Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server Wanted
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server Wanted

Hi All,

I am looking for a dedicated server. Prefer in UK or Europe at a push (latency is key)

I want to learn proxmox and a dedicated server seems a good start.

Budget : £25 a month.

Currently looking at OVHclouds :

CPU : Intel Core i7-4790K - 4c/8t - 4 GHz/4.4 GHz
Memory : 32 GB DDR3
Storage : 2 x 960 GB SSD SATA Soft RAID
Public bandwidth : 100 Mbps
For £26.99

Anyone have any recommendations?

I will be running a couple of game servers and a few virtual machines for practice hence my price range.

Open to all, Hit me with options!

Comments

• Welcome to LET.

OVH's SoYouStart range is 250Mbps if you need more bandwidth. I see one for $26GBP including VAT.

PebbleHost has some servers in UK for $20USD: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184869/pebblehost-dedicated-servers-from-19-99-4-8-trustpilot-2-900-reviews-instant-setup

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Pebble host is great and ovh is alright too

Thanked by 1dann00
  • @CyberneticTitan said:
    Welcome to LET.

OVH's SoYouStart range is 250Mbps if you need more bandwidth. I see one for $26GBP including VAT.

PebbleHost has some servers in UK for $20USD: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/184869/pebblehost-dedicated-servers-from-19-99-4-8-trustpilot-2-900-reviews-instant-setup

Thanks! I will look,

Is there much difference in a Intel Xeon D1520 - 4c/8t - 2.2 GHz/2.6 GHz compared to a Intel Core i7-4790K - 4c/8t - 4 GHz/4.4 GHz ?

I can see the frequency is of course greater but in real world environment does that matter? The RAM is ddr4 in the So you start range also!

Pebbly host looks great but 8gb RAM is a small amount

• They'll be a bit above your budget but keep an eye on the deal threads by @MrRadic at reliable site

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • @michaelscott88 said:
    Thanks! I will look,

Is there much difference in a Intel Xeon D1520 - 4c/8t - 2.2 GHz/2.6 GHz compared to a Intel Core i7-4790K - 4c/8t - 4 GHz/4.4 GHz ?

I can see the frequency is of course greater but in real world environment does that matter? The RAM is ddr4 in the So you start range also!

Pebbly host looks great but 8gb RAM is a small amount

The 4790k quite a bit faster than the D1520 despite having an older architecture. It has a higher TDP and base frequency. Taking a peek at GeekBench 5 browser, the 4790k is about 60% faster single-core.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11454176
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/19300383

I would normally use passmark to make quick comparisons but there doesn't seem to be enough data on the D-1520. It's slower, but you're getting a network speed increase so just pick what is important for you.

As for PebbleHost, 8GB of RAM may not be enough, but unlike OVH you don't have to pay a setup-fee. For 2/3rds the price of these OVH servers you have a decent playground to try Proxmox and your game servers to identify any inadequacies.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@bgerard said:
    They'll be a bit above your budget but keep an eye on the deal threads by @MrRadic at reliable site

Thanks for the mention! We aren't UK based.

• @michaelscott88 said:
    Hi All,

I am looking for a dedicated server. Prefer in UK or Europe at a push (latency is key)

For £26.99

I will be running a couple of game servers and a few virtual machines for practice hence my price range.

Hi dear,
    CPU: i5 6500
    RAM: 32GB DDR4
    STORAGE: 1x 250GB NVMe or 1x 480GB SSD SATA
    BANDWIDTH 10TB @ 1Gbps

€20/month vat excluded.

• @c1vhosting said: €20/month vat excluded.

>
    Order link?

• @jokesonyou said:

@c1vhosting said: €20/month vat excluded.

>
    Order link?

Dm

• @c1vhosting said:

@michaelscott88 said:
    Hi All,

For £26.99

Hi dear,
    CPU: i5 6500
    RAM: 32GB DDR4
    STORAGE: 1x 250GB NVMe or 1x 480GB SSD SATA
    BANDWIDTH 10TB @ 1Gbps

€20/month vat excluded.

Thank you kindly for the offer, I have taken a server with OVHcloud for now. This is a very compelling offer but I have already purchased :-)