Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudNS slow lately?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudNS slow lately?

YKMYKM Member

Is it me or does Cloudns seem a bit slow on searching your domains and updating zones?

Comments

• Hmm, already moved from ClouDNS to Bunny DNS.

• YKMYKM Member

@febryanvaldo said: Hmm, already moved from ClouDNS to Bunny DNS

How are you finding it?

• @YKM said:

How are you finding it?

IDK, Bunny DNS pretty similar with ClouDNS. But CloudFlare is better overall.

• YKMYKM Member

@febryanvaldo said:

@YKM said:

How are you finding it?

IDK, Bunny DNS pretty similar with ClouDNS. But CloudFlare is better overall.

I am going to have to look into the market again then, thanks.

• @YKM said: I am going to have to look into the market again then, thanks.

Sure

Thanked by 1YKM
  • jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited March 2023

I don't have any problems with ClouDNS right now, but I will pay closer attention over the next few days and post an update if I notice something. Also, I'm using paid services there, not the free services, so that might be a factor. It has been very solid for me. I was just editing some zone details yesterday and it was smooth as butter.

As for Bunny DNS, I would not put them in the same class as ClouDNS at this point, but there is nothing bad about them. But for production, mission-critical stuff, I'd stick with ClouDNS over Bunny any day of the week. At least for now.

And just comparing the two, I find ClouDNS has many more features, and it supports all the specs I need for production DNS. Your needs may be different. And again, I'm using the paid version. Also, Bunny DNS is still technically in "preview", and as of the last time I checked it still doesn't support DNSSEC, and I found it to be sorely lacking in advanced features. Even the redirect didn't work well for me when I tried it and the stats have reset on me twice. So it's not something I'd trust 100% for critical stuff. Yet. And they don't claim perfection and still show a "preview" label on their DNS, so that's fine in my case. However, Bunny's actual performance and reliability has been fine, and I think eventually it will be a really good DNS service. But for now I consider it a backup kind of service.

Anyway, YMMV, and everyone needs different things.

Thanked by 2OhJohn DigitalFyre
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I haven’t noticed any problems. I just had to update a very large zone a few minutes ago.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

For us, searching via the web panel has defiantly been slower. however API use or updating/creating records seems to be the same. API operations seem to be also the same. Cant comment on actual DNS response times

• @Zappie said:
    For us, searching via the web panel has defiantly been slower.

Defiantly? Has an argumentative AI invaded the ClouDNS web panel? ;) JK

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@jlet88 said:

@Zappie said:

Haha damn fat fingers + auto correct killing me right now XD

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Zappie said:

@jlet88 said:

@Zappie said:

Haha damn fat fingers + auto correct killing me right now XD

Happens to me all the time. :D I just happen to love the "defiantly" auto-correct when it pops up, I couldn't resist a comment.

Thanked by 1Zappie
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@Zappie said: Cant comment on actual DNS response times

Are you using their DNS with anycast network? It should be a up to 10 ms globally, you may check latency using https://ping.sx/dig

• Tried their GeoDNS, didn't like it, it was all over the place. Rage4's is much more precise.
    In terms of zone updates, they are quite fast.

The only slow thing I've noticed, is their Redirect record. Since I'm using GeoDNS I have to avoid CNAME Flattening on the root of the domain by using the www subdomain, so the root has to redirect to the subdomain. Now instead of adding the IP of my machine that can be over 200ms away, I wanted to use CloudDNS's custom redirect record. The redirect can only happen at HTTP level, so they are forced to generate a SSL certificate for the domain. And that generation is REAAAAAALLY slow. Surprisingly so.

• YKMYKM Member

@jlet88 said:
    ……..Also, I'm using paid services there, not the free services, so that might be a factor. It has been very solid for me.

I am on a paid, it’s solid for sure, just updates with zones or searching for zones is slow, I manage maybe 1000, just feels like something changed.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @YKM said:

@jlet88 said:
    ……..Also, I'm using paid services there, not the free services, so that might be a factor. It has been very solid for me.

I am on a paid, it’s solid for sure, just updates with zones or searching for zones is slow, I manage maybe 1000, just feels like something changed.

Well I don't have 1000 zones there. That might also be a factor. Still working fine here, was editing today. Good luck, please update the thread if you find a resolution or find out something. ClouDNS should handle 1000 zones no problem, of course.