Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking a Cheap and Reliable VPS in Edinburgh, UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking a Cheap and Reliable VPS in Edinburgh, UK

Hello LowEndTalk community!

I'm currently in search of a cheap and reliable VPS provider in Edinburgh, UK. I need your recommendations and experiences with providers that offer VPS hosting in this region.

Here are my requirements:

Budget: Please suggest affordable options that suit the low-end market.
RAM: At least 1 GB
Storage: Minimum 20 GB SSD
Bandwidth: Around 1 TB
IPv4: 1 IP address or more
Control Panel: Not necessary
Virtualization: OpenVZ, KVM, or any other stable virtualization technology

I'm open to considering yearly, bi-yearly, or tri-yearly billing cycles. Please share your experiences and recommendations for providers that meet these criteria. If possible, kindly provide a brief overview of the provider's performance, customer support, and overall experience.

Your input is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Best regards,
Chase

Comments

• chipchip Member
    edited March 2023

Unfortunately cheap and UK don't go together

Your certainly not going to get anything cheap in the capital of Scotland

• Thank you. A little cheap maybe? ;)

• I just discovered a selection of affordable VPS options in the UK on this page: https://lowendtalk.com/categories/offers. However, there don't seem to be any available in Edinburgh.

• GaryGary Member

Why Edinburgh specifically? What benefit do you see in having a VPS there weather than in one n of the larger and better connected datacentres down south?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2023

I think you're going to really struggle to find anything cheap. I know there are a few people providing VPS out of Edinburgh but nobody in the Low End market. (Lowest I think I know of is about ~€14/mo)

Maybe someone here is with Zare, they have a presence in Edinburgh.

Is there any specific reason other than you just want it (which, I totally get)? London based machines are almost always the fastest no matter where you are in the country.

• My client lives in Edinburgh. I guess using a VPS located in Edinburgh would be advantageous because, in case of any issues, it would be more convenient for us to communicate with the VPS provider.

• @chatmurphy said:
    My client lives in Edinburgh. I guess using a VPS located in Edinburgh would be advantageous because, in case of any issues, it would be more convenient for us to communicate with the VPS provider.

It sounds like you are looking for hosting provider that provide reliable service and fast support in case of any issues rather than one specifically located in Edinburgh.

I would recommend hosting providers like DigitalOcean, Linode for best reliability.
    Outside of that I would look at @speedypage @hosthatch which are both solid too.

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

All traffic for nearly all major ISP's is terminated in London. @chatmurphy

I wouldn't recommend getting a server in Edinburgh as you are increasing your latency for no real reason, by about double in most instances.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • GaryGary Member

@chatmurphy said:
    My client lives in Edinburgh. I guess using a VPS located in Edinburgh would be advantageous because, in case of any issues, it would be more convenient for us to communicate with the VPS provider.

Just because a provider sells VPSes in Edinburgh doesn't mean their support people work UK time, or are any good in general.

A good provider will respond to tickets 24/7. Find a good quality provider and go with them.

• Thanks, everyone. I'll get in touch with my client so he can take a look at this discussion.