Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the most competitive certificates in the security field?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the most competitive certificates in the security field?

Certified Information Systems Security Professional?
AWS Certified Security - Specialty ?
Certified Information Security Manager?
Certified Information Systems Auditor?

Do they help people find jobs?
Their salary status?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

"I hacked into (insert three letter agency not in your country)"

Thanked by 1Calin
  • ralfralf Member

MCSE (Minesweeper Champion Solitaire Expert)

Thanked by 1bruh21
  • VoidVoid Member

CISSP for sure. If you want to get into management things rather than technical, then CISSP+CISM. Either case you need some good experience & exposure in the field to make big bucks.

Thanked by 1shuier
  • @jmaxwell said:
    CISSP for sure. If you want to get into management things rather than technical, then CISSP+CISM. Either case you need some good experience & exposure in the field to make big bucks.

Do I understand that: technical fields do not need to obtain a certificate

• VoidVoid Member

@shuier said:

@jmaxwell said:

True. Knowledge and skills matter more.

• @jmaxwell said:

@shuier said:

@jmaxwell said:

True. Knowledge and skills matter more.

Thank you for your answer
    Can you share your learning path?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited March 2023

Q: What are the most competitive certificates in the security field?
    A: EV certificates issued by the NSA for your website, naturally. ;-)

P.S. Related:
    While looking at government website certificates, I happened to notice that the official US government White House website uses Let's Encrypt certificates. There is nothing wrong with that, but I admit that it surprises me.

https://www.whitehouse.gov
    https://www.wh.gov (redirects to whitehouse.gov)

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • @emg said:
    Q: What are the most competitive certificates in the security field?
    A: EV certificates issued by the NSA for your website, naturally. ;-)

P.S. Related:
    While looking at government website certificates, I happened to notice that the official US government White House website uses Let's Encrypt certificates. There is nothing wrong with that, but I admit that it surprises me.

https://www.whitehouse.gov
    https://www.wh.gov (redirects to whitehouse.gov)

In a sense, you're right.

Thanked by 1emg
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Most prestigious certif is called: Proven experience. That's it.

• CEH, CRTO, BSCP, eJPT

• is comptia stuff still relevant nowadays?

• @emg said: While looking at government website certificates, I happened to notice that the official US government White House website uses Let's Encrypt certificates. There is nothing wrong with that, but I admit that it surprises me.

Think about it.
    Lets Encrypt is American.
    Ciphers used were made in America.

What is so surprising?
    A thing that would surprise me, would be that NSA and CIA does not snoop basically all internal traffic and doesn't sit on transit - but they do.

• emgemg Veteran

@treesmokah said:

Think about it.
    Lets Encrypt is American.
    Ciphers used were made in America.

What is so surprising?
    A thing that would surprise me, would be that NSA and CIA does not snoop basically all internal traffic and doesn't sit on transit - but they do.

It surprises me because I imagined that the White House would use a known commercial certificate authority. Other US government agencies use commercial certificates. In addition, Let's Encrypt has a "grassroots" origin.

Sorry, but I disagree with @treesmokah that the White House changed to Let's Encrypt because Let's Encrypt and the ciphers used were "made in America". NSA and CIA snooping is not relevant, whether or not you believe that such snooping is occurring.

• This really depends on what you are trying to achieve.
    If you are looking to get a gov job, CISSP does the trick most of the time.
    If you are looking to get into security management - CISM would help.
    If you are looking for tech jobs in offensive security - go for OSCP.
    If you want to work with AWS - AWS architect + security concentration is the way forward.

There's no cookie cutter approach here. I was hired with no certifications for my first few jobs but came with experience and got the certs along the way (I do hold 3 of the above) but as a freelancer now I don't see much benefit from those besides participating in government tenders.

• Do a bunch of CTFs, get a job :smile:

Worked for me.

• For infrastructure or in general?

I am enrolled in the OfSec academy (formerly Offensive Security) https://www.offsec.com/

I am preparing for certifications in pen testing. In this field these certifications are pretty good.