Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is 23M Telehouse Frankfurt DC Colo? Reviews and Suggestions Required
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How is 23M Telehouse Frankfurt DC Colo? Reviews and Suggestions Required

Hello,

Planning to colocate my AMD EPYC server which will be used for virtualization purpose in 23M.com

Anyone using them for colocation? How are they?
We will be using it for selling vps in india.

Are there any power outages in their dc or any networking issues?

Comments

• it's telehouse, an tier3 facility and not myloc, hetzner, ovh or some other cheapo dc. 23m is legit, no outages. i heard rumours, that the dogado group is about to buy them.

i would go with ip-projects.de, they have a way better network and they use the ntt fra-1 dc, which is also better. mail them for a custom quote

• AXYZEAXYZE Member

@NDTN is using them for GreenCloud, maybe he will share his opinion :)

Thanked by 2NDTN greentea
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

They are great, one of the best DCs we have been working with so far. No power/network issues since the start, but they are not cheap. You will need to pay premium, for example, they charge 0.59 euro/kWh.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

If it's just a single server I'm assuming you are working with a third party provider which should save you a lot of headaches.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@PureVoltage said:
    If it's just a single server I'm assuming you are working with a third party provider which should save you a lot of headaches.

23m is technically a 3rd party provider, as they have their own cages in Telehouse FRA.

Anyway, I've visited them on-site a couple of months ago, and everything looked good on-site as well. Telehouse campus is a bit of a maze. All in all - they are at the top/near the top of my list for FRA providers currently.

• I am gonna host this server:

1x 813MFTQC-350CB2
    1x H12SSL-i
    1x EPYC 7282
    1x SNK-P0062P
    8x 32GB DDR4 ECC Reg 3200MHz
    1x Samsung PM9A3 3.84TB M.2 NVMe
    1x RSC-RR1U-E16

23m.com is providing 400 Watt power of air conditioning, UPS and emergency power.
    Additionally they'll also charge for per kWh 0.59€ which makes it too expensive.
    https://prnt.sc/2sQFFfTltAwF
    I can't understand, is that much power needed for air conditioning?

• @titaniumboy said:
    I am gonna host this server:

1x 813MFTQC-350CB2
    1x H12SSL-i
    1x EPYC 7282
    1x SNK-P0062P
    8x 32GB DDR4 ECC Reg 3200MHz
    1x Samsung PM9A3 3.84TB M.2 NVMe
    1x RSC-RR1U-E16

23m.com is providing 400 Watt power of air conditioning, UPS and emergency power.
    Additionally they'll also charge for per kWh 0.59€ which makes it too expensive.
    https://prnt.sc/2sQFFfTltAwF

@NDTN can you guide me regarding this? I checked a few colo providers they do not share for air conditioning or something like that?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2023

@titaniumboy said:

You aren't paying for air con directly. But that's one thing that needs paid for, and they'll figure out what they need to charge you based on your power usage.

Your power usage impacts how much heat your kit produces, which impacts how much air con is needed. Your power usage also impacts how much ups capacity is needed, etc.

No matter whether air con is listed on your quote, it's a factor in the price given to you wherever you colo, unless it's somewhere where there's year round ambient cooling like those underwater datacenters Microsoft trialed a few years ago (as far as I'm aware, no such option exists publicly).

• titaniumboytitaniumboy Member
    edited March 2023

@jackb said:

@titaniumboy said:

You aren't paying for air con directly. But that's one thing that needs paid for, and they'll figure out what they need to charge you based on your power usage.

Your power usage impacts how much heat your kit produces, which impacts how much air con is needed. Your power usage also impacts how much ups capacity is needed, etc.

No matter whether air con is listed on your quote, it's a factor in the price given to you wherever you colo, unless it's somewhere where there's year round ambient cooling like those underwater datacenters Microsoft trialed a few years ago (as far as I'm aware, no such option exists publicly).

The cost for 1U colocation with 400 watt power for air conditioning, UPS and emergency power etc. with BGP session and IP subnet announcement is nearly 150 EUR/month + some setup fee.
    Then they cost 0.59 EUR additionally on electricity consumption of the server.

I asked them they confirmed "You don't buy electricity, you buy units with power supply for air conditioning, UPS and emergency power. Electricity costs will be charged separately with 0.59 EUR per kWh consumed.".

