Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you protect a server at home?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you protect a server at home?

I want to move to a home setup. A few questions...
So I've always used Cloudflare Free to protect my websites, I can just point the DNS to my IP at home to change it.
That's great, but how do I have Cloudflare Free protect my ports for game servers and everything else? I don't see how to set that up.

Do I need to lease a single IP from a different company, but how does that protect me from DDOS and etc...?

Is there a different CDN other than Cloudflare Free that I should be using?

How do you guys do it? Because my knowledge is only limited to Fail2Ban & CDN. I always depended on datacenter to do everything else.

If I need to pay for a CDN & IP & whatever else, maybe sticking to rented servers is cheaper. Lol

Comments

• You don't do this that is how. Most ISPS have provisions in their contracts to not allow this type of thing. Residential customers can get some fines and be banned from the ISP.

Business customers are usually different but pay much more for the lines and have different contracts.

This is in the U.S. of course but hey do what you want when you want and see how it turns out.

• @AuroraZero said:
    You don't do this that is how. Most ISPS have provisions in their contracts to not allow this type of thing. Residential customers can get some fines and be banned from the ISP.

Business customers are usually different but pay much more for the lines and have different contracts.

This is in the U.S. of course but hey do what you want when you want and see how it turns out.

I contacted my ISP, waiting for a reply.
    I don't get it though, I have multiple friends that I game with who have servers from home. Like I never realized it was a problem.

• Get a cheap ddos protected VPS and host your services via VPN to the VPS

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Nanja said:

@AuroraZero said:
    You don't do this that is how. Most ISPS have provisions in their contracts to not allow this type of thing. Residential customers can get some fines and be banned from the ISP.

I don't get it though, I have multiple friends that I game with who have servers from home. Like I never realized it was a problem.

Wait until your friends get a DDOS that takes out three neighborhoods. Then maybe you will understand better.

• @darkimmortal said:
    Get a cheap ddos protected VPS and host your services via VPN to the VPS

this is a good suggestion

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Use Cloudflare tunnels to route traffic rather than using Cloudflare proxied records. That way you don't even need a static IP address

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @Nanja said:

@AuroraZero said:

Don't ask don't tell

• @AuroraZero said:

@Nanja said:

@AuroraZero said:

Wait until your friends get a DDOS that takes out three neighborhoods. Then maybe you will understand better.

I don't know about the others, but 3 of them have Verizon and that includes the Verizon DDoS Shield. Which is why they can probably have servers at home.

Also, my having a server at home doesn't violate AUP or ToS.

I think that maybe your ISP isn't friendly.

@FatGrizzly said:
    Use Cloudflare tunnels to route traffic rather than using Cloudflare proxied records. That way you don't even need a static IP address

Is this free?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Nanja said:

@AuroraZero said:

@Nanja said:

@AuroraZero said:

I don't know about the others, but 3 of them have Verizon and that includes the Verizon DDoS Shield. Which is why they can probably have servers at home.

Also, my having a server at home doesn't violate AUP or ToS.

I think that maybe your ISP isn't friendly.

@FatGrizzly said:

Is this free?

Free, Signup to Cloudflare Zerotrust/Access(free) and use it.
    https://developers.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-one/connections/connect-apps/install-and-setup/tunnel-guide/remote/#set-up-a-tunnel-remotely-dashboard-setup

Thanked by 1Nanja
  • Have fun is all I am going to say, do what you will.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2023

I don't know about US, but in Romania I can host anything legal.
    Of course, some providers offer static IPs, some don't, there are ways around that, but nothing can protect from a falling tree over your fiber on a Friday night. 72 hours by contract to repair. You can have redundant connection but, in general, they all come the same way, even in Bucharest where cables are underground, some "Dorel" (generic name for idiot operating big tools) might dig a meter away from the designed path and cut the internet to the whole street and beyond, regardless of provider.

Downtime happens way more often at home than in a datacenter, even if you live in a place which has a lot of redundancy which is exceedingly rare.

That being said, all other problems can be easily solved, but it would cost more than in a DC, because of the power costs, especially now.
    I have KS-LE special edition costing me some 16 Eur a month. The power for my LAPTOPS at home costs me 36 Eur at least, most of the time 50+ in spite of tweaking to consume little. A server will draw at least that.

Conclusion?
    In order to learn, by all means!
    In order to save, no way.

• @AuroraZero said:

This is just to keep the ISP away from any legal liability or a way to kick you off from the service, if you get a "fine" there's no way they can make you pay that and they will never disconnect your service for hosting a website from your home network, otherwise they wouldn't allow port forwarding etc.

• GRE Tunnel it's a best option and cheapest.

• brick