Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Performance degratation with iDrive e2 object storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Performance degratation with iDrive e2 object storage

It has been very fast for a while, now both in Frankfurt and Paris I see very poor performance uploading from both my home in Finland and a GreenCloud VPS in Frankfurt.

Anyone else see performance issues with it?

Thanked by 1yongsiklee

Comments

• I believe you're not alone. As you know I'm using the exact same combinaiton as you.

Nowadays, in my mastodon instance I see more 404 images on my timeline, which I believe are due to timeouts on uploads. When I click to the origin they are shown though.

I can test for you if you have an any means for a test like a benchmark script etc.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • @arda said:
    I believe you're not alone. As you know I'm using the exact same combinaiton as you.

Nowadays, in my mastodon instance I see more 404 images on my timeline, which I believe are due to timeouts on uploads. When I click to the origin they are shown though.

I can test for you if you have an any means for a test like a benchmark script etc.

I should probably contact support but the fact that multiple regions are performing worse lately is not a good sign. I need to create a bucket right now for something and I am wondering if I should open an account with Wasabi again since support might not answer during the weekend

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • Well that was expected tbh, iDrive is just too congested and nobody wants to put efforts into something that's not giving them some real profit. B2 with CF would be the cheapest solution i can find for s3 compatible storage apart from self hosted minio.

• It is back to normal speed now. I contacted support and they told me they were doing some network optimizations that resulted in temporary slowdowns. Seems to work ok now

Thanked by 1arda
  • @TrK said:
    B2 with CF would be the cheapest solution i can find for s3 compatible storage apart from self hosted minio.

It seems that B2 is pretty slow in comparison.

@vitobotta said:
    It is back to normal speed now. I contacted support and they told me they were doing some network optimizations that resulted in temporary slowdowns. Seems to work ok now

Good news.

• @EthanZou said:

@TrK said:
    B2 with CF would be the cheapest solution i can find for s3 compatible storage apart from self hosted minio.

@vitobotta said:
    It is back to normal speed now. I contacted support and they told me they were doing some network optimizations that resulted in temporary slowdowns. Seems to work ok now

Good news.

Yeah B2 is one of the slowest I have tried/used so far

• @EthanZou said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

Good news.

Well slow, but it all depends on the long run, if idrive managed to out perform b2 after a year or so, i don't mind signing up for idrive as well, but for now i guess the minio is for me.

• @vitobotta said:

@EthanZou said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

Good news.

Can't be slower than contabo, surely

• @TrK said:

@EthanZou said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

Good news.

Well slow, but it all depends on the long run, if idrive managed to out perform b2 after a year or so, i don't mind signing up for idrive as well, but for now i guess the minio is for me.

What are you using for minio storage?

@bgerard said:

@vitobotta said:

@EthanZou said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

Good news.

I tried Contabo when it came out but I can't remember about the speed. I gave up right away due to errors etc.

• @bgerard said:

@vitobotta said:

@EthanZou said:

@TrK said:

@vitobotta said:

Good news.

Contabo = Rubbish
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183755/hetzner-vs-ovh-vs-contabo-vs-netcup-which-one-might-be-the-worst/p1

• @vitobotta said: What are you using for minio storage?

A VPS with 4GB RAM and 100GB SSD, I wanna try it on buyvm slab to see if it works better than my current vps.

• @vitobotta said:

I don't have set any means to test, but since yesterday my images on idrive load better through cloudflare cdn, which means I got less 404s from my mastodon instance while uploading timeline's assets to idrive.

I'll just increase the timeout env for the time being for my case.

Hiccups happen here and there, I'm just glad they were aware of this and took action.

• @TrK said:

@vitobotta said: What are you using for minio storage?

A VPS with 4GB RAM and 100GB SSD, I wanna try it on buyvm slab to see if it works better than my current vps.

This way you are limited by the storage on the vps

@arda said:

@vitobotta said:

I don't have set any means to test, but since yesterday my images on idrive load better through cloudflare cdn, which means I got less 404s from my mastodon instance while uploading timeline's assets to idrive.

I'll just increase the timeout env for the time being for my case.

Hiccups happen here and there, I'm just glad they were aware of this and took action.

Yeah and I have to say support was pretty fast, which is a good sign.

Thanked by 1arda
  • @vitobotta said: This way you are limited by the storage on the vps

I don't have that much storage requirement as of now, i might host it at home with CF Tunnel or on a dedicated server if needs arise in future.