Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider in Europe for Openmediavault OMV
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider in Europe for Openmediavault OMV

Hi,
is it wise to have installed Openmediavault on a VPS (from privacy and security point of view)?
If yes, do you have a strong recommendation for a certain VPS provider? Preferably Europe (Germany) - just for speed.
I'll be needing at least 512 GB Hard drive. Budget: 5-7 Euros/month.
I know there are the Storage boxes from Hetzner, but I thought OMV gives a little more than backups and it could be fun to experiment a little with it.
I was looking at buyvm in Luxembourg, but they're almost always out of stock...
Thank you in advance.

Privacy and security = backup Photos and some not so sensitive documents

Comments

• I don't think you'll be able to get 512GB or more for that budget. You could however get a cheap VPS and connect a Hetzner storage box. If you tinker with the numbers you can fit it.

• Thanked by 1kuroit
  • Liteserver.nl, very prem.

512GB for 6EUR

• You can use Sia or Storj

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

5 EUR can get you 1TB box, Bulgaria - dmca ignored and all that good stuff. Raid60 which should keep your files safe and protect against faulty drives.
    If you do not plan on pissing DMCA mafia, they also have a Germany loc which should have better routing(but their BG location is still top notch in terms of routing).
    https://alphavps.com/storage-vps.html

• @ManuelMix said:
    I don't think you'll be able to get 512GB or more for that budget. You could however get a cheap VPS and connect a Hetzner storage box. If you tinker with the numbers you can fit it.

unless you are on hetz network, you will likely have a terrible experience as some people have noted before.

• kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

@untitled said:
    Hi,
    is it wise to have installed Openmediavault on a VPS (from privacy and security point of view)?
    If yes, do you have a strong recommendation for a certain VPS provider? Preferably Europe (Germany) - just for speed.
    I'll be needing at least 512 GB Hard drive. Budget: 5-7 Euros/month.
    I know there are the Storage boxes from Hetzner, but I thought OMV gives a little more than backups and it could be fun to experiment a little with it.
    I was looking at buyvm in Luxembourg, but they're almost always out of stock...
    Thank you in advance.

Privacy and security = backup Photos and some not so sensitive documents

https://my.kuroit.com/index.php?rp=/store/storage-vps-servers

STOR-1 | 500GB HDD - 1CPU - 1GB RAM
    1 vCore (E-2236)
    1GB DDR4 RAM
    500 GB Ent. HDD
    1.5 TB Premium Transfer
    120Gbps+ DDoS Protection
    Location - London, UK (HydraCom)

Price: £3.00 GBP Monthly

STOR-2 | 1TB HDD - 1CPU - 2GB RAM
    1 vCore (E-2236)
    2GB DDR4 RAM
    1TB Ent. HDD
    3 TB Premium Transfer
    120Gbps+ DDoS Protection
    Location - London, UK (HydraCom)

Price: £5.00 GBP Monthly

Looking Glass: https://uk.lg.kuroit.com/

• Openmediavault has a questionable stance about disk encryption. you can still enable it with omv-extras using unofficial plugins. I would only use the project on hardware that you own unless you want to see your family pics embedded in some weird AI generated pr0n