Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a market for Failover Wordpress Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a market for Failover Wordpress Hosting?

edited March 2023 in General

Hi All!

What do you guys think about a High Availability WordPress/Wowcomerce service?

• Two or more VPS/Containers in different regions
  • Load Balancing
  • DNS Anycast
  • CDN Include
  • Fully Managed

The price would be around $30/ to $50

WordPress Failover
  1. Is there a market for Failover Wordpress Hosting?21 votes
    1. Yeah, Sure!
      38.10%
    2. Nope, You are already late to the party!
      23.81%
    3. It depends on the price
      38.10%

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Ask your-self - can you make better than kinsta or wpengine? The answer is no.

But as always, you can try.

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2023

@LTniger said:

Are they HA?

I don’t think they are.

Also: ”Managed Wordpress hosting - Prohostia.com”

• LeviLevi Member

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:

Are they HA?

I don’t think they are.

Afaik they use gc or aws infra. You can't get better for the price they charge.

• emghemgh Member

@LTniger said:

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:

Are they HA?

I don’t think they are.

That’s not HA by definition.

• LeviLevi Member

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:

Are they HA?

I don’t think they are.

That’s not HA by definition.

If you seek definitions for hosting - by all means, yes, proceed.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • I think HA is much more required for other mission critical applications and DB servers. How many of them will be willing to spend 5X for making 99.98 to 100%?

Thanked by 1RemarkableGuille
  • emghemgh Member

Anyway this is a much better comparison to the idea than WPEngine/Kinsta:

https://massivegrid.com/explore-our-hosting/high-availability-wordpress-hosting/

And it’s kind of cheap too.

I hated their support, was a client for a few days. Quit.

Thanked by 1RemarkableGuille
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@sreekanth850 said: spend 5X

I only spent 3x to make my wordpress HA. And by 3x I mean "still under $15/month".

I used to use a 2-node DRBD+MySQL replication+RRDNS...as described here.

However I just rebuilt things and should probably do a new tut.

The previous 2-node design works just fine but I dislike MySQL's replication because it's so fiddly to setup.

My new architecture is:

• 3-node Debian with nginx
    • Galera for MariaDB multi-master replication
    • GlusterFS for a multi-master replicated volume shared by all hosts for files
    • RRDNS

This is all hosted at Hetzner in Hillsboro, OR since it's < 20ms from my house and quite convenient for me.

I could use a Hetzner load balancer instead of RRDNS which would be more convenient for setting up new hosts, but with Porkbun's API, I've got everything automated already.

Now granted this is not anycast, super-low-latency from anywhere in the world, etc. But for me it's enough. I could setup further replications but...I don't get much traffic LOL and the HA is total overkill.

Someone could do the same setup with any host that offers block storage (Vultr, Scaleway, BuyVM, etc.). I suppose in in theory you could use host by using a loopback for the block storage but I wouldn't recommend it.

Multi-master might not be required for everyone, which would drastically simplify things - for example, for a non-interactive brochure-type site (or one where users do not login, comment, etc.)

• @LTniger said:

From a technical point of view, YES! the real challenge is to promote better than then

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:

WPEngine goes down allllll the time.