Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help needed - new name for an app before open sourcing it - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help needed - new name for an app before open sourcing it

Comments

• FYI just for the record, I will NOT buy openwrite.org, so if you see that it has disappeared, it wasn't me! It is a good option though. @vitobotta should snag it now just in case IMO. Or openwrite.io. It's a good option. Then he can sleep on it and decide later between that and DynaSite, and whatever other ones he comes up with.

• @rcy026 said:
    I really like Dynasite.
    It has a nice ring to it, its easy to say, easy to remember, and you can kind of guess just from the name what it is about. Of course, it rhymes with dynamite, but it does not come off as if that is the main point, it's just a nice bonus.

Yes, could be a fun marketing/branding opportunity!

• emgemg Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said:
    How about Panko as a name.

@Arkas said:
    This is the first thing that came to my mind. Now I'm hungry :neutral:
    (Image of pancakes)

For us in Southern California, "panko" are Japanese-style breadcrumbs. We always have them on our pantry shelf and use them as an ingredient for a variety of different foods. When used as a breaded coating, we prefer panko to ordinary breadcrumbs for chicken, etc.

• Dynamic and static - a versatile writing app...

VersaWrite dot something?

• @jlet88 said:
    OpenWrite is great, but it sounds a little more like a competitor to OpenOffice IMO. Or even a nickname to the OpenOffice Writer app.

OpenWrite would actually be perfect for a writing/outlining app TBH. If @vitobotta doesn't grab it, I might want to grab it for a project I'm working on. It's a great domain name -- openwrite.org is available as of this second. @vitobotta grab it or someone else will!

Anyway, as good as OpenWrite is, it doesn't seem to fit the brief for @vitobotta's project as well as some other options IMO. But it is good.

I'm still a fan of DynaSite -- not because I mentioned it. But I do think it covers the brief really well, based on what is currently on the DynaBlogger site right now.

Unless you really want it I think I am gonna register OpenWrite. I think .dev since I like it more than .io and it's cheaper. But if you really want it let me know soon.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • Late to the party, but how about Dynasty?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2023

@ralf said:
    Late to the party, but how about Dynasty?

I can imagine when googling Dynasty lots of other stuff will pop up (historical, Dynasty Warriors game, other).

@vitobotta DynaSite seems great if you want to honor the old project's name, OpenWrite if you wanna market it under a new name. Both sound like good picks to me :)

Both names (Dynasite and OpenWrite) already had some Google Keyword searches in the past 12 months, unlike "7dollarvps" which no one has searched in the past :P

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=Dynasite,OpenWrite,7dollarvps

• @vitobotta said:

@jlet88 said:
    OpenWrite is great, but it sounds a little more like a competitor to OpenOffice IMO. Or even a nickname to the OpenOffice Writer app.

OpenWrite would actually be perfect for a writing/outlining app TBH. If @vitobotta doesn't grab it, I might want to grab it for a project I'm working on. It's a great domain name -- openwrite.org is available as of this second. @vitobotta grab it or someone else will!

Anyway, as good as OpenWrite is, it doesn't seem to fit the brief for @vitobotta's project as well as some other options IMO. But it is good.

I'm still a fan of DynaSite -- not because I mentioned it. But I do think it covers the brief really well, based on what is currently on the DynaBlogger site right now.

Unless you really want it I think I am gonna register OpenWrite. I think .dev since I like it more than .io and it's cheaper. But if you really want it let me know soon.

Hi @vitobotta -- it's all yours! Go for it! As I mentioned in a post immediately following the post you quoted:

@jlet88 said:
    FYI just for the record, I will NOT buy openwrite.org, so if you see that it has disappeared, it wasn't me! It is a good option though. @vitobotta should snag it now just in case IMO. Or openwrite.io. It's a good option. Then he can sleep on it and decide later between that and DynaSite, and whatever other ones he comes up with.

It's a great name. BTW, I just checked right now, and openwrite.org is not available any more. Again, that was not me who registered it. I will use something else for my own project, and I regret even bringing up that I might want to grab it if you don't grab it. You had the first go at it as far as I was concerned, I wanted to be clear I was deferring to you, and I hope that was you who got it. BTW openwrite.dev and openwrite.io are both still available as of this post. Thank you for even asking if I really wanted to get openwrite.org though. B)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Everyone, between DynaSite and OpenWrite which one do you prefer?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2023

@vitobotta said:
    Everyone, between DynaSite and OpenWrite which one do you prefer?

