Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is t here anything better then wordpress?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm looking to see if there are blogging platform that's better than WordPress. I have tried ghost but getting it on shared hosting is a bit complicated.

Comments

• if u want some polished alternative ghost is only thing close to WordPress else you can always go with custom headless cms route but all these will be complicated in any standard hosting

my advice get a vps even a 1 gb ram or 10-15$/ year one will be enough to "get started" and install ghost in it

yes managing it is a bit complicated and has learning curve but once u start its has much flexibility and freedom

pair it with cloudflare and u dont have to worry about DDOS or sudden spike in visitors

Ps - am also a noob so take my words with a pinch of salt

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Depends on what you want really. If it's just a simple blog, you can use a static site generator such as Hugo + Netlify CMS or TinaCMS.

Setup is a little bit more complicated compared to Softaculous + Wordpress, but your site will likely be faster since everything is static.

Hosting static sites is also free with Netlify, Github Pages, or Cloudflare Pages, or you can use Hugo to generate static files that you can then upload to your webroot at a shared hosting provider.

Even simpler: Create a blog with Hugo, then use a Markdown Editor (I use Obsidian) to create markdown posts in the content folder, then run hugo and netlify deploy --prod then choose the public folder generated by Hugo. This allows me to focus on writing content.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Have you tried GravCMS

Thanked by 2Arkas jlet88
  • What does "better" mean in your terms?

If you want something simple and unbloated, try Writefreely: https://writefreely.org/

There's hosted platform as well: https://write.as/

The beauty of this is that it supports activityPub (like mastodon etc.) so people can directly follow your account.

I'm using this container to self-host it, it just consumes 40 megabytes of memory (except the database, which can be sqlite) https://git.madhouse-project.org/algernon/writefreely-docker .

Thanked by 1dev077
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Not really. I mean there are great things out there, plenty of them being subjectively better to different people. But nothing comes close to the community, plugin, and theme development of Wordpress.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2023

@jar said:
    Not really. I mean there are great things out there, plenty of them being subjectively better to different people. But nothing comes close to the community, plugin, and theme development of Wordpress.

I totally agree. There are great alternatives which might be a better fit depending on an individual's requirements and expectations, but WordPress is still up there when it comes to blogging, community, plugin/theme development/support as Jarland pointed out.

Builtwith ( https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/WordPress ) reads the following stats for WordPress:

Get a list of 61,909,719 websites using WordPress which includes location information, hosting data, contact details, 38,539,556 currently live websites and an additional 2,680,613 domains that redirect to sites in this list. 23,370,163 sites that used this technology previously and 1,767,258 websites in Germany currently using WordPress.

and in comparison stats for Ghost are: https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/Ghost

Get a list of 128,212 websites using Ghost which includes location information, hosting data, contact details, 56,871 currently live websites and an additional 65,107 domains that redirect to sites in this list. 71,341 sites that used this technology previously and 1,401 websites in Germany currently using Ghost.

TL;DR: Ghost and other alternatives can be a great fit in individual cases, but WordPress has a way bigger (dev/support) community and activity (38,5 million live sites that use WP vs 56,8 thousand live sites that use Ghost).

• Grav is good for personal blogs. No db required afaik and it just works.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • seb1gseb1g Member
    edited February 2023

For a simple blog, Hugo and WriteFreely are great options. Hugo will work in any hosting because its a static page generator but for WriteFreely you're going to need a VPS or dedi.

• Data Life Engine (DLE) their owners don't know how to do business. Since they don't provide modules in English.

They can have success if owner as able to understand that the success only will come with targeting English users / Internacional.

Other options are Joomla, Ghost CMS and Drupal.

• Build the website with wordpress, then use simplystatic plugin to generate the whole website to static HTML pages. You can still use the comment and forms with SimplyStatic Pro.

• @sandoz said:
    Data Life Engine (DLE) their owners don't know how to do business. Since they don't provide modules in English.

They can have success if owner as able to understand that the success only will come with targeting English users / Internacional.

DLE is well known in nulled content scene as go-to cms. It is considered to be used by people from 13-18 years old. I had touch it, not very bad.

