Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vps,Vds,cloud or Home pc for video encoding?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vps,Vds,cloud or Home pc for video encoding?

bdspicebdspice Member

Hi.
I searched google, forums, chatgpt for Server specifications of video encoding server. I found that high cpu core with high clock speed is main fact for fastest video encoding. I saw some free video hosting site like doodstream, streamsb, streamtape do video encoding very fast. In example 500mb video encoded withing 2minutes.
I need to convert my videos which around 300-500mb. Monthly around 200videos need to convert. So i am asking for suggestion. Should i buy a high performance vps or semi dedicated server or hourly cloud server? Or i should build a desktop within 600-700$ (Bangladesh) .
I am actually confused which will be fast and cost effective? And what minimum configuration i need for such fast encoding?
I am trying to understand this for more then week and writing here after thinking for 2 days. Because It's a common question here with no interest to anyone.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

Depends how much encoding you’ll be doing. Not sure what you can get for that price or how much power costs in Bangladesh, but if it’s not a constant load you might be better off doing some sort of hourly cloud.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My push-up videos are encoded on an on-premise desktop computer.
    Typically, 1 minute of content can take 20~30 minute to encode into four resolutions.
    It isn't fast but I'm not in a hurry.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • bdspicebdspice Member
    edited March 2023

@bruh21 said:
    Depends how much encoding you’ll be doing. Not sure what you can get for that price or how much power costs in Bangladesh, but if it’s not a constant load you might be better off doing some sort of hourly cloud.

what config should i choose for cloud? Power cost in Bangladesh now quite expensive but i dont consider it in my budget since my family will pay electricity bill. is it better to build a desktop with intel i5/i7 or amd ryzen?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

200 videos is per month is just 6-7 per day. If you are looking at 10min per encode then you need just 1hour per day.

Get hourly billed VPS from Hetzner (3vcore + 4GB is good start), create snapshot after you install everything and then create server from this snapshot when you need to transcode and destroy after.

You will spend just couple of cents per month for that.

There are no requirements for encoding.
    Faster CPU = faster encode.

GPU are way faster for encoding, but its too low scale for it.

If you want it faster then get 8vCPU machine from Hetzner. With snapshot technique + run for hour per day you will spend just a euro per month.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • A good answer to this will depend on a number of details you don't give. What format videos? What format(s) being converted to? (and what different resolutions). Are you expecting the workload to be spotty and fairly evenly distributed, or a big load of conversions every few hours / one a day / etc.?

A few generic comments:

If using a VPS make sure that high CPU use is not against their FUP/other – you likely need an option that claims to give you dedicated cores with not FUP (so you can spin your allocated cores as much as you like).

If encoding at home, do you have the bandwidth to bring in the content and push it back out again once converted without too much delay (this may not be an issue if the content is not time sensitive at all).

For hourly cloud servers check the bandwidth costs of transferring the content in and out as needed, and the IO costs of the conversion process (unless you stream the input & output directly from/to another resource so there is little IO – but in that case be wary of bandwidth ballooning if converting the same input to multiple different formats/resolutions) – cloud costs can be a bit more complicated that “how much to run a CPU for a couple of hours”.

[hoime build] is it better to build a desktop with intel i5/i7 or amd ryzen

This question may be relevant to VPD and cloud options too, and it depends on the video details (formats in & out etc) and the encoding software you plan to use. For shear performance look for benchmarks of the software you are planning to use in the candidate (or similar) chips, for price/performance do the same but you may have some value judgements to make (and be sure to factor in related costs which may vary by CPU choice, such as motherboard options and optimal RAM for high performance number-crunching, too). Also think about GPU-based encoding if offered by your preferred tools, which may be worth considering for either a home-build setup or some cloud options.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    A good answer to this will depend on a number of details you don't give. What format videos? What format(s) being converted to? (and what different resolutions). Are you expecting the workload to be spotty and fairly evenly distributed, or a big load of conversions every few hours / one a day / etc.?

shell_exec(ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -i watermark.png -filter_complex \"[1]scale2ref=w='iw*10/100':h='ow/mdar'[wm][vid];[vid][wm]overlay=W-w-5:H-h-5\" -c:a copy -preset veryfast output.mp4 -y 1> output.txt 2>&1);

• @AXYZE said:
    200 videos is per month is just 6-7 per day. If you are looking at 10min per encode then you need just 1hour per day.