I still love Dynasite, but OpenWrite feels like it could become something bigger like "Open Office".

• @vitobotta said:

Both are good! I was initially more fond of DynaSite in a prior comment I made, but OpenWrite is probably growing on me faster, especially if you want your project to have a serious tone!

OpenWrite, while IMO still has a tiny bit of confusion with OpenOffice in my mind, is more broad-scope, sounds more like a big project with more stability, is more neutral, and probably will work long-term better for a professional, serious open source project.

DynaSite honors the roots of your original project, has a snappier feel to it, more personality and zing, is more unique and fun sounding, but that could also be a little polarizing for people.

Trade-offs for either one, but both good!

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2023

@jlet88 said:

@vitobotta said:

Both are good! I was initially more fond of DynaSite in a prior comment I made, but OpenWrite is probably growing on me faster, especially if you want your project to have a serious tone!

OpenWrite, while IMO still has a tiny bit of confusion with OpenOffice in my mind, is more broad-scope, sounds more like a big project with more stability, is more neutral, and probably will work long-term better for a professional, serious open source project.

DynaSite honors the roots of your original project, has a snappier feel to it, more personality and zing, is more unique and fun sounding, but that could also be a little polarizing for people.

At this point, better register domains for both just to be sure no one snags them away. After that, there's still ample time to decide on which one to settle.

• @vitobotta said:

OpenWrite for me!

• @Ympker said:

@vitobotta said:

I still love Dynasite, but OpenWrite feels like it could become something bigger like "Open Office".

Uhm if it can be associated with an office suite then better to avoid it I think.

@jlet88 said:

@vitobotta said:

I'm just worried about the association with office suites for OpenWrite

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

OpenWrite for me!

I'll register than one too for now just in case

• Before I register, can anyone suggest a better extension than .dev/.io? (between the two .dev is cheaper)

• niknik Member, Host Rep

Dynapose

Dynamic Compose

• @nik said:
    Dynapose

Dynamic Compose

Uhm doesn't sound pretty to be if I may be honest :)

• @vitobotta said:
    Before I register, can anyone suggest a better extension than .dev/.io? (between the two .dev is cheaper)

Doesn't open-source projects tends to stick with .org and .com for commercial versions?

• delph

• @TrK said:

@vitobotta said:
    Before I register, can anyone suggest a better extension than .dev/.io? (between the two .dev is cheaper)

Doesn't open-source projects tends to stick with .org and .com for commercial versions?

I don't know, I can't think of open source projects that use .org

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2023

@vitobotta said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

Openoffice.org

Libreoffice.org

• @Ympker said:

@vitobotta said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

Openoffice.org

Libreoffice.org

Ah, yeah. I'll register the .org as well for now

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • dynasite.org registered

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • emgemg Veteran

I vote for "dynasite". The other choice, "openwrite" seems more like a word processor product.

• TrKTrK Member
    edited February 2023

@vitobotta said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

WordPress.org 😐
    Ghost.org 😐

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

WordPress.org 😐
    Ghost.org 😐

true

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @emg said:
    I vote for "dynasite". The other choice, "openwrite" seems more like a word processor product.

Agree :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dinah (the female name).

It's Dyna, but an inside joke and nerds love inside jokes.

Doesn't help your domain availability problem, though perhaps there's an alternate spelling.

• emgemg Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    Dinah (the female name).

It's Dyna, but an inside joke and nerds love inside jokes.

Doesn't help your domain availability problem, though perhaps there's an alternate spelling.

DynaBeach?
    /* A fuzzy match for Dinah Shore. */

DynaCuisine?
    DynaTrain?
    /* A fuzzy match for "Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah" ... and don't blame me if that song is in your head for the rest of the day. */

Hint: For people who live in Italy and elsewhere, look up the song "I've been Workin' on the Railroad".

• ezpzwrtr.com

from easy peasy writer

@vitobotta