Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Replacing Cloudflare with other services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Replacing Cloudflare with other services

After learning a bit more about Cloudflare the company I am wondering if I just get rid of it.

At the moment I use, of Cloudflare:

• Registrar for my domains
  • DNS
  • proxy, for DDoS mitigation
  • CDN
  • Zero Trust Tunnels
  • Email routing

The registrar part is easy, I can just go back to Porkbun. What about the rest? Which service or services can replace those and still be as good or even better?

Thanks

Comments

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited January 2023

DDoS-Guard.net is a very good alternative but unfortunately the free plan only remains for those who picked up early.

The free plan was removed, no answers from part of DDoS-Guard they lost a good opportunity to fight side-to-side with cloudflare.

• Seems like this will take far more time than it'll ever give value for.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @vitobotta said: After learning a bit more about Cloudflare the company I am wondering if I just get rid of it.

What do you mean by this? What did you learn?

• @sandoz said:
    DDoS-Guard.net is a very good alternative but unfortunately the free plan only remains for those who picked up early.

The free plan was removed, no answers from part of DDoS-Guard they lost a good opportunity to fight side-to-side with cloudflare.

Sorry, no Russian companies for me

@emgh said:
    Seems like this will take far more time than it'll ever give value for.

I know, it's quite a bit of effort so I need to evaluate carefully.> @let_rocks said:

@vitobotta said: After learning a bit more about Cloudflare the company I am wondering if I just get rid of it.

Something is on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudflare#Controversies

• @sandoz said:

Imagine company that could fight cloudflare on a scale? Ddos-guard is a minuscule bacteria in comparison to cloudflare.

• Registrar for my domains: Porkbun
    DNS: Bunny.net
    proxy, for DDoS mitigation: ???
    CDN: Bunny.net
    Zero Trust Tunnels: Wireguard?
    Email routing: MXRoute?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

None can replace Zero trust itself, the tunnels are something different.

As far as I've researched, no service was able to replace/mimic Zero Trust

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta said:

Porkbun overregulation.

• @lowendclient said:

@vitobotta said:

Porkbun overregulation.

wdym?

• @bgerard said: proxy, for DDoS mitigation: ???

Cloudflare is the only "free" proxy/ddos protection and for the DNS part you have a lot of options. The rest of the list I 100% agree with.

• lowendclientlowendclient Member
    edited January 2023

@vitobotta said:
    wdym?

They suspend accounts accroding to website contents.
    Eg. Domain owner reverse proxy a third party website, third party website send a complaint to porkbun, porkbun suspend the domain owner's account.
    Whatever, it's not under the registar's scope of jurisdiction. Hosting company does.

Thanked by 1Greyhound
  • @lowendclient said:

@vitobotta said:
    wdym?

Eg. Domain owner reverse proxy a third party website, third party website send a complaint to porkbun, porkbun suspend the domain owner's account.
    Whatever, it's not under the registar's scope of jurisdiction. Hosting company does.

what do you use then?

• @vitobotta said:

@lowendclient said:

@vitobotta said:
    wdym?

what do you use then?

Pork is reasonably priced.

• @vitobotta said:

@sandoz said:

@emgh said:

I know, it's quite a bit of effort so I need to evaluate carefully.> @let_rocks said:

@vitobotta said: After learning a bit more about Cloudflare the company I am wondering if I just get rid of it.

Something is on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudflare#Controversies

That is pathetic. Since DDoS-Guard have his company registered in Belize and they aren't stupid at all.

DDoS-Guard was been proved to be resilient against complaints.

@LTniger said:

@sandoz said:

Imagine company that could fight cloudflare on a scale? Ddos-guard is a minuscule bacteria in comparison to cloudflare.

Not minuscule at all when they opened "free DNS and ddos protection CDN" they increased in the market. More forums and controversial websites are using them.

I shouldn't consider them minuscule. :)

• @sandoz said:

@vitobotta said:

@sandoz said:

@emgh said:

That is pathetic. Since DDoS-Guard have his company registered in Belize and they aren't stupid at all.

@LTniger said:

@sandoz said:

Not minuscule at all when they opened "free DNS and ddos protection CDN" they increased in the market. More forums and controversial websites are using them.

You are comparison is wrong. Cloudflare has way more money, brain resources, clientele and generaly inovating and escalating on global scale. You can compare amazon, google or microsoft to cloudflare.

