Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 400 Watt for Air Conditioning required for this server? Colocation Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is 400 Watt for Air Conditioning required for this server? Colocation Help

Hello,

I was looking for colocation in germany I think everyone knows because i posted here for each and every issue lol. Well, it's too tough to find out a good, friendly, affordable colocation provider in Germany. Most of them have pretty costly pricing and some are too big providers who do not offer colocation for 1U.

Basically, I am going to host this server:
1x 813MFTQC-350CB2
1x H12SSL-i
1x EPYC 7282
1x SNK-P0062P
8x 32GB DDR4 ECC Reg 3200MHz
1x Samsung PM9A3 3.84TB M.2 NVMe
1x RSC-RR1U-E16

I came across 23M, talked to them and they have provided me an offer.
Their offer was like this:
https://prnt.sc/2sQFFfTltAwF

400 Watt for Air Conditioning, UPS and Emergency Power Supply Unit etc. Additionally they charge per kWH 0.59€
The cost only including 400 Watt for Air Conditioning, UPS and Emergency + BGP Session + IP subnet announcement is nearly 150 € + They will charge separately per kWh @ 0.59€ which will make this colo too costly.

My question is, is 400 watt required for cooling? I seen a few provider's colocation offer they didn't mention these. They simply mention like 1 AMP @ 120V like this.

I can't understand what they mean. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

They can't provide you separate cooling in the same datacenter & I assume they don't have any exceptional technology for that. The cooling price should have been included with their power pricing. However, they might be doing billing like this. So, if you think it's high, you have options to look for alternatives.

• You do not need any exceptional "cooling" for your machine.
    Good airflow and fresh air will be enough.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Generally that is just rolled into the cost of power/colo (always marked up for mechanical/hvac). Maybe they do billing in a unique way but 400W of cooling is also quite exceptional for the server specs posted.

• Surely this is just 400W of power that you can use for any of those listed things?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Have you been in touch with @vserversite (https://vserver.site/de/colocation.html) already? They should be able to make you a better offer.

There's also nbiserv (https://www.nbiserv.de/de/shop/housing) but I don't think they have a rep here.

More costly but good people: @meerfarbig https://colorhost.de/housing/

• @brueggus said:
    Have you been in touch with @vserversite (https://vserver.site/de/colocation.html) already? They should be able to make you a better offer.

There's also nbiserv (https://www.nbiserv.de/de/shop/housing) but I don't think they have a rep here.

More costly but good people: @meerfarbig https://colorhost.de/housing/

vserver.site looks very new. They use myLoc I have sent them mail already they didn't responded yet.

• @Harmony said:
    Surely this is just 400W of power that you can use for any of those listed things?

Maybe, but they say they'll charge additionally for electricity usage 0.59€ per kWh as mentioned on their website.

It makes the colo pretty costly.

• @crunchbits said:
    Generally that is just rolled into the cost of power/colo (always marked up for mechanical/hvac). Maybe they do billing in a unique way but 400W of cooling is also quite exceptional for the server specs posted.

How much do you think this server may require?

• 400 watts of air conditioning doesn't sound like very much at all.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Frankfurt is a bit different in terms of colocation space - instead of presenting you with a total cost per kwh (which includes electricity + the cooling required) - providers often split the two - so if you have a server that consumes 400W of electricity you do not pay a single amount for power+cooling, but rather - 400W of power billed per kwh and than 400W of cooling, billed separately.

I also do not think you need 400W for this server, more like 150-200W.

• @dahartigan said:
    400 watts of air conditioning doesn't sound like very much at all.

But the cost does. 150 EUR per month for 400 watt. That's too much. + per kWh 0.59€

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@titaniumboy said:

@dahartigan said:

But the cost does. 150 EUR per month for 400 watt. That's too much. + per kWh 0.59€

It is a bit more expensive than I would expect, but for just 400w power, you are looking at ~280 eur per month cost in any good datacenter in most bigger cities with the current power pricing.

Then add the space, network, IPs, BGP, profit for the provider.

You also need to consider that most datacenters allow 4-6kw per rack, so they can only have 10 servers in the whole rack if all they had were 400w servers (that's not the exact math but you get the idea).

We're in a funny situation in a few DCs actually - Equinix NY2 for example allows 2.5kw per rack (unless you get special permission), so we can put in 3-4 nodes per rack, and that's it.

I asked Clouvider for a quote for a full rack in London and they basically said no, they are not going to quote anything until the power pricing settles down.

Colo in the current market conditions is hard and complicated. You cannot just take the cheapest deal someone is offering on WHT and compare it with the big-name DCs in major cities.

• @titaniumboy said:

@dahartigan said:

Nobody claims running servers is cheap.

• dusstdusst Member
    edited March 2023

@titaniumboy said:

400 Watt for Air Conditioning, UPS and Emergency Power Supply Unit etc. Additionally they charge per kWH 0.59€

once more.. it's not "400 Watt for Air Conditioning"... it's a "cooling of 400W-powered device" included in yours colo fee..

if it's not clear to you , you can ask a provider
    if colo fee is high - there are lot other dcs around frankfurt

• @dahartigan said:

@titaniumboy said:

@dahartigan said:

Nobody claims running servers is cheap.

I don't claim either. but the prices are a bit expensive. For this server I was expecting quite cheaper. Some server provider may even give the same config server on monthly basis at the price I will pay for colocation and all things.

We are purchasing colo so that we can save in long term and can have our own hardware. Spending money just to have own hardware doesn't makes any sense. I saw a few providers in US, they're offering colo for this server at low cost and by that cost i can easily cover up the cost i have paid for the server within few years.

I am looking for colo in germany because German networks have less ping time here as compared to US and other country networks.

• @dusst said:

@titaniumboy said:

once more.. it's not "400 Watt for Air Conditioning"... it's a "cooling of 400W-powered device" included in yours colo fee..

if it's not clear to you , you can ask a provider
    if colo fee is high - there are lot other dcs around frankfurt

Frankfurt is not must. Any german location, any data center who's reliable, stable and affordable and have good network. Must have decent ping time in India.

I've checked on datacentermap, most of the data centers listed are big like Equinix, Interxion. Some are mentioned who's cost are almost double from other country providers and some do not even respond.

Finding a colo provider in Germany is too tough.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What specs do you need, other than the colo+power? We can host you over at our NUE location under AS203380 - https://lgde.alphavps.com

• @AlexBarakov said:
    What specs do you need, other than the colo+power? We can host you over at our NUE location under AS203380 - https://lgde.alphavps.com

I have sent you pm.

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Are you just looking for Germany only or other EU location will work.

• @ManishPant said:
    Are you just looking for Germany only or other EU location will work.

Germany only