If you want it faster then get 8vCPU machine from Hetzner. With snapshot technique + run for hour per day you will spend just a euro per month.

its 90+ euro per month. if i use totally 1days then it will be atleast 3euro. setting LAMP+ Transferring Videos will take atleast half of day. server may have 1gbps connection but files comes from a maximum 100mbps connection so it will take time anyway. this way, each time i create server from snapshots, it will take time to transfer videos basically even transcoding is about few minutes.

• @bdspice said:
    its 90+ euro per month. if i use totally 1days then it will be atleast 3euro. setting LAMP+ Transferring Videos will take atleast half of day. server may have 1gbps connection but files comes from a maximum 100mbps connection so it will take time anyway. this way, each time i create server from snapshots, it will take time to transfer videos basically even transcoding is about few minutes.

Can you not upload these file somewhere else with a faster speed before you move them to a server?

For example upload them to Google Drive and use rclone to download to server. Push the encoded videos back to Google Drive, suspend the machine and then spend the rest of the time downloading.

• @CyberneticTitan said:

@bdspice said:

Can you not upload these file somewhere else with a faster speed before you move them to a server?

For example upload them to Google Drive and use rclone to download to server. Push the encoded videos back to Google Drive, suspend the machine and then spend the rest of the time downloading.

it will take double time because i need to upload them to 100mbps server at last.

• noisycodenoisycode Member
    edited March 2023

You may want to try RootServers from Netcup. The performance is not as good as that of Hetzner cloud, but it's dirty cheap if you need a 24x7 node.

You get dedicated 4 cores (EPYC 7702), 8GB RAM, 160G SSD for 11.76 euro/mo (incl. VAT).

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • edited March 2023

@bdspice said:
    it will take double time because i need to upload them to 100mbps server at last.

I mean the point is that you are minimizing the time you are spending on that hourly billed VPS. Final destination for these files should not matter as long as there is a path.

You -> Google Drive -> Hetzner Encode -> Google Drive -> Your 100Mbps server

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • @noisycode said:
    You may want to try RootServers from Netcup. The performance is not as good as that of Hetzner cloud, but it's dirty cheap if you need a 24x7 node.

You get dedicated 4 cores (EPYC 7702), 8GB RAM, 160G SSD for 11.76 euro/mo (incl. VAT).

nice suggestion. i think it will be great to work 1month at 12euro and waiting for few months to store videos.

• @bdspice said:

@noisycode said:

nice suggestion. i think it will be great to work 1month at 12euro and waiting for few months to store videos.

There are some gotchas to pay attention to:
    1. RS comes with contract (typically 1mo) and you have to cancel it 31 days in advance (newly purchased product can be terminated immediately with refund though);
    2. 7702 is not a high frequency chip. It stays at 2GHz;
    3. IMHO, dedicated cores, with that said, the performance is not that stable, you have to try it yourself, and make use of the grace period for refund if necessary. You may search on geekbench with keywords like "7702p netcup" fo more information.

Thanked by 2bdspice nick_
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

@bdspice said:

@AXYZE said:

how did you calcuulate both 90 euro and half day?!

You use snapshots to avoid setting up LAMP each time.
    500MB file on 100Mb connection takes less than minute on transfer. Even on 10Mb connection will be less than 7 minutes.

Hourly billing will cost less than euro for your usecase, this is literally best deal.

And if server needs to be available 24/7 because 7 videos are spread throughout the day then even 1vcore server will be enough, because you wont transcode in pararrel.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@bdspice said:

We offer the same 4 core (EPYC 7702/7742) based NVMe VPSes @ $12/mo (slightly cheaper than euro). The main difference is that it is NVMe disk instead of SSD but only 100GB of storage. Don't have to cancel in advance.

