Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle OCI "Always Free" VPS. Why anything else? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle OCI "Always Free" VPS. Why anything else?

1235»

Comments

• I chose Singapoer as my home region and it seems that I will never get an ARM instance.

• @dennishk said:
    I chose Singapoer as my home region and it seems that I will never get an ARM instance.

You should be able to get one once they kick all the idlers out. Try the smallest option a few times a day tho, you will grab one sooner or later.

• @blackeye said:

@TimboJones said:

@emg said:
    Well, I tried to create an instance comparable to a typical VPS here. I was unable to do so. I kept getting errors while Oracle tried to create them.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier is becoming more effort than it is worth. I still don't have something comparable to a VPS I could get here for a few dollars a month.

I will try again another day, before they close my account for inactivity. :-(

What error? Out of capacity?

Do you have solution for out of capacity ?

SOL.

Shit out of luck.

• im curious, what about people who have been upgrade to PAYG, do they still have difficulty to grab 4Arm 24GB? especially SG region

• @ElonBezos said:
    im curious, what about people who have been upgrade to PAYG, do they still have difficulty to grab 4Arm 24GB? especially SG region

Because they (Oracle) are Out of Capacity.

Thanked by 1ElonBezos
  • @giang said:

@ElonBezos said:
    im curious, what about people who have been upgrade to PAYG, do they still have difficulty to grab 4Arm 24GB? especially SG region

Because they (Oracle) are Out of Capacity.

ah, so that's it, at first I thought this OOC gimmick was just their way of forcing us to upgrade our membership to PAYG

• I was able to create ARM instances in SG after upgrading to PAYG

• emgemg Veteran

@TimboJones said:
    What error? Out of capacity?

Yes. Out of capacity.

I tried again this morning, taking notes. I created a compute instance and changed from ARM to AMD and from 8 Gbytes RAM down to 4 Gbytes. I tried all three "availability domains" in Phoenix. All three yielded "Out of capacity" errors.

Changing the compute instance to Intel yielded "An unexpected error occurred." with no additional description or descriptive information.
    -> The unexpected error appeared for two out of three availability domains, but I succeeded on the third availability domain.

At this point, I have a working instance and was able to connect using my SSH public key. In the Oracle Linux 9 instance that I created, the "sudo" command does not prompt for a password from the default "opc" account, so you have effective "root" from the start.

It took too much patience and persistence, but I finally succeeded in obtaining an Oracle Free Tier account with a running VPS.

Oracle Cloud configuration options are many, varied, and complex, so I am facing a learning curve about network configuration, firewall, etc. For some, it is a chore, but for me, it will be a fun experience.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited February 2023

I have been trying out Oracle Cloud Free Tier for the past couple weeks. I have an Intel instance, but it is slowly draining the 30-day $300 free trial money. I have $285 left, but that still translates into a $20 per month VPS. I can do much better here from providers on LowEndTalk. (Edit, adding: ... and with far less complexity to deal with.)

I have not requested an ARM instance yet. The ARM instances offer more cores and RAM, which can be distributed among several instances if desired. I have nothing against ARM other than my own inexperience with it and Linux. My concern is software compatibility. Admittedly it is only a small concern.

I have not succeeded in obtaining an AMD instance, which still results "out of capacity" or "an unexpected error" messages. I learned that the AMD instances are limited to 1 Gbyte RAM in the free tier. This webpage helped me understand what is in the free tier and what is not:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

Here are questions for you:
    Which of the two main operating system distro offerings works best in a low RAM environment?
    Which would you pick for an AMD instance with 1 Gbyte if you had to choose between:

• Oracle Linux (basically, RedHat)
    • Ubuntu (which has roots in Debian)?

Follow-up Question:
    For ARM, which of the above two distros would you choose?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@emg said:
    I have been trying out Oracle Cloud Free Tier for the past couple weeks. I have an Intel instance, but it is slowly draining the 30-day $300 free trial money. I have $285 left, but that still translates into a $20 per month VPS. I can do much better here from providers on LowEndTalk. (Edit, adding: ... and with far less complexity to deal with.)

I have not requested an ARM instance yet. The ARM instances offer more cores and RAM, which can be distributed among several instances if desired. I have nothing against ARM other than my own inexperience with it and Linux. My concern is software compatibility. Admittedly it is only a small concern.

I have not succeeded in obtaining an AMD instance, which still results "out of capacity" or "an unexpected error" messages. I learned that the AMD instances are limited to 1 Gbyte RAM in the free tier. This webpage helped me understand what is in the free tier and what is not:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm

Here are questions for you:
    Which of the two main operating system distro offerings works best in a low RAM environment?
    Which would you pick for an AMD instance with 1 Gbyte if you had to choose between:

• Oracle Linux (basically, RedHat)
    • Ubuntu (which has roots in Debian)?

Follow-up Question:
    For ARM, which of the above two distros would you choose?

Provision Ubuntu on both varients, then use Debi script to switch to Debian minimal. Easy.

Thanked by 1emg
  • Oracle Sydney seems to have plenty of 'capacity' been on a free account for a year, created & destroyed over 20 VM's in that period, never once had to wait for any setup or come back & try again later.

Thanked by 1emg
  • emgemg Veteran

@beanman109 said:
    Oracle Sydney seems to have plenty of 'capacity' been on a free account for a year, created & destroyed over 20 VM's in that period, never once had to wait for any setup or come back & try again later.

I chose Phoenix. It is close to home. I assumed it would have more capacity than most sites.

• tedtomatotedtomato Member
    edited August 2023

10 months now and still no issues with OCI and my four servers.

Nothing deleted, nothing stopped, no downtime, perfect performance, perfect network speed. Unbeatable.

I did upgrade to a PAYG account, and I make sure I incur a small charge each month (around £2 for 4 VPS). I also don't breach the TOS.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • I'm using OCI now for 18 months, so far the best solid cloud computing platform with a lot of extra tools. I'm paying monthly €5 for some extra storage, will also pay for "smtp relay".

I also use my own and some other provider to spread the risk.

Thanked by 1tedtomato