Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help needed - new name for an app before open sourcing it
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help needed - new name for an app before open sourcing it

Before joining Brella (my current employer) I used to run a paid blogging platform called DynaBlogger. I am going to open source the app hopefully soon (want to change a few things first since it was originally designed to run in Kubernetes with specific things like cert-manager for custom domains' certificates and things like that), however I want to change the name because the app actually isn't limited to just blog.

It has full support for themes that allow you to easily and quickly edit any layout of partials or any other assets directly with its in browser theme editor, so it can be used to also create static websites (for now, but I plan to add a page builder later in the future). Therefore the name DynaBlogger isn't a good fit anymore really, and I would need some other name.

For example the marketing website I used when the app was a paid service (or what remains of it), https://www.dynablogger.com/, runs on this app, and as you can see it's a marketing site with some documentation pages, not a blog, while my blog https://vitobotta.com/ is an example of blog. Both are running on the same platform.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cool name that would fit this app, considering that it works great for blogs and static sites? Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Thanked by 1cpsd

Comments

• Oh open sourcing it? nice, good luck. What about just naming it Dyna?

• @Zyra said:
    Oh open sourcing it? nice, good luck. What about just naming it Dyna?

Just Dyna? Not sure, the original idea was from "dynamic" which is an adjective, so by itself I am not sure. Also because of the static sites part.

• I mean... I don't disagree with just Dyna. It keeps homage to it's old name and you can probably do that marketing spinner of "Dyna" and then "Blogging/Content Management/Websites/blahblah"

• Taking note about Dyna, since two people agree on it already. Thanks

• Wait... I forgot that I need an available domain name too. The most obvious for dyna cost a lot of money.

• Dynacms.org??

• First, congrats on your cool project! I'll be interested to see the open source version!

Second, "dyna" is good -- just need a second word that represents what you feel the scope of the project is?

• DynaCMS
    • DynaPress
    • DynaPublish
    • DynaPub
    • DynaFeed
    • DynaPost
    • DynaBook
    • DynaPaper
    • DynaPage
    • DynaTheme
    • DynaTemplate
    • DynaSite
    • DynaCommunity
    • DynaFramework
    Thanked by 3yoursunny emgh Ympker
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Full name: Dyna Macro Information Technology Ensembler
    Short name: DynaMITE
    Logo: 🧨

• @TrK said:
    Dynacms.org??

Noted - I like more the .dev and both are available, so this might be a candidate, thanks :)

• @jlet88 said:
    First, congrats on your cool project! I'll be interested to see the open source version!

Second, "dyna" is good -- just need a second word that represents what you feel the scope of the project is?

• DynaCMS
    • DynaPress
    • DynaPublish
    • DynaPub
    • DynaFeed
    • DynaPost
    • DynaBook
    • DynaPaper
    • DynaPage
    • DynaTheme
    • DynaTemplate
    • DynaSite
    • DynaCommunity
    • DynaFramework

DynaSite is my favorite in this list, and the .dev is available! Thanks, added to the list of candidates. :)

• Dyna is a fun name for a (partly) static site builder.

• @emgh said:
    Dyna is a fun name for a (partly) static site builder.

I am kinda conflicted about this. I mean the end result is that you create static sites, but the way you create them is with a dynamic web app.

About TLDs, I really like .dev but .software is also available. Which one do you guys recommend?

• I bought dynasite.dev just in case

Thanked by 1netomx
  • will you still be selling "managed" version of it?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@vitobotta said: I bought dynasite.dev just in case

Out of curiosity why do you prefer .dev over .io? I think .dev is better, it just seems the industry has gone with .io

• @treesmokah said:
    will you still be selling "managed" version of it?

I don't think so, since I have a full time job that I like and I wouldn't have the time to run this project as a side business at the moment. I will add a clause to the license - when I open source it - to forbid others from using it for commercial purposes, just in case I change mind later.

@Arkas said:

Out of curiosity why do you prefer .dev over .io? I think .dev is better, it just seems the industry has gone with .io

They are both cool, I kinda prefer .dev and they tend to be a bit cheaper than .io

• @Arkas said:

What is the difference between domain TLD's besides names and ownership?

• @treesmokah said:

@Arkas said:

What is the difference between domain TLD's besides names and ownership?

Just who owns the rights to manage the TLD, nothing else I think. Other than that there is no difference in terms of using the domain, AFAIK

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@treesmokah said: What is the difference between domain TLD's besides names and ownership?

Branding.

• @vitobotta said: to forbid others from using it for commercial purposes, just in case I change mind later.

What will you do when someone does? Sue them? Wouldn't it take shit ton of resources and time?

• @treesmokah said:

@vitobotta said: to forbid others from using it for commercial purposes, just in case I change mind later.

What will you do when someone does? Sue them? Wouldn't it take shit ton of resources and time?

Good point. I am not sure I could do much other than making a lot of noise everywhere about it. But I have already removed the whole logic to handle subscriptions and payments to make this more difficult. This way they would have to implement that stuff themselves so it's some effort they'd have to make.

• How about Panko as a name.

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    How about Panko as a name.

Sounds weird :D

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@HalfEatenPie said: How about Panko as a name.

This is the first thing that came to my mind. Now I'm hungry :neutral:

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • I really like Dynasite.
    It has a nice ring to it, its easy to say, easy to remember, and you can kind of guess just from the name what it is about. Of course, it rhymes with dynamite, but it does not come off as if that is the main point, it's just a nice bonus.

Thanked by 3Arkas jlet88 Ympker
  • @rcy026 said:
    I really like Dynasite.
    It has a nice ring to it, its easy to say, easy to remember, and you can kind of guess just from the name what it is about. Of course, it rhymes with dynamite, but it does not come off as if that is the main point, it's just a nice bonus.

Awesome 👍

• I was curious what ChatGPT would suggest. The suggested name is OpenWrite. It conveys a sense of open and accessible content creation and publishing, while also sounding modern and memorable. Other suggestions could be "WriteOn", "OpenPen", "PenWorks", "WriteFlow", "OpenInk".

Plenty of TLDs available for OpenWrite.

• Adding OpenWrite to the list

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited February 2023

OpenWrite is great, but it sounds a little more like a competitor to OpenOffice IMO. Or even a nickname to the OpenOffice Writer app.

OpenWrite would actually be perfect for a writing/outlining app TBH. If @vitobotta doesn't grab it, I might want to grab it for a project I'm working on. It's a great domain name -- openwrite.org is available as of this second. @vitobotta grab it or someone else will!

Anyway, as good as OpenWrite is, it doesn't seem to fit the brief for @vitobotta's project as well as some other options IMO. But it is good.

I'm still a fan of DynaSite -- not because I mentioned it. But I do think it covers the brief really well, based on what is currently on the DynaBlogger site right now.