• I am also looking for its alternative,
    Cloudflare support staffs are arrogant and have zero knowledge on how to handle fake abuse reports and read user mails.
    recently, i noticed i could not even manage my domains cloudflare is registrar of, like name server update, get auth code just because one of my domain was banned for DMCA.
    this could be a UI bug on their website. but they are not even ready to listen what user says.

if i post anything in their community forum they just tell to mail trust and safety
    if i mail them they just ignore and sent robot based text after i send 10+ mails continuously.

i wrote i am not able to update my domains name server, get auth code to move to another registrar.
    i explained everything with screenshots.
    their robot reply was

David N. (Cloudflare)

Jan 27, 2023, 8:20 PM GMT

Hello,
    Your account violated our terms of service which lead to a suspension. We will not be making any changes to your account and this is permanent.

i ended up transferring domains using this blog post.
    https://blog.centminmod.com/2021/02/28/2310/how-to-bulk-domain-transfer-out-from-cloudflare-registrar-via-cloudflare-api/

Thanked by 1lowendclient
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@vitobotta said:
    Registrar for my domains

NameCheap

DNS

NameCheap

proxy, for DDoS mitigation

Incapsula Imperva

CDN

Akamai

Zero Trust Tunnels

Oracle Cloud site-to-site VPN tunnels

Email routing

MXroute

Thanked by 2ariq01 lowendclient
  • @LTniger said:

@sandoz said:

@vitobotta said:

@sandoz said:

@emgh said:

@LTniger said:

@sandoz said:

You are comparison is wrong. Cloudflare has way more money, brain resources, clientele and generaly inovating and escalating on global scale. You can compare amazon, google or microsoft to cloudflare.

I never told that DDoS-Guard is bigger than Cloudflare. Of course cloudflare have more money. That is correct.

But DDoS-Guads was grown a lot, since some hacking forums and others are moving to them.

• emgemg Veteran

@vitobotta said:
    After learning a bit more about Cloudflare the company I am wondering if I just get rid of it.

At the moment I use, of Cloudflare:

• Registrar for my domains
    • DNS
    • proxy, for DDoS mitigation
    • CDN
    • Zero Trust Tunnels
    • Email routing

The registrar part is easy, I can just go back to Porkbun. What about the rest? Which service or services can replace those and still be as good or even better?

Thanks

Can you share links that motivated you to leave Cloudflare? I am curious.

Like you, I use Cloudflare for their "at cost" renewal of domain registrations. They force me to use their DNS as the authoritative DNS for my domains, but I would prefer to separate the two functions.

Are other domain registrars competing with Cloudflare for "at cost" domain registrations and renewals?

• I am in similar boat.

I don't use CF as registrar at all. (Using NameCheap, CosmoTown mainly, and GoDaddy/PorkBun for 1 domain each).

Problem with reverse proxy and ddos protection is, no one gives you that for free. Plus, the firewall, transformation and cache rules part is crazy good from them for free.

For Emails I am using Mutant Mail on most domains.

• @srch07 said:
    I am in similar boat.

I don't use CF as registrar at all. (Using NameCheap, CosmoTown mainly, and GoDaddy/PorkBun for 1 domain each).

Problem with reverse proxy and ddos protection is, no one gives you that for free. Plus, the firewall, transformation and cache rules part is crazy good from them for free.

Cosmotown... Ou boy, they are sooo bad. Low price is not worth the lost time and mental health. Poor panel, very dumb support, bugs in billing (double charges). They

• @LTniger said:

@srch07 said:
    I am in similar boat.

Cosmotown... Ou boy, they are sooo bad. Low price is not worth the lost time and mental health. Poor panel, very dumb support, bugs in billing (double charges). They

Panel, yup that's a museum piece, but since I don't use it for anything other than configuring nameserver, I don't care about it much.

Never had issue with support (contacted twice, and response was under 12 hours) or billing.

• @vitobotta said:
    what do you use then?

namesilo, dynadot

• HaxHax Member

DNS

CloudNS

Email routing

SimpleLogin/Anonaddy

• Interesting thread. Wasn't aware of CF controversies

I use them for DNS for all my domains. They are also registrar for one, other 3 are with Internet.bs and two with Register365 (cheap .ie domain for a year, and currently offering free .co.uk domain for a year)

• @LTniger said:

@sandoz said:

fr fr💀💀

• @lowendclient said:

@vitobotta said:
    wdym?

Yeah same thing happened here and I moved all my domains to Namecheap, much better. Porkbun did a shit thing.

Thanked by 1lowendclient
  • Fwiw, my Domains are with Domain Offensive ( https://www.do.de/ ). They have been solid for years.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

what about it?
    which part you don't like?

@Ympker said:
    Fwiw, my Domains are with Domain Offensive ( https://www.do.de/ ). They have been solid for years.

oh, a german company. its indeed "domain offensive" - if you are offensive to anyone, you will get kicked out.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited January 2023

Gcore seems decent and speedy solution. Who's using NS1? I wonder is there any free tier.

Edit: Indeed, NS1 has free tier with 500k queries. Very nice for small project. https://ns1.com/plans