and you have a good setup (the need to restore is very unlikely) or for backups of backups, S3 DG can be way cheaper than Scaleway, and it data is replicated in 3 DC as I understand it, vs only one with Scaleway (but their setup seems pretty solid).

@emgh said: Although Scaleway don’t seem to have any operation fees (such as reading/writing fees like R2 etc)?

Yep, but these can be pretty cheap with S3 if you use the right software for your backups (that way you don't upload many small files).

Fully agree.

@huymike00 said:

@emgh said:

Thanks, @emgh .

No problem!

• contabo offers $12 for 1TB.
    Im talking ti Terrahost if they allow me some discounts I may move.

• @webontop said:
    contabo offers $12 for 1TB.

Don't bother with contabo object storage, it's really bad

• emghemgh Member

@webontop said:

You downloading enough to justify such a high price compared to like B2?

• huymike00huymike00 Member
    edited March 2023

@webontop said:

You should check contabo object storage limit at https://docs.contabo.com/docs/products/Object-Storage/technical-description/

• Dumb question i am sure but is S3 only used for backups or do businesses use it for live files, etc? If so - what client is run on the desktop and I assume nothing is stored locally? I use S3 alot but it's always for backups but then it occurred to me perhaps people use this for shared data access somehow although I don't understand how locking/collisions/etc are handled if it's used in this manner.

I've used StorJ, idrive, S3, Minio but it never once occured to me to use this in a file explorer type manner.

Thanks

• sixsix Member

@sidewinder said:
    Dumb question i am sure but is S3 only used for backups or do businesses use it for live files, etc? If so - what client is run on the desktop and I assume nothing is stored locally? I use S3 alot but it's always for backups but then it occurred to me perhaps people use this for shared data access somehow although I don't understand how locking/collisions/etc are handled if it's used in this manner.

I've used StorJ, idrive, S3, Minio but it never once occured to me to use this in a file explorer type manner.

Thanks

Why only backups? You can use S3 for anything. User uploads, image storage, video storage, linux iso storage, you can store basically anything on S3 & easily retrieve it again.

• bgerardbgerard Member
    edited April 2023

@sidewinder said:
    Dumb question i am sure but is S3 only used for backups or do businesses use it for live files, etc? If so - what client is run on the desktop and I assume nothing is stored locally? I use S3 alot but it's always for backups but then it occurred to me perhaps people use this for shared data access somehow although I don't understand how locking/collisions/etc are handled if it's used in this manner.

Thanks

Yep, S3 is highly reliable and performant. I've seen custom databases built on top of it & APIs backed by data stored in S3 (user makes request, file is read from S3, munged and data returned by the user).

It's less common for businesses to use it as a file sharing mechanism I'd say. Nextcloud backed via S3, google drive, dropbox, sharepoint, onedrive, etc are more likely to be used for sharing documents.

Just treat it like a piece of infrastructure, like you would a database, load balancer, etc

• MMzFMMzF Member
    edited April 2023

@webontop said:

@TimRoo said:

@Dazzle said:
    Storj.io $4/TB/mth

150 GB free also.

128MB files upload limits :(

I am using storj since 6months+ but with s3, uploading files 1gb+ per file without issues, S3 is a pretty good tool to sync, upload and control files easily.

Edit: Oh no! just noticed they have changed their free tier limit from 150/150 to 25/25 :'(

• @six said:

@sidewinder said:

Thanks

Why only backups? You can use S3 for anything. User uploads, image storage, video storage, linux iso storage, you can store basically anything on S3 & easily retrieve it again.

thanks - is there client software you recommend?

• sixsix Member

@sidewinder said:
    thanks - is there client software you recommend?

rclone's S3 backend is useful, you can mount S3 locally, clone things, etc. Other than that, lots of software comes with s3 configurations already, which you can use.

Thanked by 1sidewinder
  • @AXYZE said: iCloud E2

what is icloud e2?
    thx

• ardaarda Member

@minlearn said:

@AXYZE said: iCloud E2

what is icloud e2?
    thx

Possibly meant idrive e2.