With all combined the colo would be pretty pricey

• Not got any colo yet you're telling me a random offer I pull of WHT for

===============================

* 10U / 5A - $299/Month + Set Up Fee *

10U Shared Cabinet
    5Amp @ 208V
    Single Phase, UPS and Generator backed circuit
    /30 IP addresses
    10Mbps DEDICATED Bandwidth
    100Mbps DEDICATED internet port
    Multi-Homed network
    FREE 24/7 Reboots
    FREE Basic remote hands
    24/7 Advanced remote hands (Discounted)
    100% Power Uptime SLA
    99.99% Network uptime SLA

Does not include cost for cooling?

• @Harmony said:
    Not got any colo yet you're telling me a random offer I pull of WHT for

===============================

* 10U / 5A - $299/Month + Set Up Fee *

10U Shared Cabinet
    5Amp @ 208V
    Single Phase, UPS and Generator backed circuit
    /30 IP addresses
    10Mbps DEDICATED Bandwidth
    100Mbps DEDICATED internet port
    Multi-Homed network
    FREE 24/7 Reboots
    FREE Basic remote hands
    24/7 Advanced remote hands (Discounted)
    100% Power Uptime SLA
    99.99% Network uptime SLA

Does not include cost for cooling?

I too didn't seen any colo offer including pricing like that. That's why am asking here

• dusstdusst Member
    1. every dc use cooling (not always ac, but fans always work ) , and it needs electricity, and it always includes in price of colo
    2. but by fact different 1U equipment needs different coooling.

so usually DC owners calculate cooling part in colocation fee based on average and don't show it to clients, and colo fee/unit not depends on unit power.

but germans are germans, and you pay for what you have, and their bill show you that the fee depends on your equipment power: less power you need, less heat you produce - less fee for colocation you get..
    they make you love greta tumberg and greenpeace.

• @dusst said:
    1. every dc use cooling (not always ac, but fans always work ) , and it needs electricity, and it always includes in price of colo
    2. but by fact different 1U equipment needs different coooling.

so usually DC owners calculate cooling part in colocation fee based on average and don't show it to clients, and colo fee/unit not depends on unit power.

but germans are germans, and you pay for what you have, and their bill show you that the fee depends on your equipment power: less power you need, less heat you produce - less fee for colocation you get..
    they make you love greta tumberg and greenpeace.

strange. im confused what to do lol, sent request for offers to few other data centers. if the colocation will cost that much then it makes no sense to colocate

• They give 1 Gbit/s Uplink but Bandwidth only 250 Mbit/s and charge each further Mbit €0.35 That's too costly!

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@titaniumboy said:
    They give 1 Gbit/s Uplink but Bandwidth only 250 Mbit/s and charge each further Mbit €0.35 That's too costly!

0,35€ per Mbit is a good pricing, at least if you dont commit that much. You can expect the same if you only commit 1G with most quality Tier-2 Carriers.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Also if it's billed on 95th-percentile then you still get to burst but watch out.

• @combahton_it said:

@titaniumboy said:
    They give 1 Gbit/s Uplink but Bandwidth only 250 Mbit/s and charge each further Mbit €0.35 That's too costly!

0,35€ per Mbit is a good pricing, at least if you dont commit that much. You can expect the same if you only commit 1G with most quality Tier-2 Carriers.

@tomle said:
    Also if it's billed on 95th-percentile then you still get to burst but watch out.

Ain't 250 Mbit/s is a pretty low bandwidth if want to host a virtualization server for creating a few dozens of VPS. The VPS will host websites which will have traffic.

https://23m.com/en/colocation

When selecting 10 GE Uplink, there's no price increase but they charge for Included Bandwidth (95%) So basically, they're providing 10 GE Uplink for no extra charge but they provide only 250 Mbit/s Included Bandwidth by default, if any of the VPS get hit by a small DDoS then I guess it would be trouble for all VPS?

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@titaniumboy said:

@combahton_it said:

@titaniumboy said:

@tomle said:

Ain't 250 Mbit/s is a pretty low bandwidth if want to host a virtualization server for creating a few dozens of VPS. The VPS will host websites which will have traffic.

https://23m.com/en/colocation

When selecting 10 GE Uplink, there's no price increase but they charge for Included Bandwidth (95%) So basically, they're providing 10 GE Uplink for no extra charge but they provide only 250 Mbit/s Included Bandwidth by default, if any of the VPS get hit by a small DDoS then I guess it would be trouble for all VPS?

Well, I think you understand something wrong. 95/5 is just the billing type, while you have a 1G or 10G uplink there - thats typical. For example if we get an uplink with a Carrier, they will require us for example to commit 10% Mbit 95/5 (for example 40000Mbit on 4x 100G Port), while we can fully use the 400G for burst, extra charges might be apply though if we're above the 5% possible bursts (36h per month free burst basically).

Thanked by 1bruh21