Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostPapa is taking over ColoCrossing (and the rest of the Deluxe Web Hosting)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostPapa is taking over ColoCrossing (and the rest of the Deluxe Web Hosting)

edited February 2023 in News

Well here it is:
https://www.hostpapa.com/about-hostpapa/pressroom/hostpapa-acquires-deluxe-corporations/

Apparently they will be taking over Colo Crossing and other web hosting businesses that are/were a part of Deluxe.

Thanked by 2greentea jazzii

Comments

• I wonder if that will have any effect on:

• The spam that CC has been associated with in the past
    • Providers that are 90%+ relying on CC IPs and machines for cheap.

So the biggest CC provider that I can think of is obviously RackNerd, who was likely getting a killer deal on IPs and servers, due to the friendly nudge in the right direction by Biloh. So now when Biloh will likely no longer be "an independent consultant" for CC - what will happen to Rack Nerd? And if the prices for RN go up - what will happen to all those 1yr and 3yr deals?

And with the legal trouble that Dustin is already in - how will that affect the future of RN?

Thanked by 2greentea msallak1
  • Everytime I see the HostPapa logo I think of Mr. Monopoly

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Pretty interesting, especially if they sold all the IP's with it.

Francisco

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Are we going to see a touch more v6 now?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2023

The bad just got even worse.

@NobodyInteresting said:
    I wonder if that will have any effect on:

• The spam that CC has been associated with in the past
    • Providers that are 90%+ relying on CC IPs and machines for cheap.

So the biggest CC provider that I can think of is obviously RackNerd, who was likely getting a killer deal on IPs and servers, due to the friendly nudge in the right direction by Biloh. So now when Biloh will likely no longer be "an independent consultant" for CC - what will happen to Rack Nerd? And if the prices for RN go up - what will happen to all those 1yr and 3yr deals?

And with the legal trouble that Dustin is already in - how will that affect the future of RN?

IP costs will go up for sure. Its likely the only reason they bought it, and the only way they can get some costs back almost instantly.

Either the resellers will adjust to a new pricing after their current deals end, or they will have to find another upstream provider. The new owner doesent care either way, because they can just lease the IPs for higher price and scale back CC operations and physical costs like the amount of machines.

• Incoming smell of popcorn... drama!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Can anyone from across the Atlantic provide some basic info/intro on "HostPapa", their operations, market significance/weight, locations, major services?

• $8.69

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said:
    $8.69

Oooof. I'm out. GG.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2023

I've never even heard of HostPapa.

I have been known to live under a rock.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

My take though is that web hosting doesn't really make Deluxe Corporation money, so they felt more enticed by focusing on different markets and products than spending more time on cloud hosting. This is in line with their overarching strategy to divest themselves from the cloud market (link: https://www.investors.deluxe.com/News/news/news-details/2023/Deluxe-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-and-Full-Year-2022-Results-Provides-Full-Year-2023-Outlook/default.aspx ).

I mean their forecasted EBITDA is like -2% to +2% for 2023 (if I'm reading this right) with an expected change of -1% to +2% in revenue. So it sounds like they're not really growing but rather just hanging, and reading their most recent 10-K filing web hosting services only accounts for a total of 5.5% of their entire revenue (cloud business line is a total of 13%... smallest out of all the other national business lines) so my hypothesis is that they're selling this part of their business to get $$$ for the uncertain economic condition coming up and/or having $$$ available for new acquisitions.

Not too familiar with Hostpapa and they're a privately held company so I don't have much visibility into this. But then again, first time I've heard of them and probably something I'll forget.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    I've never even heard of HostPapa.

I have been known to live under a rock.

• I smell a future Deadpool

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • @jsg said: Can anyone from across the Atlantic provide some basic info/intro on "HostPapa", their operations, market significance/weight, locations, major services?