@noisycode said:
    2. 7702 is not a high frequency chip. It stays at 2GHz;

7702 is a 2GHz (2.25 for 7742/7B12) base, but they definitely boost higher if the headroom is there. It does not stay locked to 2GHz generally. Oddly enough, it's because of the fact that they often boost so well (especially 7742/7*12 variants) that we've been slowly discontinuing our high frequency line.

A couple of independent renderfarm users gave us extremely detailed internal feedback and we found that generally speaking they boost well enough to make our higher core-clock EPYC stuff obsolete in most cases. This is doubly true because we can toss more cores at their problems for the same dollars and have an extremely high expectation of good boost clocks.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • @crunchbits said: We offer the same 4 core (EPYC 7702/7742) based NVMe VPSes @ $12/mo (slightly cheaper than euro).

Very interesting offer, thanks. I wonder if "dedicated resources" on the banner indicates that cores of these plans are all dedicated and physical ones?

P.S., I have to say, Ryzen plans are even more attractive.

Waiting for some YABS :)

@crunchbits said: 7702 is a 2GHz (2.25 for 7742/7B12) base, but they definitely boost higher if the headroom is there. It does not stay locked to 2GHz generally.

Indeed. while from my experience (I've got quite some RS boxes), the single-core performance of RS series from netcup never hits 900 (according to G5), and some of them goes down to about 650, no better than the Great E5-v2s. I presume either some throttlings are there, or I've got some naughty "neighbors", who eats up every piece of room for boosting.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@noisycode said:

@crunchbits said: We offer the same 4 core (EPYC 7702/7742) based NVMe VPSes @ $12/mo (slightly cheaper than euro).

Very interesting offer, thanks. I wonder if "dedicated resources" on the banner indicates that cores of these plans are all dedicated and physical ones?

P.S., I have to say, Ryzen plans are even more attractive.

Waiting for some YABS :)

@crunchbits said: 7702 is a 2GHz (2.25 for 7742/7B12) base, but they definitely boost higher if the headroom is there. It does not stay locked to 2GHz generally.

Indeed. while from my experience (I've got quite some RS boxes), the single-core performance of RS series from netcup never hits 900 (according to G5), and some of them goes down to about 650, no better than the Great E5-v2s. I presume either some throttlings are there, or I've got some naughty "neighbors", who eats up every piece of room for boosting.

I think netcup started to oversell in last year and limit performance to hide it.
    Performance was way better before inflation.

I get better performance from Xeon v3 so I just dont use them anymore and also dont recommend it for computing.

• @AXYZE said:

I think netcup started to oversell in last year and limit performance to hide it.
    Performance was way better before inflation.

I get better performance from Xeon v3 so I just dont use them anymore and also dont recommend it for computing.

Hmm , a reasonable theory. TBH, I'm a happy customer with netcup, no complaints at such price with their solid service. But this theory does explain why they dodged my question about the significant differences in CPU performance. Anyway, I get what I pay for. A VPS with multicore score of 3600 (G5) costs only 17euro/mo is definitely a bargain, compared to physical Xeon v3 servers. While I should offload some of them, as the cost combined has exceeded that of a more powerful dedicated server.

• bdspicebdspice Member
    edited March 2023

@crunchbits said:

@bdspice said:

We offer the same 4 core (EPYC 7702/7742) based NVMe VPSes @ $12/mo (slightly cheaper than euro). The main difference is that it is NVMe disk instead of SSD but only 100GB of storage. Don't have to cancel in advance.

Your ryzen nvme vps seems more powerfull then high performance vps. but all your packages are lucrative. if you provide cpanel license as addon at discounted price like contabo or webtropia, then it will be best to deal to handle some shared server at such vps. but all of ryzen and high performance server are out of stock

• vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

If your video is on your home computer and not in the cloud it will be more convenient to build a local machine or even a laptop with GPU like Nvidia 1060 and use the GPU transcoding (cuda)

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • Where i can find VPS with GPU?