Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bunny.net Stream: Tips, Tricks, and Gotchas
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bunny.net Stream: Tips, Tricks, and Gotchas

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

New video from Piotr on his experience setting up Bunny.net Stream. What went right, what went wrong, and what he recommends. Love the service @BunnySpeed 🐰🎥🟠

Comments

• harrisonharrison Member
    edited March 2023

free DRM option which successfully blocks video downloaderss, video plugins...

yt-dlp: "ahem.."

Thanks for the video @AXYZE

Thanked by 3AXYZE MikeA dragon1993
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited March 2023

When is @AXYZE getting a member title for this hard work? Practically the face of LEB on youtube

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member

@Erisa said:
    When is @AXYZE getting a member title for this hard work? Practically the face of LEB on youtube

😇 i hope you like my videos so far, more crazy projects coming soon :)

Thanked by 3daffy Erisa commercial
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2023

Still no live stream or HLS Live support, so basically worthless.

You can only serve static files via upload, so basically just an overly expensive VOD

CDNVideo is lightyears better with live stream support and is not just limited to VOD.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

@stefeman said:
    CDNVideo is lightyears better with live stream support and is not just limited to VOD.

Are you talking about Russian company that is making infra for all Russian government-owned media?

Either way - what's their pricing for transfer? Cannot find this online.

edited March 2023

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

Are you talking about Russian company that is making infra for all Russian government-owned media?

Bad defense argument. At least it works.

or you could just use Gcore.

When they are only cheap alternatives, why not?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@stefeman said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

or gcore.

Basically, when they are only cheap alternatives that work, why not?

Can you share information about their transfer pricing? Cause with bunny its just $0.005/GB, im sceptical that anyone can be cheaper and deliver worldwide CDN at the same time.

• @AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

or gcore.

Can you share information about their transfer pricing? Cause with bunny its just $0.005/GB, im sceptical that anyone can be cheaper and deliver worldwide CDN at the same time.

Im not sure if you missed the point. No matter how cheap bunnycdn is, its still worthless with no live streaming.

Of course it costs more cause it has more functionality, but they are still cheap.

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

No matter how cheap bunnycdn is, its still worthless with no live streaming.

Just get a $1/mo vps, then host an OwnCast server on it and use Bunny.net as the CDN.

edited March 2023

@BasToTheMax said:

No matter how cheap bunnycdn is, its still worthless with no live streaming.

Just get a $1/mo vps, then host an OwnCast server on it and use Bunny.net as the CDN.

Do you even use their service? they only accept fileuploads, no support for dynamic live content.

It doesent matter even if I relay it via OwnCast, bunnycdn needs a static video file with expected ending to work.

• LeviLevi Member

Stefen argues that bunny lacks very important feature - live stream. In part he is correct, but this will come in future I guess. Bunny is still very young company and competitors are insanely big and experienced.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@stefeman said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

or gcore.

Im not sure if you missed the point. No matter how cheap bunnycdn is, its still worthless with no live streaming.

Of course it costs more cause it has more functionality, but they are still cheap.

My video is about video hosting/VoD.

You have wrote that Bunny is "basically just an overly expensive VOD" thats why I ask you for pricing if you said that other solution was better.

Personally I refuse to give money to such companies as I'm personally affected by Russian politics, but for sake of objectivity I try to get answer from you, because I, as reviewer shouldn't put feelings above what product is the best. I can just inform about it, everyone has free mind and can decide if they care.

So what point have I missed? That you are rating VoD platform as bad and expensive, because there is another company that also does livestream which is completly different market?
    I never touched livestreams, I have no idea what is the best for them nor I ever rated BunnyCDN as best livestreaming solution. I rate them as VoD solution.

Look - AWS can do much more than everyone else, yet I would never wrote that Hetzner is useless, because they don't have managed DB like Amazon when I would rate their VPSes or dedis. So maybe I don't get your point, but if Bunny is expensive then please show me solution that will give me worldwide CDN and such great features, because I would love to save more money or get better product to VoD.

You can be sure that I will do followup video then! :)

Thanked by 1hampered
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

This site says that traffic in CDNvideo is $0.05 per GB, so BunnyCDN is 10x cheaper.
    https://www.cdnplanet.com/compare/cdnvideo/bunnycdn/
    On top of that you need to do contract which is $50/mo minimum.
    How it is even remotely comparable to Bunny where whole bill is $25 monthly for 1TB replicated storage on two continents + 1TB transfer?

• Yes, for VOD uploads, bunnycdn is indeed the cheapest currently.

• adlyadly Veteran

@AXYZE how about Gcore? Seems cheaper and does live streaming, if needed.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

@adly said:

Gcore is billed by minute
    Bunny Stream is billed by GB

Lets calcualte for 1TB of content + 1TB of transfer and 8Mbps bitrate.
    (60MB per minute x 16600 minutes = 0.996TB)

Gcore Storage is 0.003euro per minute
    x 16600 = 49.8 Euro

Gcore Streaming is 0.001euro per minute
    x 16600 = 16.6 Euro

Bunny Stream is $10 for storage in single DC, $20 for georeplication.
    Streaming itself is $5 per TB.

So if you have 8Mbps bitrate then Bunny starts at $15 for 1TB+1TB.
    If you will have 16Mbps bitrate then Bunny costs will cost $30.

Gcore Storage + Streaming is 66.4Euro no matter the bitrate.