I've been using them for about 5 months for my object storage for mastodon instance. Works nicely so far for the price.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited April 2023

It seems the answer to OP's question is iDrive e2 for kind of hot storage. They cost $4/TB when paid monthly and $3.33/TB when paid yearly, first year being $0.33/TB.

There doesn’t seem to be anything that beats their pricing in the market right now. It's awfully cheap tbh. Almost as cheap as cold storage. Although their egress policy makes it more like a cold storage actually since you can’t download much and there’s no option to pay for egress if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder if they’re making any profit with these pricing.

Would you guys prefer something that is as cheap as $4/TB but you can only download what you uploaded and no ability to download more even if you're willing to pay for it

OR would you prefer something between $5-7/TB but you have the ability to download as much as you want as long as you pay the same amount per TB or maybe even a little less in egress fees

OR another option is to pay $7-10/TB with unlimited ingress/egress? (this last option is imaginary at this moment since there's no provider like that)

• @anbelevebel said: Although their egress policy makes it more like a cold storage actually since you can’t download much and there’s no option to pay for egress if I'm not mistaken.

If your use case exceeds the guidelines of our free egress policy, we reserve the right to charge $0.01/GB/Month.

• @EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said: Although their egress policy makes it more like a cold storage actually since you can’t download much and there’s no option to pay for egress if I'm not mistaken.

If your use case exceeds the guidelines of our free egress policy, we reserve the right to charge $0.01/GB/Month.

Oh I didn’t see that. It doesn’t look too bad after all I guess.

• @anbelevebel said:

@EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said: Although their egress policy makes it more like a cold storage actually since you can’t download much and there’s no option to pay for egress if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.idrive.com/object-storage-e2/faq-account-management#egress-policy
    Great for backup, cheap and fast.

• @EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said:

@EthanZou said:

Well, I just read this and honestly, it is great for everything. Seems like nothing beats their pricing and download limit of thrice the stored data is extremely generous.

• @anbelevebel said:

@EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said:

@EthanZou said:

Well, I just read this and honestly, it is great for everything. Seems like nothing beats their pricing and download limit of thrice the stored data is extremely generous.

Great for everything? that's great! and how about backblaze b2?

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited April 2023

@EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said:

@EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said:

@EthanZou said:

Great for everything? that's great! and how about backblaze b2?

B2 is also a great option but at this point I don’t see a reason to use them over e2 while you can get the same performance for less money.

• @arda said:
    I'm hosting my mastodon assets with idrive e2 + cloudflare cdn. Quite happy so far!

Whats your CF rules? please share

• Also if anyone wants to use an Object Storage as a CDN or with unlimited egress, you can use Scaleway’s S3 with reverse proxy.

They have a tutorial here; https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/tutorials/setup-nginx-reverse-proxy-s3/

This basically gives unlimited egress for free but you’re limited to cloud instance’s bandwidth which is 100mbps on their cheapest plan. It is unlimited though.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • ardaarda Member

@webontop said:

@arda said:
    I'm hosting my mastodon assets with idrive e2 + cloudflare cdn. Quite happy so far!

Whats your CF rules? please share

Nothing major.

I don't think these rules are too complex for a single person to find out if they already have mastodon up and running, but anyways, here they are:

• @anbelevebel said:
    Also if anyone wants to use an Object Storage as a CDN or with unlimited egress, you can use Scaleway’s S3 with reverse proxy.

They have a tutorial here; https://www.scaleway.com/en/docs/tutorials/setup-nginx-reverse-proxy-s3/

This basically gives unlimited egress for free but you’re limited to cloud instance’s bandwidth which is 100mbps on their cheapest plan. It is unlimited though.

1. You need at least SSD with 200GB storage
    2. your VM should able to process 500mb/s In any time
    3. Like 16GB ram

Which cost you around $20PM extra with you S3 :( in my case for other people might work

• @webontop said:

@anbelevebel said:
    Also if anyone wants to use an Object Storage as a CDN or with unlimited egress, you can use Scaleway’s S3 with reverse proxy.

1. You need at least SSD with 200GB storage
    2. your VM should able to process 500mb/s In any time
    3. Like 16GB ram

Which cost you around $20PM extra with you S3 :( in my case for other people might work

You can use Cloudflare to cache stuff and take a lot of load out off your instance.