• HostPapa is a canadian company.
    • A relatively small company not like big EIG brands like bluehost.
    • Main product is shared hosting apart from vps, dedicated servers.
    • They seem to acquire various hosting businesses in past - read section "our press releases"
    • They acquired the then huge hosting company called "lunarpages" . I was lunar's customer something like 15 or 16 years ago!
    • Jamie Opalchuk is owner
    • They have kept active many of brands they had acquired
    • But as per wikipedia they offer hosting services in US, Canada, Asia, Europe.
    Thanked by 3_MS_ jsg adly
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said: I've never even heard of HostPapa.

I've always seen it mentioned on google searches when searching for shared, cpanel or reseller hosting. The papa logo was displayed along with bluehost, hostgator, godaddy ones. But I always thought it was EIG brand. lol.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@JasonM said: But as per wikipedia they offer hosting services in US, Canada, Asia, Europe.

Yeah I read their wikipedia page but it definitely sounds like it was written by their marketing team (or only written from marketing materials). So... Probably doesn't give the full picture.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Saw an article about this a couple of days ago. I thought they were buying some other small web hosting company also called Deluxe.

They're usually found in those fake Top 10 Shared Hosting reviews/review (affiliate) sites.

They're, probably, thinking about launching their own Cloud product(s).

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • well, follow the money trail.

• Hostcolo
    Papacrossing
    Hostcrossing
    Papacolo
    Colopapa
    Colohost
    Crossinghost
    Colopapa

And on and on we go

• hostpapa sounds like a russian sugar daddy !

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2023

@vyas11 said:
    Hostcolo
    Papacrossing
    Hostcrossing
    Papacolo
    Colopapa
    Colohost
    Crossinghost
    Colopapa

And on and on we go

purple papa?

I'll see myself out.

Francisco

Thanked by 3vyas11 Hassan FrankZ
  • @vyas11 said:
    Hostcolo
    Papacrossing
    Hostcrossing
    Papacolo
    Colopapa
    Colohost
    Crossinghost
    Colopapa

And on and on we go

Colonpoopoo

Thanked by 2vyas11 jazzii
  • Finaly, papa will get that colonoscopy. Blood in a stool was obvious problem for a while.

• Papa Johns

• @NobodyInteresting said:
    Well here it is:
    https://www.hostpapa.com/about-hostpapa/pressroom/hostpapa-acquires-deluxe-corporations/

Apparently they will be taking over Colo Crossing and other web hosting businesses that are/were a part of Deluxe.

At least according to the press release linked above:

HostPapa, Inc., a leading global web hosting and cloud service provider for small and medium businesses (SMBs), announced today its acquisition of Deluxe Corporation’s web hosting and logo design businesses.

There's no mention in the press release of CC, nor of VPS/server services, so this acquisition may not be what one might imagine it to be. (At least based on the press release)

Thanked by 1jsg
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited February 2023

never heard of them.
    terrible name.
    colocrossing IS and WAS dogshit.

guys linkedin screams "globalism" - I can smell the public company and shareholders.

• @treesmokah said:
    never heard of them.
    terrible name.
    colocrossing IS and WAS dogshit.

guys linkedin screams "globalism" - I can smell the public company and shareholders.

Papa is/was a knock-off godaddy.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @angstrom said: There's no mention in the press release of CC, nor of VPS/server services, so this acquisition may not be what one might imagine it to be. (At least based on the press release)

According to his post on LI, he seems to think he is getting CC also. So I guess it would include it.

• @iKeyZ said:

@angstrom said: There's no mention in the press release of CC, nor of VPS/server services, so this acquisition may not be what one might imagine it to be. (At least based on the press release)

According to his post on LI, he seems to think he is getting CC also. So I guess it would include it.

Yeah, I see/saw that, so maybe. (But that's the equivalent of a tweet)

Nevertheless, it's odd that the press release doesn't mention CC, nor have I yet found an independent news piece that says that they're acquiring CC (and thereby the VPS/server services)

Thanked by 1iKeyZ