So how does Gcore seems cheaper for you? You share VoDs with 50Mbps bitrate?

Thanked by 1lll
  • @stefeman said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

or gcore.

Depends on use cases, for us we only need VOD, like we record upload and stream it and we find bunny to be cheap compared to any other providers. And yes they are working on Websockets for real time applications and VOD. They had confirmed this but didn't gave an ETA for this.

• @AXYZE said:

@adly said:

x 16600 = 49.8 Euro

x 16600 = 16.6 Euro

For storage if you upload a 1 GB file it will become 5x when you transcode it in bunny. That's the issue with per gb billing.

Thanked by 1adly
  • BingoBongoBingoBongo Member
    edited March 2023

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

Seriously? Is this necessary to make each and every topic political?

I'm not russian but based on your reply world must stop using Google, Microsoft or any American company as they are belongs to a country who destroyed countries like Iraq, Syria and many other countries using lies and conspiracy theories!!??

We should stick to the topic.

We have a separate thread for this shit

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@sreekanth850 said:

@AXYZE said:

@adly said:

x 16600 = 49.8 Euro

x 16600 = 16.6 Euro

For storage if you upload a 1 GB file it will become 5x when you transcode it in bunny. That's the issue with per gb billing.

Indeed I missed that additional transcodes take space on Bunny, but there's no way it will be 5x unless you're putting the same bitrate for 240p as for 4K.

@BingoBongo said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

I'm not russian but based on your reply world must stop using Google, Microsoft or any American company as they are belongs to a country who destroyed countries like Iraq, Syria and many other countries using lies and conspiracy theories!!??

I've just asked him if that's the one he is talking about, chill out. I've even stated that I don't give a fuck about that when I'm reviewing product. No need for this whataboutism.

• @BingoBongo said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

No it's actually a valid point. There are alternatives to CDNVideo and I had no idea its hosting so much stuff for russian government.

While you can't really avoid using google and microsoft, or avoiding them is hard in day to day stuff, I can easily choose another live stream supporting platform.

• @stefeman said:

@BingoBongo said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

No it's actually a valid point. There are alternatives to CDNVideo and I had no idea its hosting so much stuff for russian government.

While you can't really avoid using google and microsoft, or avoiding them is hard in day to day stuff, I can easily choose another live stream supporting platform.

Cloudflare stream is way cheaper than this. Its actually like bunny stream in terms of pricing.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited March 2023

@sreekanth850 said:

@stefeman said:

@BingoBongo said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

Cloudflare stream is way cheaper than this. Its actually like bunny stream in terms of pricing.

Cloudflare Stream storage is 57% more expensive than Gcore, idk if you host 100Mbps videos or what that their pricing is like Bunny Stream.

I've tested both Stream and R2 options. Stream is serious cash cow for Cloudflare, it is not affordable at all.
    R2 has free egress so it will be great for tube sites, maybe select VoD sites with high viewership per video, but lack of replication and no distribution via CDN (at least for now, it was supposed to be fixed when it became GA but nah, if you create bucket near bucket in EU then data will always stay in Frankfurt) kills it for such high volume uses. Free egress is not a huge plus if there's no CDN or replication at all, you could just rent dedi and install MinIO at this point and pay 80% less.

• @AXYZE said:

@sreekanth850 said:

@stefeman said:

@BingoBongo said:

@AXYZE said:

@stefeman said:

Cloudflare Stream storage is 57% more expensive than Gcore, idk if you host 100Mbps videos or what that their pricing is like Bunny Stream.

I've tested both Stream and R2 options. Stream is serious cash cow for Cloudflare, it is not affordable at all.
    R2 has free egress so it will be great for tube sites, maybe select VoD sites with high viewership per video, but lack of replication and no distribution via CDN (at least for now, it was supposed to be fixed when it became GA but nah, if you create bucket near bucket in EU then data will always stay in Frankfurt) kills it for such high volume uses. Free egress is not a huge plus if there's no CDN or replication at all, you could just rent dedi and install MinIO at this point and pay 90% less.

Yeah, I calculated with small sized videos. But we decided to go with bunnycdn. Their support is awesome and very helpful for us.

• I'm wondering if I should move a hundred videos (400mins) to bunny cdn from Cloudflare stream, currently pay $5 a month which is the minimum for stream and I stay under the minimum...so $1 a month minimum seems much more appealing especially if I think it will sit there for years or get more traffic...

• @hampered said:
    I'm wondering if I should move a hundred videos (400mins) to bunny cdn from Cloudflare stream, currently pay $5 a month which is the minimum for stream and I stay under the minimum...so $1 a month minimum seems much more appealing especially if I think it will sit there for years or get more traffic...

Bunny charge for egress at 0.005/GB/month and storage at 0.02 /GB for storage for 2 regions. So try to see how much of storage u need and also remember that the actual storage will be calculated on the transcoded files which will be 3 to 4X of the original video file that you upload.

Thanked by 1hampered
  • @BunnySpeed any response?

• So I did a test with 5 videos that I have and on average it seems like about 100mb per minute of stored video (5 different versions). So I work it out as 40GB or $0.80 a month to store what I have and I think you could watch them all twice which would be 800min or $0.20 a month. So for $1 a month, I get the same value as Cloudflare stream, but so far the UI in bunny stream is way easier to use, I just need to try out the API and if that's okay, will migrate over. I also feel like the user experience streaming is better as well, I feel like it ramps up the quality whereas Cloudflare defaults to a higher quality.