Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle OCI "Always Free" VPS. Why anything else? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle OCI "Always Free" VPS. Why anything else?

Comments

• @xaoc said:
    @tedtomato payg customers are on different infrastructure that free ones, that's why you always have capacity. ;)

So they moved my free machines when I upgraded my account?

• emgemg Veteran

I tried to sign up for an Oracle Free Tier account, but something went wrong with the email address confirmation. You get one try, and then it locks you out. I had to click through a long sequence of captchas, too.

Oracle's chat person suggested waiting at least an hour for it to timeout, then delete cookies and use "anonymous / private mode" in the browser before trying again. They also said to avoid signing up through a VPN. (I was not on a VPN.)

• @plumberg said:
    OCI is free, so they should provide the best services
    And make sure to not terminate the accounts even if someone breaks tos...
    Ans OCI should dare not remove the free service without 10 years of notice period.

I don't think people got the sarcasm...

• @tedtomato said:

@plumberg said:
    OCI is free, so they should provide the best services
    And make sure to not terminate the accounts even if someone breaks tos...
    Ans OCI should dare not remove the free service without 10 years of notice period.

I don't think people got the sarcasm...

B)

• They wouldn't let me create an account and their customer rep told me he could not tell me why it was not working and I explained that I couldn't fix something which I don't know -- F oracle!

• @emg said:
    I tried to sign up for an Oracle Free Tier account, but something went wrong with the email address confirmation. You get one try, and then it locks you out. I had to click through a long sequence of captchas, too.

Oracle's chat person suggested waiting at least an hour for it to timeout, then delete cookies and use "anonymous / private mode" in the browser before trying again. They also said to avoid signing up through a VPN. (I was not on a VPN.)

LOL - they told me I was on a VPN too and I was not

• emgemg Veteran

@chitree said:

I am waiting for account info from Oracle, the next step. Oracle sent an email address confirmation link, and I used it to enter my contact and payment info. The Oracle website said to wait 15 minutes for it to create a new account and they would email the details. (FYI: I do not block any inbound email messages.)

After a couple hours with no email and no other indications of change, I tried the "show me accounts associated with an email address" link and the email reply said "no accounts under that email address." I tried chat again and they told me to wait 24 hours.

• @emg said:

@chitree said:

I am waiting for account info from Oracle, the next step. Oracle sent an email address confirmation link, and I used it to enter my contact and payment info. The Oracle website said to wait 15 minutes for it to create a new account and they would email the details. (FYI: I do not block any inbound email messages.)

After a couple hours with no email and no other indications of change, I tried the "show me accounts associated with an email address" link and the email reply said "no accounts under that email address." I tried chat again and they told me to wait 24 hours.

had a similar experience years ago -- I don't know what they're doing on their end that makes everything all funky

• Can anyone provide me cc for oracle i have no visa or mastercard, i will pay for it

• @Neutral said:
    Can anyone provide me cc for oracle i have no visa or mastercard, i will pay for it

No

• @Neutral said:
    Can anyone provide me cc for oracle i have no visa or mastercard, i will pay for it

Very risky. When your account was approved in oracle then you will hard to create VM 😂

• @emg said:

@chitree said:

They're setting the expectation for you for their service... they are Mickey Mouse operation. You'll run into more problems with Oracle than your typical LET provider.

On my computer, Chrome and Edge doesn't work (loading the whole page properly) but Brave does (and prompts me to use Chrome or Edge). Go figure.

Thanked by 1emg
  • @TimboJones said:

@emg said:

@chitree said:

They're setting the expectation for you for their service... they are Mickey Mouse operation. You'll run into more problems with Oracle than your typical LET provider.

On my computer, Chrome and Edge doesn't work (loading the whole page properly) but Brave does (and prompts me to use Chrome or Edge). Go figure.

Sounds just like the Oracle we know and love /s

• emgemg Veteran

@TimboJones said:

You will get no argument from me about that.

Did you ever have to deal with Oracle database licensing, configuration, customization, management, etc.? For one large project, I had to hire a full-time database administrator to deal with it, and she was never idle. Never.

I learned many valuable lessons from that experience, and was fortunate not to have to deal with Oracle after that project. Until now.

• You have to choose a tenancy name. Is this unique, i. e., no one else can use it?

• emgemg Veteran

@emg said:

Update: Friday morning, 3 February 2023
    I waited 48 hours. No email from Oracle. I checked accounts under my email address and Oracle reported none.

The next day (Friday morning, yesterday), I tried signing up all over again with the same names and email addresses. For some reason, this time it worked. I received a Free Tier account and will try it out this weekend.

• emgemg Veteran

Well, I tried to create an instance comparable to a typical VPS here. I was unable to do so. I kept getting errors while Oracle tried to create them.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier is becoming more effort than it is worth. I still don't have something comparable to a VPS I could get here for a few dollars a month.

I will try again another day, before they close my account for inactivity. :-(

• @emg said:
    Well, I tried to create an instance comparable to a typical VPS here. I was unable to do so. I kept getting errors while Oracle tried to create them.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier is becoming more effort than it is worth. I still don't have something comparable to a VPS I could get here for a few dollars a month.

What error? Out of capacity?

• @TimboJones said:

@emg said:

Do you have solution for out of capacity ?

• @blackeye said:

Yeah, just check every few hours and try again until it works

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Neutral said:

Have you tried your local supermarket, as they do VISA or MasterCard pre-paid cards as gift cards or you can do the same online, plenty of such services available, so good luck.

• @Pwner said:

@blackeye said:

Yeah, just check every few hours and try again until it works

Was trying almost 2 week still didn’t get the vps

• @blackeye said:

Which region are you in that you can't get one after 2 weeks?

• @Pwner said:

@blackeye said:

SG with 24gb, 4 core arm

• @blackeye said:

@Pwner said:

@blackeye said:

SG with 24gb, 4 core arm

Try getting 1 core/1gb ram first. ;)

• @xaoc said:

@blackeye said:

@Pwner said:

@blackeye said:

SG with 24gb, 4 core arm

Amd or arm ?

• @blackeye said:

@xaoc said:

@blackeye said:

@Pwner said:

@blackeye said:

SG with 24gb, 4 core arm

Amd or arm ?

Either one, i guess. I'm figuring that if you go smaller, you'll have a higher chance of getting one(in case of arm).

Thanked by 1blackeye
  • @blackeye said:
    SG with 24gb, 4 core arm

Yeah that makes sense, SG is apparently very hard to get. Always has been from the beginning when it was first introduced.

Thanked by 1blackeye
  • @xaoc said:

@blackeye said:

@xaoc said:

@blackeye said:

@Pwner said:

@blackeye said:

SG with 24gb, 4 core arm

Amd or arm ?

Either one, i guess. I'm figuring that if you go smaller, you'll have a higher chance of getting one(in case of arm).

@Pwner said:

@blackeye said:
    SG with 24gb, 4 core arm

Yeah that makes sense, SG is apparently very hard to get. Always has been from the beginning when it was first introduced.

Thanks for your suggest. I will try it.

• emgemg Veteran

@TimboJones said:

I did not write them down, but there were two different types of errors. The first may have been some type of out of capacity error. The other type was a timeout. I saw multiples of each type as I tried each of the three "sources" (my term) in the Phoenix "home" (also my term).

I was trying to get an AMD processor with the default 8 Gbyte RAM. The only setting I changed was from ARM to AMD. I also had to create a virtual network, but their system did not let me get that far.

It is not convenient to try now, but I'll take better notes on terminology and any errors that appear when I try tonight or tomorrow. I was also planning to try for an ARM processor if the AMD fails again.