• @LTniger said:

@sandoz said:
    Data Life Engine (DLE) their owners don't know how to do business. Since they don't provide modules in English.

DLE is well known in nulled content scene as go-to cms. It is considered to be used by people from 13-18 years old. I had touch it, not very bad.

I shouldn't consider that since there are many websites of News (RU and Ukraine) made by DLE legit license but which own theme from stratch.

I don't agree at all with you. The main issue is the owners are "stupid" check the module page you will see instructions in Russian.. Modules in russian. They don't care about targeting Europe and other countries.

Unfortunately DLE performance in 512MB works fine.

• @sandoz said:

Maybe they just don't care too much about the minority of the world who can only speak English?

Thanked by 2jsg vyas11
  • @Snickertastic said:
    I'm looking to see if there are blogging platform that's better than WordPress.

Lots of great suggestions here, but if you want to go "static" then I also agree entirely about Hugo. And Jekyll is another great option to consider too.

But if you want all the goodies and plugins that WordPress has, though, it's difficult to match its huge ecosystem and vast number of templates and third party support.

Have fun!

• @jlet88 said:

@Snickertastic said:
    I'm looking to see if there are blogging platform that's better than WordPress.

Lots of great suggestions here, but if you want to go "static" then I also agree entirely about Hugo. And Jekyll is another great option to consider too.

But if you want all the goodies and plugins that WordPress has, though, it's difficult to match its huge ecosystem and vast number of templates and third party support.

Have fun!

Joomla is the best current alternative in such cases.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

+1 for GravCMS. It does depend on what you want your end result to be, but since discovering it I've found it amazing.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Arkas said:
    +1 for GravCMS. It does depend on what you want your end result to be, but since discovering it I've found it amazing.

Cool CMS, just checked out the Grav docs and requirements. Nice. Haven't ever used it though, but I like the minimal requirements. Will test it!

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited February 2023

@Ympker said:

@jar said:

I totally agree. There are great alternatives which might be a better fit depending on an individual's requirements and expectations, but WordPress is still up there when it comes to blogging, community, plugin/theme development/support as Jarland pointed out.

Builtwith ( https://trends.builtwith.com/cms/WordPress ) reads the following stats for WordPress:

Get a list of 61,909,719 websites using WordPress which includes location information, hosting data, contact details, 38,539,556 currently live websites and an additional 2,680,613 domains that redirect to sites in this list. 23,370,163 sites that used this technology previously and 1,767,258 websites in Germany currently using WordPress.

Which makes wordpress the primary target for hacker, virus, malware, and whatnot.

I prefer jekyll because you can host it for free on github

Thanked by 3jar Ympker nick_
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@yokowasis said: Which makes wordpress the primary target for hacker, virus, malware, and whatnot.

Aye. Pretty much the same reason Windows gets targeted so much. Hard to be popular without attracting poor devs and malicious actors though. Static sites though, that’s my jam, enjoy hacking that :joy:

Thanked by 3Hxxx Ympker Liso
  • Is t here anything better then wordpress?

:D :D :D

• I'm using NextJS reading page content from markdown files. Nice and fast

• ArkasArkas Moderator

https://getpelican.com/

I haven't used it for long, I mainly use Grav now, but when I have free time I like to try out its features. Worth a mention.

• @Snickertastic said:

Better? I do not know. But sure nothing worse (although some come quite close)...

• emgemg Veteran

Wordpress may be a target because of its broad adoption. The question is whether it is easy to keep it secure. Are widespread zero day attacks common? Is it quickly and easily patched and maintained?

• @emg said:
    Wordpress may be a target because of its broad adoption. The question is whether it is easy to keep it secure. Are widespread zero day attacks common? Is it quickly and easily patched and maintained?

Not common, but not exactly rare either.

If you're just running core WP, it's pretty painless to keep things patched and maintained. As soon as you start adding in external themes / plugins you're into a world of pain. The vast majority of attacks are on popular plugins that are unmaintained and/or poorly built in the first place.

Thanked by 1emg