Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS

I see a lot of offers for storage vps, but not sure how to use it, besides sending files via sftp. How could I use it to extend the storage size of a vps I already own. Would it have to be with the same provider? Do you mount it somehow. Thanks in advance.

Thanked by 1greentea

Comments

• There are multiple ways to mount it to your other server, the performance depends on network between those 2 servers.

If you would be using it for media like Plex storage, nextcould etc it will work fine even if network is not the best, while something with a lot of random small writes/reads like database is not suitable on such storage.

Thanked by 2melp57 greentea
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@drizbo is right

I personally have an LA storage VPS mounted over SSHFS to a VPS in Tokyo and it works fine for Plex. Not sure about your use case though

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited March 2023

A storage VPS might not be best choice if you just want to extend the storage of an existing VPS. It's not a substitute for cloud storage and not as reliable for data storage as a decent cloud provider.

Storage VPSs are normally used for services ‏which deals with large amount of data (like torrenting, media servers and some type of websites) and initially require the computing resources of a VPS for running.

To your question, rclone gives multiple options for mounting.

• @bruh21 said:
    @drizbo is right

I personally have an LA storage VPS mounted over SSHFS to a VPS in Tokyo and it works fine for Plex. Not sure about your use case though

Could you give a brief overview of how to set up?

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@melp57 said:

@bruh21 said:
    @drizbo is right

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sshfs-to-mount-remote-file-systems-over-ssh

This should suffice. I went with sshfs because it was easy and didnt really require any extra setup on the storage VM besides my SSH credentials.

• @bruh21 said:

@melp57 said:

@bruh21 said:
    @drizbo is right

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-sshfs-to-mount-remote-file-systems-over-ssh

This should suffice. I went with sshfs because it was easy and didnt really require any extra setup on the storage VM besides my SSH credentials.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

• Setup Wireguard and FTP server
    Connect 2 servers with wireguard.
    Mount FTP server with Rclone.

Enjoy fast and secure file transfer with min loss and min cpu load.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Alternatively, sign up with a host that offers block storage volumes, and then you can resize at will. Vultr, Hetzner, Buyvm, etc.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited March 2023

For that use case you probably want iSCSI over WireGuard

If you want multiple connections then NFS (over WireGuard)

If you want simplicity then rclone mount sftp
    Don’t use sshfs - rclone mount is better

Thanked by 3bdl melp57 ariq01
  • @darkimmortal said:
    For that use case you probably want iSCSI over WireGuard

If you want multiple connections then NFS (over WireGuard)

If you want simplicity then rclone mount sftp
    Don’t use sshfs - rclone mount is better

Excellent concept thanks for your time!