Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup webhosting information
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup webhosting information

nfnnfn Veteran
edited March 2023 in Help

Hi,

I'm looking for some Netcup webhosting user who could help me understand how does extra domains work.

I've read some complaints, from my understanding we need to change some DNS settings to work with netcup webhosting packages, but what needs to be changed?

Thanks

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

you need to add the proper DNS record (usually A and probably MX if you want to use mail as well) with your domain registrar, pointing to the IP of your webhosting.
    also you need to add these domains as external domains to your webhosting within their control panel.

here is a wiki article, only german though, seems there is no english translation...

https://www.netcup-wiki.de/wiki/Produkte_CCP#Externe_Domains

Thanked by 2Ympker sebkehl
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2023

@Falzo said:
    you need to add the proper DNS record (usually A and probably MX if you want to use mail as well) with your domain registrar, pointing to the IP of your webhosting.
    also you need to add these domains as external domains to your webhosting within their control panel.

here is a wiki article, only german though, seems there is no english translation...

https://www.netcup-wiki.de/wiki/Produkte_CCP#Externe_Domains

Last time I used Netcup for webhosting I had to add their ns before I could add my domain iirc. Was kind of a pita since most (LE) hosts allow you to add domains no matter if they are already pointing to them or not. That way you could transfer all files/db and test everything by e.g. editing hosts file before actually pointing your public domain (/visitors) to the new host (in this case netcup). Was kind of annoyed by this back then. Having to setup an A record is also kind of forcing you to point to Netcup before being able to test the migrated files/website on their infrastructure, which is just a bit of a pita. That said, they are stable and probably have great performance. While I sort of parted ways with them (aside from domains; VPS were awesome, but no need and webhosting..), they are still a good host for anyone not as nit-picky as I am :)

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • nfnnfn Veteran

I think creating an A/AAAA record with their IP isn't enough, I just mail them to get an answer about this. In the forum, people complain about this but it's not clear what needs to be changed.

• @nfn said:
    I think creating an A/AAAA record with their IP isn't enough, I just mail them to get an answer about this. In the forum, people complain about this but it's not clear what needs to be changed.

Probably point to their ns. At least that's what I had to do back then iirc.