Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Numeric XYZ Domain (6-9 numbers) for 0.80€/year at Namecheap (and possibly other registars)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Numeric XYZ Domain (6-9 numbers) for 0.80€/year at Namecheap (and possibly other registars)

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited March 2023 in General

This has probably existed for a while and some of you may already know about this, but when you opt for a numeric XYZ domain (6-9 numbers), instead of 10$ish/year (normal XYZ price), you can get a numeric XYZ domain for as low as 0.80€/year (renews at same price) from Namecheap (including whois privacy).
As indicated by @angstrom this may also apply to registars other than gen.xyz/Namecheap.

Just got myself one to use as for personal throwaway mails (for Mydealz promos/newsletters etc and other stuff which I might never need again, but it can't hurt if I can log back in to mailbox if needed) :)

According to https://gen.xyz/pricing that's because:

1.111B Class .xyz Domains
The 1.111B Class is made up of all 6-digit, 7-digit, 8-digit, and 9-digit numeric .xyz domains between 000000.xyz – 999999999.xyz.

The default price for 1.111B Class .xyz domains is $0.99 per year to create, renew, and transfer, including ICANN fees. Transfers will automatically add 1 year to your domain’s expiry date, and additional years can be added at checkout.

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Ympker said: This has probably existed for a while and some of you may already know about this, but when you opt for a numeric XYZ domain (6-9 numbers), instead of 10$ish/year (normal XYZ price), you can get a numeric XYZ domain for as low as 0.80€/year (renews at same price) from Namecheap (including whois privacy).

I may be mistaken, but I think that this is true of all the major (reputable) registrars

(But I haven't looked at this systematically)

Thanked by 2Ympker BasToTheMax
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2023

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said: This has probably existed for a while and some of you may already know about this, but when you opt for a numeric XYZ domain (6-9 numbers), instead of 10$ish/year (normal XYZ price), you can get a numeric XYZ domain for as low as 0.80€/year (renews at same price) from Namecheap (including whois privacy).

I may be mistaken, but I think that this is true of all the major (reputable) registrars

(But I haven't looked at this systematically)

This could very well be the case. Thanks! Updated OP :) Initially, I thought this was only about gen.xyz, but a Reddit post indicated it also works for Namecheap (which I trust more and still had an account with them).

Thanked by 1angstrom

@Ympker said: As indicated by @angstrom this may also apply to registars other than gen.xyz/Namecheap.

I've just checked NameSilo and they also offer this discount pricing for numeric XYZ domains

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • namecheap only allows yearly registration for this type of domains. i mean they do not support multi-year contract for this type of domain.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax
  • @unfortunately said:
    namecheap only allows yearly registration for this type of domains. i mean they do not support multi-year contract for this type of domain.

Fair enough, imho. All of my domains are yearly renewals anyway.

But just to add that gen.xyz are reputable: they are a domain registrar run by the XYZ registry

• @angstrom said:
    But just to add that gen.xyz are reputable: they are a domain registrar run by the XYZ registry

After googling a bit, I also saw that haha.
    Then again, I already had a Namecheap account and didn't really want to open yet another one so :tongue:

• Yeah these are nice, I have a few dozen for various random test sites and other crap since it's so cheap. Be aware of that some places don't accept domains that are all numbers though, such as Hurricane Electric DNS and a couple mail providers I tried so maybe don't put your whole life on one lol.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 2023

@unfortunately said:
    namecheap only allows yearly registration for this type of domains. i mean they do not support multi-year contract for this type of domain.

That's .xyz registry rule for this 000000.xyz – 999999999.xyz domain, however you can extend it with them immediately for 1+1+1... up to 10 consecutive payments to get 10 years registration.

• 199903.xyz - anyway whois behind 199903.xyz?

• @hyperblast said:
    199903.xyz - anyway whois behind 199903.xyz?

Not me, lol. 666666.xyz is 28k€ lol

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • VoidVoid Member

gen.xyz asks for documents for verification. Namecheap never asked for any.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bdlbdl Member

• @unfortunately said:

After the first registration you can add years

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Isn't XYZ associated with spam? If not, I might get a couple, not for emails, just for nameservers.

• @Arkas said:
    Isn't XYZ associated with spam? If not, I might get a couple, not for emails, just for nameservers.

It is associated with spam quite often. That said, there are still enough use cases that may warrant getting one regardless. I assume most people won't put anything mission critical or their business on a numeric XYZ domain. Regarding XYZ in general, Alphabet has a XYZ domain, too.

Thanked by 2Arkas BasToTheMax
  • harrisonharrison Member
    edited March 2023

Thanks for the tip.
    Wouldn't it cause your emails to be marked as spam by filter systems?
    oh never mind...you answered this above

• ~€20/10yr on godaddy, but can transfer out later.